• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best of the rest?

Craig

World Traveller
Who do you think is the best batsman/bowler/overall cricketer outside of the mainstream Test and ODI teams (I mean like Canada, Ireland, Scotland, Kenya, Netherlands, or even Namiba :ph34r: ) and could you name an XI (I will do one later)

For many years it was Steve Tikolo, but surely it would be Ryan ten Doeschate, I know he has 20 FC games, but I guess if he were playing in SA were eligible (ie not be a Judas :p) for them as well he could be good enough for South Africa (considering some of the players they have picked), but I'm only basing that on his stats without yet seeing him play, so forgive me there if I'm wrong.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
IMO a top 5 would be

1.Ryan Ten Doeschate
2.Thomas Odoyo
3.Ryan Watson
4.Steve Tikolo
5.John Davison

An X1 IMO would look like this

Bas Zuiderent
John Davison
Ryan Watson
Steve Tikolo
Ryan Ten Doeschate
Eoin Morgan
Niall O'Brien
Thomas Odoyo
Paul Hoffmann
Dave Langford Smith
Peter Ongondo

The_Bunny

State Regular
Dwayne Levrock has a case for inclusion....

ODIs 17 886 545 19 /5/53 5/53 28.68 3.69 46.63 0 1 0
First-class 8 2191 956 37 7/57 25.83 2.61 59.21 1 3 1

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain

I'm just curious - having been denied the pleasure of seeing him bat against England what's his batting like? I imagine he could hit the ball a long way - but I'd love to see him bat with Inzy...to watch those two running a quick single....:laugh:

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Bowling wise, I've not seen much of either, but Odoyo is more of a strike bowler than ten Doeschate (sp?), who plays as a fourth or fifth seamer in the Essex side.

Tikolo, Odoyo and Shah would have been good enough to play for several other ODI sides at the peak of their careers. Tikolo in particular, had he had the exposure.

steds

Hall of Fame Member

Although all of the above stats have come against associate nations, you have a point.

Watson and Ten Doeschate would be right up there, I imagine.

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
My top 5 would be

1. John Davison (obviously)
2. Odoyo
3. Doeschate
4. Will Porterfield (Ireland, has an average of 70 doesnt he?)
5. Ryan Watson

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
My top 5 would be

1. John Davison (obviously)
2. Odoyo
3. Doeschate
4. Will Porterfield (Ireland, has an average of 70 doesnt he?)
5. Ryan Watson
Surely you can't rate the bottom two above Shah and Tikolo, even though they are getting on in the years. Davison's batting hasn't been quite as impressive over the last year or so either (prepares to be buried under a deluge of hundreds).