• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Woolmer or Moody - who do England fans prefer as coach ?

Frederico

Cricket Spectator
Well the news is that England's coach after the World Cup is likely to be one of thse two gentlemen......who do you want to see coach England ?

Matt79

Global Moderator
I wouldn't have minded seeing Moody replace Buchanan, but we've decided to go another way. I think he'd be good for England.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
I was going to say take Chappell, but then Ganguly is back now so i don't care if he stays there or not.

Anyway answer to the question is Woolmer.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As far as I'm aware, Moody's staying with Sri Lanka, that's about as certain as anything ever is...

And if I had to choose between Duncan Fletcher and Woolmer for England, give me Duncan Fletcher every time.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
If Woolmer committed to living in England fulltime (rather than SA) I would take him.

He has been a pioneering and successful coach.

I have no issues with Moody, but I dint know what seperates him from the pack (IAH, I havent been following him in SL though)

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Moody - I just think he's abit more of a fresh voice than Woolmer would be - 1999 was his chance but I think he wanted a break from the international scene at that time. My worry is that we won't get either - unless we flop horrribly at this WC I think Fletcher might do this summer (remember assuming we get to Super 8 but no furtherr there isn't a big gap between the WC and the First Test v WI) and the ECB might groom Peter Moores for the job as the safe in-house choice. A mistake IMO - I'd take Moody over Moores any day.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
With the crucial exception of Woolmer being British... and IMO past experiences suggest the first thing you should look for on the CV of a coach is being a non-national of the side you're appointing to.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Moody - I just think he's abit more of a fresh voice than Woolmer would be - 1999 was his chance but I think he wanted a break from the international scene at that time. My worry is that we won't get either - unless we flop horrribly at this WC I think Fletcher might do this summer (remember assuming we get to Super 8 but no furtherr there isn't a big gap between the WC and the First Test v WI) and the ECB might groom Peter Moores for the job as the safe in-house choice. A mistake IMO - I'd take Moody over Moores any day.
I honestly think there'd be far worse choices than Moores, even though he's British. I'd prefer someone like Sandeep Patil personally (if he's still doing coaching - haven't heard a thing from him for ages) but I'd take Moores over Woolmer, being an insider (as Nielsen shows with Australia) has it's advantages.

Of course, the preference for me would be just keep Duncan Fletcher.

Last edited:

adharcric

International Coach
Richard said:
I'd prefer someone like Sandeep Patel personally (if he's still doing coaching - haven't heard a thing from him for ages) but I'd take Moores over Woolmer, being an insider (as Nielsen shows with Australia) has it's advantages.

Of course, the preference for me would be just keep Duncan Fletcher.
First of all, it's Patil. Now, really? Why would you want him as the England coach?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because he seemed damn good coach, he's a non-Brit, and he hasn't worked with anyone else recently as far as I'm aware.

I'm not too sure about Tom Moody, personally, I'd prefer him to stay with SL (which he seems to have pledged to do). And there don't really seem to be any other young, non-British options. Dav Whatmore, too, as far as I'm aware is pledged to Bangladesh.

Don't think Bracewell, for instance, works as an international coach, though I'd not be 100% unhappy with John Wright, if he's available.

Personally, though, as I've said 100 times - I don't see that there's anything wrong with Duncan Fletcher.

MiRPuRi ExPreSS

Cricket Spectator
England can have Bob Wollmer now, by the looks of it he biding his time with the Pakistan team until he gets the chance to coach England. Then hopefully Waqar Younis can take over the Pakistan team as supremo.