Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Woolmer or Moody - who do England fans prefer as coach ?

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Poker Boy View Post
    Moody - I just think he's abit more of a fresh voice than Woolmer would be - 1999 was his chance but I think he wanted a break from the international scene at that time. My worry is that we won't get either - unless we flop horrribly at this WC I think Fletcher might do this summer (remember assuming we get to Super 8 but no furtherr there isn't a big gap between the WC and the First Test v WI) and the ECB might groom Peter Moores for the job as the safe in-house choice. A mistake IMO - I'd take Moody over Moores any day.
    I honestly think there'd be far worse choices than Moores, even though he's British. I'd prefer someone like Sandeep Patil personally (if he's still doing coaching - haven't heard a thing from him for ages) but I'd take Moores over Woolmer, being an insider (as Nielsen shows with Australia) has it's advantages.

Of course, the preference for me would be just keep Duncan Fletcher.
    Last edited by Richard; 11-03-2007 at 01:05 PM.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    I'd prefer someone like Sandeep Patel personally (if he's still doing coaching - haven't heard a thing from him for ages) but I'd take Moores over Woolmer, being an insider (as Nielsen shows with Australia) has it's advantages.

Of course, the preference for me would be just keep Duncan Fletcher.
    First of all, it's Patil. Now, really? Why would you want him as the England coach?

Because he seemed damn good coach, he's a non-Brit, and he hasn't worked with anyone else recently as far as I'm aware.

I'm not too sure about Tom Moody, personally, I'd prefer him to stay with SL (which he seems to have pledged to do). And there don't really seem to be any other young, non-British options. Dav Whatmore, too, as far as I'm aware is pledged to Bangladesh.

Don't think Bracewell, for instance, works as an international coach, though I'd not be 100% unhappy with John Wright, if he's available.

Personally, though, as I've said 100 times - I don't see that there's anything wrong with Duncan Fletcher.

Cricket Spectator
    England can have Bob Wollmer now, by the looks of it he biding his time with the Pakistan team until he gets the chance to coach England. Then hopefully Waqar Younis can take over the Pakistan team as supremo.

Breakout Champion!
    I hear Kev Goughy's an 80/1 outsider.

Quote Originally Posted by steds View Post
    I hear Kev Goughy's an 80/1 outsider.
    A word of advice. Dont back that particular pony
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

No, he's odds-on for the job as Bulgaria National Coach, *inside word* there.

Big fan of Woolmer. I think he's got an innovative mind. It would be very sad when he leaves Pakistan after the WC, as is expected.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    With the crucial exception of Woolmer being British... and IMO past experiences suggest the first thing you should look for on the CV of a coach is being a non-national of the side you're appointing to.
    I think the reason why successful coaches have fairly often been from another nation is more about bringing new perspective to a side and different ideas rather than them just being "international". Countries often have a pattern of coaching and cricketing ideas that filter from the top down to grassroots levels (maybe vice-versa, bit "chicken and the egg-ish". Also explains why John Buchanan has been successful for Australia, because he doesn't conform to the conventional Australian cricketing ideas.

Cricket Spectator
    look at www.4sportsake.com woolmer is a blogger there, hes done a Q and A intresting reading

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    I think the reason why successful coaches have fairly often been from another nation is more about bringing new perspective to a side and different ideas rather than them just being "international". Countries often have a pattern of coaching and cricketing ideas that filter from the top down to grassroots levels (maybe vice-versa, bit "chicken and the egg-ish". Also explains why John Buchanan has been successful for Australia, because he doesn't conform to the conventional Australian cricketing ideas.
    Marsh and Simpson were successful, though, too, TBF. And while they might not exactly be "typical Aussies", they're more typical cricket-minds than John Buchanan!

Aside from Australia, the only really good coaches have been coaching teams which are not their own national side...

Wright and India
    Rixon and New Zealand
    Duncan and us
    Woolmer and South Africa AND Pakistan
    Whatmore and Sri Lanka
    King and West Indies (though it's a bit too early to judge there, TBH)
    Kenya and Patil

I challenge anyone to name me a non-Australian coach who has had a really successful time with his own national side. I guess some Kiwis might argue Aberhart and whoever the guy before him was, but I reckon if they were so good they'd have stayed longer.

Simpson was the first coach that they had, though. The introduction of a coach for the first time is a pretty similar effect to what I described above.

Marsh does give the impression of having a pretty "Australian" viewpoint, although that's just pure speculation because he stays away from the media and his thoughts on cricket are rarely sought after nor heard about. He gives a distinct impression that he was a background man who seemed to more "facilitate" rather than "lead'.

The old "head of the family" only, rather than head-of-family and teacher.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information