• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Woolmer or Moody - who do England fans prefer as coach ?

Fusion

Global Moderator
Big fan of Woolmer. I think he's got an innovative mind. It would be very sad when he leaves Pakistan after the WC, as is expected. :(

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
With the crucial exception of Woolmer being British... and IMO past experiences suggest the first thing you should look for on the CV of a coach is being a non-national of the side you're appointing to.
I think the reason why successful coaches have fairly often been from another nation is more about bringing new perspective to a side and different ideas rather than them just being "international". Countries often have a pattern of coaching and cricketing ideas that filter from the top down to grassroots levels (maybe vice-versa, bit "chicken and the egg-ish". Also explains why John Buchanan has been successful for Australia, because he doesn't conform to the conventional Australian cricketing ideas.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think the reason why successful coaches have fairly often been from another nation is more about bringing new perspective to a side and different ideas rather than them just being "international". Countries often have a pattern of coaching and cricketing ideas that filter from the top down to grassroots levels (maybe vice-versa, bit "chicken and the egg-ish". Also explains why John Buchanan has been successful for Australia, because he doesn't conform to the conventional Australian cricketing ideas.
Marsh and Simpson were successful, though, too, TBF. And while they might not exactly be "typical Aussies", they're more typical cricket-minds than John Buchanan!

Aside from Australia, the only really good coaches have been coaching teams which are not their own national side...

Wright and India
Rixon and New Zealand
Duncan and us
Woolmer and South Africa AND Pakistan
Whatmore and Sri Lanka
King and West Indies (though it's a bit too early to judge there, TBH)
Kenya and Patil

I challenge anyone to name me a non-Australian coach who has had a really successful time with his own national side. I guess some Kiwis might argue Aberhart and whoever the guy before him was, but I reckon if they were so good they'd have stayed longer.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Simpson was the first coach that they had, though. The introduction of a coach for the first time is a pretty similar effect to what I described above.

Marsh does give the impression of having a pretty "Australian" viewpoint, although that's just pure speculation because he stays away from the media and his thoughts on cricket are rarely sought after nor heard about. He gives a distinct impression that he was a background man who seemed to more "facilitate" rather than "lead'.