• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Heart Breakers

archie mac

International Coach
Today we lost by one run, and now look certain to miss out on the finals, by just this one loss:@

Anyway I thought it would be good to hear about others most heart breaking defeats in the great game:)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ah, your team! I sees, I does! :laugh:

Hmm... Exeter CC Sunday XI had more than 1 game like that in the 2003 season - we could quite possibly have won every game bar 1... and in the end we lost 4 out of the 5 close ones and missed promotion.

We achieved it the following season, and again the one after, and were positively hammered last season being completely out of our depth. I really, really hope I can become a proper bowler next season, and a proper player available all the time, and help us bounce back. Become Jeff's Matthew Hoggard, is my dream, TBH.

Swervy

International Captain
was on the other side of a heart breaker last season, in our leagues cup. It was the semi final vs a team in a lower division.

They set us 145 to win in 40 overs. ..we were going nicely along. I was out for 37 with the score about 75-2, looking ok.

We managed to get to 21 to win with 10 overs left and 7 wickets, and wickets started tumbling a bit.

but still, the scores were all tied, three overs left, 4 wickets in hand.

At this stage you are thinking you should be safe. But then our number three batsman got out bowledand then another got out. New batsman comes in, after a few deliveries, the new batsman misses one, The keeper fumbles it and the non-striking batsman calls for the run. THis is it, we all thought!!!!! We are in the final!!!!

the keeper picks up the ball and throws down the stumps, and up goes the umps finger. Now, the batsman given out, didnt think he was out. He basically told the umpire to eff off.
The umpire then gave the other team 5 penalty runs.I wanted to throttle the batsman.I was fuming

Panic stations!!!! 6 to win all of a sudden , and one wicket left. The opposition were well on top here. Only two overs to go. Our number 11 isnt exactly the most responsible batsman either.

With one over left we needed four to win, one wicket left, the number 11 facing. He actually blocked the first two balls. Third ball, he pulls and it flies to the boundary. Victory!!!!

How gutted must the opposition have been though!!!1

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Ah, your team! I sees, I does! :laugh:

Hmm... Exeter CC Sunday XI had more than 1 game like that in the 2003 season - we could quite possibly have won every game bar 1... and in the end we lost 4 out of the 5 close ones and missed promotion.

We achieved it the following season, and again the one after, and were positively hammered last season being completely out of our depth. I really, really hope I can become a proper bowler next season, and a proper player available all the time, and help us bounce back. Become Jeff's Matthew Hoggard, is my dream, TBH.
We stayed up last season...

open365

International Vice-Captain
My school cricket team have won 1 game in 3 years.

Last game of last year, we got bowled out for 98(20 overs) and by the end of their 20 they were 98-9, and won.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
WFT?

A) How did I miss that and
B) How TF did we manage that?
Jeff got injured and therefore didn't play on Sundays. Pat took over the captaincy for the last few end-of-season SDL games, against Stokeinteignhead, St James and Shaldon. That resulted in a slightly more aggressive selection policy and much more aggressive captaincy involving short legs, short extra covers and multiple slips. Stoke were beaten, St James folded for 89 and Shaldon went the same way. Final table here.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
We lost a game by 2 wickets first game back after Christmas - they needed and got 1 off the last ball to win.

no1_gangsta_786

U19 Cricketer
Came runners-up in the leage.Final game of the season and they were in first place and we were in second. Ended up them needing 9 off the last over with 8 wickets in hand...controversial umpiring gave them victory...2 dodgy calls for wides! :(

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
This season the team I coached got into a huge mess against a team we should have easily beat.

We fielded and bowled the worst I have ever seen and we needed to chase 164 in 25 overs.

We were in further trouble chasing until one player smashed 30 off 12 balls.

Cut a long story short, we needed 2 off the last ball.

Ball hit straight to mid on. The batsmen take off running and it would have been a close runout chance if he lobbed the ball to the bowler. He didnt, instead he panicked and had a shy at the stumps, missed and the ball went for an over throw. Winners :)

I actually felt sorry for the opposition, to lose in such circumstances against a team you had no chance of beating on paper was soul destroying. It would have made their season to have won that game.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jeff got injured and therefore didn't play on Sundays. Pat took over the captaincy for the last few end-of-season SDL games, against Stokeinteignhead, St James and Shaldon. That resulted in a slightly more aggressive selection policy and much more aggressive captaincy involving short legs, short extra covers and multiple slips. Stoke were beaten, St James folded for 89 and Shaldon went the same way. Final table here.
The St.James instance is about all I recall...

Daym about not playing in those games, though...

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Stayed relatively heart-break free, its either a win or just a crushing defeat for me. Whenever the team loses its a heartbreak, nobody likes to be beaten,

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
Lost a game a few years ago where we needed about 15 runs to win with four wickets in hand. Got down to five to win with one wicket in hand. Left armer bowling over the wicket to the right hander bowls a double bouncer (both bounces pitching outside leg), the batsmen then inside edged the ball onto his pads and was given out LBW.

Had a much bigger heartbreaker in rugby. Last game of the season, we hadn't won one. We're leading 8-7 in the dieing minutes, opposition in attack. They throw a wild pass, our No.8 goes for an intercept but drops it. Referee calls it an "intentional knock on" and they get a penalty right in front to win it 10-8 on fulltime.