• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hatrick with 2 balls

mummyjen

Cricket Spectator
Hello Everyone

The local radio station has been asking this question for the last couple of days and no one seems to know the answer.
Who was the cricketer who got a hatrick with 2 balls. - thats right
we have heard Merv Hughes to Dennis Lilliee and everyone in between
So does anybody out there in Cricket Land know the answer
He wants to know when where and how he did it.
We thought it might be Craig McDermott - but I don't know how......

Thanking you all in advance

Mummyjen
(mother of boys!!)

Josh

International Regular
I want to know how someone took a hattrick off 2 balls to begin with, nevermind who it was!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Courtney Walsh and Jermaine Lawson did it against Australia (more than a decade apart). As those hat-tricks were spread across two innings, two different balls were used.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:lol: at some of the content.

The OP evidently meant 2 different cricket-balls and everyone bar Liam presumed 2 deliveries!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Which, of course, is impossible)

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you easily get a hat-trick off two legitimate deliveries if one of the dismissals was stumped off a wide? Maybe I'm missing something.

The two cricket balls argument is definitely the answer though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you easily get a hat-trick off two legitimate deliveries if one of the dismissals was stumped off a wide? Maybe I'm missing something.

The two cricket balls argument is definitely the answer though.
Doesn't that go down as a run-out? Or is that only if it's a no-ball?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The bowler cannot get a wicket of a no-ball. Only way a wicket can fall off one is if the batsman's stupid enough to get out handled-the-ball or hit-the-ball-twice. Or a run-out, but that's after the ball, and during the running following it.

He can get a stumping off a wide, though.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Can I bring a bit of mischeif into this? Simon Hughes in "A Lot of Hard Yakka" said he once finished a match with two wickets in two balls (the match Middlesex won the 1990 CC) so I wonder - if he had took a wicket with his first ball in his next match (which he didin't) would that count as a hat-trick - in which case you could get a hat-trick spread over 2 matches!!:laugh:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I once took a hat-trick playing for 2 different teams on the same day - Exeter CC U16s in the morning, Jeff Stanyer's (Formerly Known as Exeter Third) XI in the afternoon.

Each with different team-mates, so no-one in the 2nd team understood why I was so incredibly pleased to take a wicket with my 1st ball.

Dad once told me there was someone at Huddersfield when he played for them who took a wicket with the last ball of 1988 and another 2 with his first 2 of 1989... another strange hat-trick.

As far as I understand, it's not something officially defined as it's not remotely important, it's just something for you to make what you want of it.

Last edited:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Can I bring a bit of mischeif into this? Simon Hughes in "A Lot of Hard Yakka" said he once finished a match with two wickets in two balls (the match Middlesex won the 1990 CC) so I wonder - if he had took a wicket with his first ball in his next match (which he didin't) would that count as a hat-trick - in which case you could get a hat-trick spread over 2 matches!!:laugh:
A hat-trick refers to 3 wickets in 3 balls in the same match.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Wiki's been known to over-simplify things before, though...
That's not an oversimplification though. You can't really state the definition of a hat-trick in any more complex way. Or rather, it's unnecessary to do so.

It states clearly "three batsmen with consecutive deliveries in the same match." Hardly an oversimplification.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It could be if there is somewhere (which there might be for all I know) which defines it as "wickets with 3 consecutive deliveries".

I've never seen anything, myself, which confines it to one game.