• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Hatrick with 2 balls

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It could be if there is somewhere (which there might be for all I know) which defines it as "wickets with 3 consecutive deliveries".
That would be an oversimplification of the matter. I'll bet you anything that that is the definition of a hat-trick in cricket. (ie 3 in 3 in a match)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As I say - I'm yet to be convinced there is a definition of one anywhere in cricket - whether it be by MCC, Lord's Taverners, I$C$C, The ACSAS or whoever.

If there isn't, Wiki saying it's so can't really be said to be unequivocal.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
Can I bring a bit of mischeif into this? Simon Hughes in "A Lot of Hard Yakka" said he once finished a match with two wickets in two balls (the match Middlesex won the 1990 CC) so I wonder - if he had took a wicket with his first ball in his next match (which he didin't) would that count as a hat-trick - in which case you could get a hat-trick spread over 2 matches!!:laugh:
Of course, you COULD get a hattrick over three matches (ignoring the one game bit :happy: ):

Finish game one with one ball.
Be bought on, take the last wicket of game two with your first ball of that match.
Start your spell in game three with a wicket.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I probably said the same thing there.

Indeed, I've probably said the same thing in the 1,352 threads we've had where such a thing has come-up...
LOL, it did ring a bell

I don't see what's different about separating a hat-trick between two innings/matches personally

Swervy

International Captain
A hat trick has to be three wickets in three balls by the same bowler in the same match..no doubt about it.

the hat trick can however be spread over the two innings of a two innings a side match.

Thought this was just common cricketing knowledge to be honest

open365

International Vice-Captain
That's not an oversimplification though. You can't really state the definition of a hat-trick in any more complex way. Or rather, it's unnecessary to do so.

It states clearly "three batsmen with consecutive deliveries in the same match." Hardly an oversimplification.
But wikipedia is an openly editable site so would you be wrong if i edited to say "a hat trick can be completed across two seperate games"?

open365

International Vice-Captain
You know when i first saw this thread i thought it was that one you just linked to.

Let's not do it again, it doesn't matter much tbh.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
This quote from the other thread amuses me now:

Hat-tricks are tricks for showponies and attention-seekers (or those who seek to build people up in the same way as showponies and attention-seekers seek to build-up themselves) - they aren't really important.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A hat trick has to be three wickets in three balls by the same bowler in the same match..no doubt about it.

the hat trick can however be spread over the two innings of a two innings a side match.

You did?

Where did you learn such a thing was unequivocally defined, then?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member

It is, I had higher hopes for people on here

Though hattrick is not an official criceting term (ie defined in the laws). It is therefore open to a level of interpretation, however most people (ie those that count) consider it to only count in the same game.

You would be hard pressed and be mocked (despite it not being an official term) if you tried to convince some one ie player, statistician etc that you took a hattick across 2 or more games.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
This quote from the other thread amuses me now:
Why only now?

(16toS's response to me I find funnier, personally)

Some people make hat-tricks out to be some big, important thing and as I said then and a few hours ago - they're not, there's no difference between W . W W and W W W . is there?

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Because it was only yesterday that you were so keen to tell us about your so-called "hat-trick"

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Because it was only yesterday that you were so keen to tell us about your so-called "hat-trick"
And I did so positively revelling in the memory?

I'd take a 5-for over a hattrick anyday. Or, for that matter, 8-24-3 with no hattrick over 8-50-3 with a hattrick.