• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Good youth talent?

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Well, there's alot of people around here, and I figure that some of you must be involved in youth cricket, so I was wondering if anyone could talk about any good youth (U-19, or so) talent they've seen around, or heard of.

One guy I played against a few weeks ago was a Tauranga High batsman - Cain Williams. I'm not too sure of the spelling of his first name, but you get the idea. But seriously, this guy is phenomenal. I played against him a few years ago, and managed to pick him up early (that's the key with all batsmen, I s'pose) so I didn't really see his ability much. This time I didn't manage to get him early.

First ball, I bowled a great ball imo - on the off stump and swinging away - basically what you're taught to bowl as a FM bowler. I thought I might have got him again. But, instead, he went forward, and with a crack hit it on the up with a cover drive. Four. A hell of a shot. Next couple of deliveries, he left them. Then, I bowled a shorter one on middle. It wasn't short at all - about his waist height. He effortlessly pulled the ball wide of mid-on for four - just pivoted on one foot and creamed it. So, I tried to be a bit more careful, and managed to see off the next 2 deliveries.

Later on, he had progressed to 30 - odd and they had pretty much won the game. I was bowling what turned out to be the final over. First delivery, crack, a terrific on drive for four. Second ball, crack, another drive for four. With both of those, he didn't hit them hard - just timed them well and sent the ball whistling. With the third ball, it was a yorker on off. He simply shuffled around to offstump, and flicked it off his legs for six, to bring up his fifty and seal the match. It was some batting.

This guy is by far the best batsman I've ever seen at youth level, and I've been playing for more than 6 years now. I talked with my coach about him, and it turns out that my coach had seen him play before. He's been around youth cricket for upwards of two decades now, and he says that he's the best batsman he's seen in NZ since Martin Crowe. He also says he'll bet money that he'll be playing in the 2011 world cup. He also played against the Indian U-19s and scored runs against them as well. Ian smith has also given him praise IIRC. He was getting centuries by the time he was 13. Quite incredible, no?

And he's only 16. :blink:

DCC_legend

International Regular
Sounds awesome, one of the guys i play with in school plays for ireland under 19's, being a bowler im always trying to think of ways to get him out, it never works!

bowl a good length, back of a length, yorkers, slower balls! pretty much everything i bowl he can play, easily at that! He scored his first school century last season against one of our schools greatest rivals, it came of 70 odd balls, absolutely fantastic knock!

(ps, sorry about the lack of full-stops, the button isnt working and exclamation mark is the only other button)

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Well, there's alot of people around here, and I figure that some of you must be involved in youth cricket, so I was wondering if anyone could talk about any good youth (U-19, or so) talent they've seen around, or heard of.

One guy I played against a few weeks ago was a Tauranga High batsman - Cain Williams. I'm not too sure of the spelling of his first name, but you get the idea. But seriously, this guy is phenomenal. I played against him a few years ago, and managed to pick him up early (that's the key with all batsmen, I s'pose) so I didn't really see his ability much. This time I didn't manage to get him early.

First ball, I bowled a great ball imo - on the off stump and swinging away - basically what you're taught to bowl as a FM bowler. I thought I might have got him again. But, instead, he went forward, and with a crack hit it on the up with a cover drive. Four. A hell of a shot. Next couple of deliveries, he left them. Then, I bowled a shorter one on middle. It wasn't short at all - about his waist height. He effortlessly pulled the ball wide of mid-on for four - just pivoted on one foot and creamed it. So, I tried to be a bit more careful, and managed to see off the next 2 deliveries.

Later on, he had progressed to 30 - odd and they had pretty much won the game. I was bowling what turned out to be the final over. First delivery, crack, a terrific on drive for four. Second ball, crack, another drive for four. With both of those, he didn't hit them hard - just timed them well and sent the ball whistling. With the third ball, it was a yorker on off. He simply shuffled around to offstump, and flicked it off his legs for six, to bring up his fifty and seal the match. It was some batting.

This guy is by far the best batsman I've ever seen at youth level, and I've been playing for more than 6 years now. I talked with my coach about him, and it turns out that my coach had seen him play before. He's been around youth cricket for upwards of two decades now, and he says that he's the best batsman he's seen in NZ since Martin Crowe. He also says he'll bet money that he'll be playing in the 2011 world cup. He also played against the Indian U-19s and scored runs against them as well. Ian smith has also given him praise IIRC. He was getting centuries by the time he was 13. Quite incredible, no?

And he's only 16. :blink:
Kane Williamson, I think you mean.

http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en&q="Kane+Williamson"&meta=cr=countryNZ

Langeveldt

Soutie
Jon Jon Smuts - Graeme College batsman who just keeps scoring 100's.. I think someone mentioned him before on here.. Reckon he could be playing his first test for England in 6-7 years..

Sounds awesome, one of the guys i play with in school plays for ireland under 19's, being a bowler im always trying to think of ways to get him out, it never works!

bowl a good length, back of a length, yorkers, slower balls! pretty much everything i bowl he can play, easily at that! He scored his first school century last season against one of our schools greatest rivals, it came of 70 odd balls, absolutely fantastic knock!

(ps, sorry about the lack of full-stops, the button isnt working and exclamation mark is the only other button)
Ha ha get a new keyboard.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Jon Jon Smuts - Graeme College batsman who just keeps scoring 100's.. I think someone mentioned him before on here.. Reckon he could be playing his first test for England in 6-7 years..
Never know, he might make it in South Africa.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Having never seen the guy I couldnt possibly comment on him. However, scoring centuries at 13 or younger isnt particularly rare or special.
Graeme Hick got one aged six IIRC... and Sam Northeast managed the small matter of eight in his final year at Prep School (13).

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
There was an article on Kane Williamson about 2 or 3 years ago when he scored like 4 consecutive centuries at an U17 tournament at the age of 13.

He's still very young and needs some time yet, but he's already got alot of people talking..much like when Ross Taylor and Jesse Ryder were coming through the U19's.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So did pretty much everyone but a larger number than not tend to defect to OT - and many defect and continue to posting there only.