• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Good youth talent?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
12 year old Nitesh Kumar who plays in the Toronto and District League here in Canada. Scouts have been eyeing him for quite some time now and he's said to have the skills and ability of a 15 year old English player, and is now being sent to a cricket academy in India. Quite remarkable tbh.
Well there are some good ones and bad ones.

Seems a remarkably dumb statemement to make. What is a 15 yr old English player? and who is qualified to make that comment?

TBF, sending him away at 12 seems harsh, but I guess no more harsh than boarding school.

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Well there are some good ones and bad ones.

Seems a remarkably dumb statemement to make. What is a 15 yr old English player? and who is qualified to make that comment?

TBF, sending him away at 12 seems harsh, but I guess no more harsh than boarding school.
Hey I don't make the news, I just report it :p. Let me quote...

... "One player who has caught the eye of scouts is 12 year old Nitesh Kumar, who recieved glowing reports from the school of excellence run by English county club Somerset. Four years ago he was assessed as having the same skills as a 15 year old English player. Hale is in the process of having Kumar sent to a cricket academy in India." ...

Seems like I made an error initially, he was assessed at the age of 8 to have the same skills as a 15 year old English player. Yes dumb statement, but the main point is that he is pretty darn good.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Its positive to see a bit of batting talent around NZ but I still feel we're lacking good up & coming pace bowlers.

Ian Butler might not be the same again, Richard Sherlock will probably give the game away soon if his problems persist and Te Ahu Davis has suffered a few injuries as well as lack of form.

Bond could go at any time and after that we're seriously lacking quality pace bowlers.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Its positive to see a bit of batting talent around NZ but I still feel we're lacking good up & coming pace bowlers.

Ian Butler might not be the same again, Richard Sherlock will probably give the game away soon if his problems persist and Te Ahu Davis has suffered a few injuries as well as lack of form.

Bond could go at any time and after that we're seriously lacking quality pace bowlers.
That's been worrying me too. Davis made a return for ND yesterday, and did fairly well, picking up 3 wickets, but I really doubt now whether Sherlock will ever play for New Zealand, which is a tremendous dissapointment. On the positive side, Hamish Bennett is highly rated, although his performances so far haven't really backed up his praise.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Corey Anderson must be very highly rated if Canterbury are willing to put a fast bowler into a First class match at the age of 16. Canterbury must win this match to make the State Championship final.

I think Tim Southee could make a rapid rise in the next season or 2 as well.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Jon Jon Smuts - Graeme College batsman who just keeps scoring 100's.. I think someone mentioned him before on here.. Reckon he could be playing his first test for England in 6-7 years..
His currently apart of the South African under 18 side and they supposedly think a lot of him (impressed against the Irish full team earlier this year), decent bowler as well from all accounts. Smuts has been earmarked as a key player for Richard Levi's under 19 side and the World Cup next year in Kuala Lumpur. So the kid does a future in South Africa though he would be slightly disappointed that he could not force his way into his provincial side this year.

readie

State Regular
Phillip Hughes

Plays in New South Wales for Western Suburbs In Sydney. Played NSW under 19's last year at 16/17 years old. He has been chosen to go to the Center of Excellence, included in the players are Mark Cosgrove, Daniel Cullen, Ben Hilfenhaus, and Moises Henriques.

He played Cricket in the same comp as one of my mates, and was playing 1st grade cricket in his area at age 12 or something and scoring centuries regularly.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Phillip Hughes

Plays in New South Wales for Western Suburbs In Sydney. Played NSW under 19's last year at 16/17 years old. He has been chosen to go to the Center of Excellence, included in the players are Mark Cosgrove, Daniel Cullen, Ben Hilfenhaus, and Moises Henriques.

He played Cricket in the same comp as one of my mates, and was playing 1st grade cricket in his area at age 12 or something and scoring centuries regularly.
He has had a good start to first class cricket now, made a 64 against NZ yesterday in a tour match, and has scored a 100+ and a 198 for NSW. He will open for Australia in the future.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Interesting, saw Kane Williamson bat for a bit against England U19 last summer. Certainly one to keep an eye on - I can see him in the NZ side in the next 24 months.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well, there's alot of people around here, and I figure that some of you must be involved in youth cricket, so I was wondering if anyone could talk about any good youth (U-19, or so) talent they've seen around, or heard of.

One guy I played against a few weeks ago was a Tauranga High batsman - Cain Williams. I'm not too sure of the spelling of his first name, but you get the idea. But seriously, this guy is phenomenal. I played against him a few years ago, and managed to pick him up early (that's the key with all batsmen, I s'pose) so I didn't really see his ability much. This time I didn't manage to get him early.

First ball, I bowled a great ball imo - on the off stump and swinging away - basically what you're taught to bowl as a FM bowler. I thought I might have got him again. But, instead, he went forward, and with a crack hit it on the up with a cover drive. Four. A hell of a shot. Next couple of deliveries, he left them. Then, I bowled a shorter one on middle. It wasn't short at all - about his waist height. He effortlessly pulled the ball wide of mid-on for four - just pivoted on one foot and creamed it. So, I tried to be a bit more careful, and managed to see off the next 2 deliveries.

Later on, he had progressed to 30 - odd and they had pretty much won the game. I was bowling what turned out to be the final over. First delivery, crack, a terrific on drive for four. Second ball, crack, another drive for four. With both of those, he didn't hit them hard - just timed them well and sent the ball whistling. With the third ball, it was a yorker on off. He simply shuffled around to offstump, and flicked it off his legs for six, to bring up his fifty and seal the match. It was some batting.

This guy is by far the best batsman I've ever seen at youth level, and I've been playing for more than 6 years now. I talked with my coach about him, and it turns out that my coach had seen him play before. He's been around youth cricket for upwards of two decades now, and he says that he's the best batsman he's seen in NZ since Martin Crowe. He also says he'll bet money that he'll be playing in the 2011 world cup. He also played against the Indian U-19s and scored runs against them as well. Ian smith has also given him praise IIRC. He was getting centuries by the time he was 13. Quite incredible, no?

And he's only 16. :blink:
^ Kane Williamson dig.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Phillip Hughes

:(