• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best ODI innings in a losing cause

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
Hayden just scored 181 in a losing cause for aus. What other ODI knocks come to mind that were played in a lsing cause?

Inzimam's 128 in Karachi, where Pakistan was chasing 350 against India and ended up at 346.
Ponting's Hundred against SA in that crazy game
Richie Richardson's knock in the semi final against Aus in 1996

what else?

Swervy

International Captain
I once scored 310 over 5 lunchtimes at school in Brisbane when I was 9, and I dont remember winning, so I must have lost...does that qualify

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
I once scored 310 over 5 lunchtimes at school in Brisbane when I was 9, and I dont remember winning, so I must have lost...does that qualify
310 runs when you were 9..i dont about qualification in this thread but that might be the higest score for a 9 year old

Tomm NCCC

International 12th Man
Would say Pontings 164, but that game was just mental To be honest. Nevertheless, still a good knock on a losing cause. Nice

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
Would say Pontings 164, but that game was just mental To be honest. Nevertheless, still a good knock on a losing cause. Nice
I would say in terms of pressure and situation Inzi's knock is better..primarliy because they chased...secondly it was India's first tour of pak in 26 years or so, so the expectations were very high...and thirdly like always inzi came to bat in a mini collapse
when the score was 35/2 in 7 overs and the required RR was over 7.5....he scored 122 off 102 balls..and when he got out pak needed 68 runs off 8 overs with 6 wickets in hand....it was a very speical knock...i rate it as the best ODI knock by Inzi

ozone

First Class Debutant
what else?
Zimbabwe v England, 3rd ODI 2001

Zimbabwe, batting first, collapsed to 19 for 3 before Andy Flower hit 142* off 128 balls. England then chased the total of 261 with 15 balls remaining. Flowers innings was made more incredible by the fact that no one else scored more than 56 (Streak) and no Englishman scored 50 (Ramprakash top scoring with 47).

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
Zimbabwe v England, 3rd ODI 2001

Zimbabwe, batting first, collapsed to 19 for 3 before Andy Flower hit 142* off 128 balls. England then chased the total of 261 with 15 balls remaining. Flowers innings was made more incredible by the fact that no one else scored more than 56 (Streak) and no Englishman scored 50 (Ramprakash top scoring with 47).

good un...players like Andy ussually played good innings in a losing cause

ozone

First Class Debutant
More Recently...

KP for England in the last ODI against SA in 2004/5. On a bowlers pitch (at least for the English Batsmen), he hit 116. His last 66 came in 30 balls. SA struggled but got there thanks to a partnership between Prince and Boucher.

Swervy

International Captain
310 runs when you were 9..i dont about qualification in this thread but that might be the higest score for a 9 year old
it was just dicking about at lunch though..I was eventually caught out by a kid just walking by (ie not playing), and that was the end of my innings:laugh: I was fuming

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But the thread title states best ODI innings...

If you're going deep down, there's a hundred innings in English domestic cricket and I've played in one game (40 overs) where one guy scored 170 and we still managed to chase it down (I like to think I won that game for us because I got 8-38-0 which was far, far less expensive than anyone else - a rare good performance by myself).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The most engaging ODI innings I've seen in a losing cause of late has to be Saleem Mukuddem's 4-ball classic against England. Far from the best, of course, but I just had to mention that and this seemed as good as place as any.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But the thread title states best ODI innings...

If you're going deep down, there's a hundred innings in English domestic cricket and I've played in one game (40 overs) where one guy scored 170 and we still managed to chase it down (I like to think I won that game for us because I got 8-38-0 which was far, far less expensive than anyone else - a rare good performance by myself).
Economy rate of 4.75 - that can never ever be good.