• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Kenya be given test status

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
I think this world cup kenya will bring a big case with them. Last World Cup's semi finalist already feel short handed about not being a full member. The cricket crazy population of Bangladesh gave ICC an extra incentive to give them test status. But they have been playin gone-sided cricket for a lon gitme, may its time for ICC to make 2 tiers and give test status to kenya too, and long with bangladesh and zimbabwe put them in the bottom tier. And give them limited exposure to the top sides in the world by scheduling a 2 match test series against 2 sides in the top 8, one at home one away, and they can play each other too during that period.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
how do you expect them to improve when they never any chance to play better opposition

winning the super league for 3 straight times havnt done any good to them..
I suggest to make a league of the 2nd string of test nations, like Bangladesh, Zimbabwe, Kenya, and some others.

They aren't going to get better by being nailed by Australia, England, South Africa, India, Pakistan ect.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
If you had read the whole intial post then may be the long answer wouldnt have been simply no
I did read the whole post.

I wouldn't have it called 'Test Status', until they got into the higher tier of the Test System, so the long answer is No.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Not at the moment, but they should be encouraged to play stronger sides. I can't see why Kenya can't play international sides when teams tour South Africa. Give them a 3 day First class game, it can only help Kenya's cause. They should also be introduced to more international One Day tournaments.

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
I did read the whole post.

I wouldn't have it called 'Test Status', until they got into the higher tier of the Test System, so the long answer is No.
actually you just gave your longer answer, it was no, plus 47 more words.

anyway,i think they should be in the lower tier and play the big 8's here and there....this should give them good experience of the longer version. And they need to be constantly involved in ODI tournaments.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
actually you just gave your longer answer, it was no, plus 47 more words.

anyway,i think they should be in the lower tier and play the big 8's here and there....this should give them good experience of the longer version. And they need to be constantly involved in ODI tournaments.
Totall agree :thumbup:

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

I suggest Kenya be given more ODIs to be played against the better and tougher oppositions and hopefully, if they can muster up some wins within a bracketed period, they be given test status :sleep:.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Exactly. Test status at the moment would be utterly pointless as they are not ready for the consistent demands that would bring. Kenya ought to be playing the the SA domestic competitions, and competing against sides that tour SA, as well as playing ODIs worldwide.

There also needs to be an established, coherent domestic structure and a guarantee we'll avoid another meltdown à la 2004/05.

So a resounding no.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
No. The cricket and its board has been a complete mess for a while now. Although there is no doubt it is improving, there is no guarantee it will not collapse again. A point shown by the recent player rumblings over payments.

Over the past 4 years, we have seen matchfixing, player strikes, the team playing no games for 18 months, the collapse of the cricket board etc.

Kenyan cricket is in no shape to become a test nation.

Add into the fact that their 1, debatably, World Class player, Steve Tikolo will be retiring soon and it becomes even more clear that Kenya would not be able to sustain a Test standard team.

Maybe in the future, but not in the forseeable.

DCC_legend

International Regular
Got to agree with that.

Ok they may be alright against some lower teir OD sides but against bigger sides they are almost unproven and definetly not consistantly good against sides of a higher status. Playing in a SA domestic competition for a few years would give the players experience of a higher standard of cricket. They then should play a few series' against the Top 8 teams and achieve a few good results against these sides.
Beyond this they should look to play some 4 day games and prove their fitness at a level similar to test cricket. If all goes well they maybe should be considered, but this could take upwards of 5 - 10 years, as it may take time to get a balanced and completely consistant side as some of the older, more experienced, players will retiring soon (such as captain Steve Tikolo).

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
My point is they need more exposure than they are getting now.

they should have played more than 39 ODI's since the WC semi finals last year.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
My point is they need more exposure than they are getting now.

they should have played more than 39 ODI's since the WC semi finals last year.
A lot of that was their own fault.

Also, further exposure in ODIs in the future (which I would agree with) has nothing to do with becoming a Test nation.