• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Kenya be given test status

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Kenya getting Test status now would be even more stupid than Bangladesh getting it in 2000, though not quite as stupid as Zimbabwe retaining it post-2003.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
There is already a Tier 2 or Div 2; World Cricket League and Inter Cont. Cup. Thats enough for the for the moment. People seem to forgot that Scotland and Ireland won the first two Inter Cont. Cup and Kenya haven't won yet. Until they prove they are a class above the other Associaties then they should be happy playing World Cricket League and Inter Cont. Cup.

Bangladesh have shown recently in ODIs against Scotland and Kenya they are a class above. It wouldn't help their process by dropping back to the World Cricket League. Bangladesh are where Sri Lanka was in 1994 IMO. Intersting its taken them 8 years to reach this level and it took Sri Lanka 12 years. IMO fast tracking them is paying off.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Bangladesh are where Sri Lanka was in 1994 IMO. Intersting its taken them 8 years to reach this level and it took Sri Lanka 12 years. IMO fast tracking them is paying off.
That is being very, very generous and something Bangladesh have done little to deserve.

In that 12 years compared to 8, they played roughly the same number of ODIs, roughly 150 (Ill ignore Tests as Bangladesh are even further behind there).

Sri Lanka had 36 wins against Test nations (excl. Zim)

Bangladesh have 4 :blink:

There is no doubt Bangladesh have progressed (it would be impossible not to), but I would not say they are even close to being a decent team or that the fast tracking is paying off.

FRAZ

International Captain
That is being very, very generous and something Bangladesh have done little to deserve.

In that 12 years compared to 8, they played roughly the same number of ODIs, roughly 150 (Ill ignore Tests as Bangladesh are even further behind there).

There is no doubt Bangladesh have progressed (it would be impossible not to), but I would not say they are even close to being a decent team or that the fast tracking is paying off.
I have 2 questions !
1. What is there needed to bring better winning percentage in the tests?
2. Which of the following options are the most important ones to bring home the test level glory ?
a. Popularity of the game in the country
b. One good team luckily developed
c. Enough talent in the local system
d. One good shocking performance (either in the tests or Odis) which lifts the team's morale all together on long term basis
e. Continuous and immense supervision of one team (having average players)
f. Just by chance getting a few true match winners

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I have 2 questions !
2. Which of the following options are the most important ones to bring home the test level glory ?
a. Popularity of the game in the country
b. One good team luckily developed
c. Enough talent in the local system
d. One good shocking performance (either in the tests or Odis) which lifts the team's morale all together on long term basis
e. Continuous and immense supervision of one team (having average players)
f. Just by chance getting a few true match winners
3-4 quality players and depth. A strong domestic structure and the ability to produce good fast bowling

c

Popularity of the game isnt very important. If it was then India with its population of over a billion would never lose a game and Australia with its population of around 20 mil would be in the middle of the pack.

As Ive said before, Zimbabwe produced a decent Test team from a population of 3 schools. Also the US has more players domestically than a lot of other higher ranked countries.

Its about systems and processes, a strong domestic structure and being able to produce good fast bowling or 1 freak cricketer ie Murali.

Having lots of cricketers is unimportant if they cant take the step up. For example soccer is the most popular sport in the US in terms of junior participation however few continue into and past high school and there are not the structures in place to make that massive participation convert into professional talent.

Last edited:

FRAZ

International Captain
3-4 quality players and depth. A strong domestic structure and the ability to produce good fast bowling
Excellent point there and I guess it indeed is the best point over all the other options !!!!
I have this in my mind for quite a long time and have discussed the importance of fast bowling many times before. It really changes the way spectators or countrymen look at the game + A fast bowler does spark the game up .

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever

I think it has a lot to do with time too. It is not necessarily the first generation of players that really move ahead. I think if cricket is raised in the public conciousness, and infrastructure is built due to that revenue, the future generations will be the ones that are competitive. Twelve years from their join date, I think BL will start to be competitive and win a lot more games, including perhaps a test or two at home vs top eight sides.

archie mac

International Coach
I think it has a lot to do with time too. It is not necessarily the first generation of players that really move ahead. I think if cricket is raised in the public conciousness, and infrastructure is built due to that revenue, the future generations will be the ones that are competitive. Twelve years from their join date, I think BL will start to be competitive and win a lot more games, including perhaps a test or two at home vs top eight sides.
I thought they were already cricket mad before they were given Test status?

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Excuse my ignorance, but how close (geo) are some of these 2nd tier contries? Could something like the WIs combined teams work?
Not a chance. Kenya is a bit south of the Horn - bordering Ethiopia and Somalia. Zimbabwe is hundreds of miles away in south east africa. There are several countires in between them. Map here.

The only combination could be is Zimbabwe with South Africa. But South Africa wouldn't even think about doing that, and rightly so.

And also, Bangladesh is east of India, If you were wondering.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I thought they were already cricket mad before they were given Test status?
You still need money for infrastructure, stadiums, etc. For that you need income from international matches. I do not think they should have been admitted when they were, but now that they are, I do think they'll be competitive soon enough (next five years) when the next generation of players mature.

BlackCap_Fan

State Vice-Captain
Another excellent idea. The yarpies and the ICC wont allow it though
No offense, but why is this an excellent idea? I can't fathom why.

Zimbabwe is miles away from Kenya, and seperated by several countries. But, more importantly, no country in the world wants to associate itself with Zimbabwe, for obvious reasons.

Except for Chavez, but he's a dolt and probably a bit nuts.