• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand vs India Tests & ODIs

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ have picked quite a surprising Max-Blacks squad to play India next Wednesday.

Infact all of them are NZ ODI players except one..that being Tama Canning who was going to play for NZ 2 years ago but had nationality issues after living in Australia for awhile. Yet another great all-rounder that NZ, now we just need the proper batsmen.

Team: Chris Cairns (captain), Andre Adams, Nathan Astle, Shane Bond, Tama Canning, Chris Harris, Paul Hitchcock, Brendon McCullum, Craig McMillan, Chris Nevin, Jacob Oram, Scott Styris

Originally posted by marc71178
Thats not madness, Srinath is I notice how, although he didn't want to represent his country, he was happy to play for Leicestershire last summer.
Srinath announced his retirement from test cricket BUT still wants to represent his country in onedayers, so your objection was baseless

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
But he was still happy to play 4 day cricket for Leicestershire at the same time his country were playing the longer form of the game and he didn't want to play for them...

Kimbo

International Debutant
I would have liked to have seen the max blacks side being a reflection of the best max players, not our odi team.
I guess they arent getting a chance because of the max being cancelled.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
lol, to be honest I think the team chosen are the best MAX players.

I mean...no one rivals Cairns at max cricket..no one.

Hitchcock is a master at bowling in max cricket so it was predictable that he'd get chosen. But im surprised that Shane Bond was chosen, I would have thought that the selectors might have wanted to keep him back so the Indian batsmen didn't get too much of a look at him before the 1st test.

Maybe players like James Marshall & Joey Yovich could count themselves unlucky.

Kimbo

International Debutant
But there are those guys that you just associate with MAX eg. Bulfin, Petrie... etc
you are probably right though, the most talented players in the country were picked.

But he was still happy to play 4 day cricket for Leicestershire at the same time his country were playing the longer form of the game and he didn't want to play for them...
There is a huge difference b/w county cricket and Intenational test cricket.Srinath was part of the team that played against the WI in test matches in WI earlier this year.His performance in that series was very poor , infact the other seamers in Nehra and Khan performed better.Srinath did well to announce retirement from test cricket in grace after that series as he knew he wasn't upto the task for longer duration of the game.Unfortunately he was forced to make a come back, which wasn't a very sucessful one and now he has been dropped!! This is what Srinath wanted to avoid initially, he wanted to quit the game himself rather than being shown the door!!!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by vishnureddy
Sorry forgot about Cairns there. He always comes good against India:(!:(!:(!
Is he fit again then?

And if he is, will he last the whole series this time, or will he get injured again and put himself out of the World Cup?!
No one answered this, but I'm guessing he is fit - but what are the chances of him remaining fit throughout the series?

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Bulfin has not played even for Wellington in about 2 seasons & I doubt they'd want to pick Petrie who's getting on a bit these days despite his dominance of Max in recent times.

When it comes down to it, the best players of Max really are the best ODI players in NZ & I think in the end the team chosen reflects that.
I think its good that they selected Tama Canning because after reviewing his statistics for Auckland he's one of the best in NZ.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
I hope the Indians know what the rules of Max cricket are :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: but it will be damn good i tell ya, with those fielding restrictions and seeing sehwag and tendulkar , and the rest of the batting lineup !

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
This will be Bonds first proper home series & im sure he's lining up for a good one. I just hope he doesn't feel the pressure that he's under from the public because of his performances in the last year.

He just needs to turn up & do his normal routine, and i'll be watching with interest tommorow when Canterbury plays Otago as to how he bowls.

Hopefully with Cairns back aswell as Vettori in good form, the pressure will be taken off him & he can charge in & clock past the 150 km mark which will be great to see.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
India probably have one edge over NZ bowling wise and thats Harbhajan, I feel that on certain occassions certain NZ batsmen are liable to play poorly to spin. Boje & Murali can claim to that although Warne can't (in recent times that is)

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Originally posted by Tim
India probably have one edge over NZ bowling wise and thats Harbhajan, I feel that on certain occassions certain NZ batsmen are liable to play poorly to spin. Boje & Murali can claim to that although Warne can't (in recent times that is)
But will the wickets take spin? I don't think they will be that helpful?