• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketers with dodgy stance

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
There should be so many of them though these 5 top my list.
Any others?

Chanderpaul,
Michael Yardy,
Clayton Lambert,
Kris Srikanth,
Ian Healy

irfan

State Captain
Sherwin Campbell.

Didn't have a dodgy stance by all means but the guy shuffled his feet back and forth so many times he inevitably was out of position to play the ball. Usually ended up nicking to McGrath by that stage.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Macca (NZ)
My personal favourite. I remember he tried a square stance once against Warne, but the delivery came so much faster that he changed to a straight one. Then he tried it against Mark Waugh, and the ball hit the edge of the bat and it went straight to Junior, who took the catch. I've seen him do that against Warne yet again, and it worked. He even did a reverse-sweep in that stance against Giles!

Mahindinho

State Vice-Captain
Murali ;)

Agreed re. Chanderpaul -- while I'm a fan of his, he's not exactly one of your classically elegant batsmen!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Chanderpaul's so strange in that he has spells where he changes his stance, sometimes he's perfectly normal, sometimes really exaggerated.

No-one, incidentally, surely, can beat Peter Willey in the latter part of his career in that regard.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Herschelle Gibbs, now similarly has a Shivnarine esque stance and it’s probably more exaggerated than Chanderpaul’s currently is.

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Daniel Vettori has a very strange stance - rather hunched over for a tall man.

Former England 'keeper Alan Knott had a very square on stance - quite effective but memorable many years later.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I always think Ganguly and Ed Joyce look really odd when they bat though they're not too abnormal.

Mal Loye has a pretty un conventioanl approach due to the positioning of his top hand as well.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Larry Gomes had a bizarre stance at one stage, IIRC, think it was latterly in his career.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh:

Shame someone so insignificant as Stuart MacGill is the only one to support such a thing... if someone important had similar attitudes we might get somewhere...

Interestingly, did you ever go on a Young Australia or whatever tour to Zimbabwe or if not what would your feelings have been were you confronted with the prospects?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Never went on a tour to Zimbabwe, and if chosen I would've went.

The issue for me with the Zimbabwe tours is that teams heading there are seen to be "approving" the situation by not boycotting. What the boycott achieves is highlighting the wrongs that are going on in the country. Unless the whole team decided not to go, which would be very unlikely as few would be really aware of what's going on and I'd doubt many would care (at least beforehand, their views may well change while in the country), there'd be nothing achieved out of one player boycotting as it wouldn't be highlighting to anyone the depth of the problem there, while I'm also of the opinion that denying their youth sides cricket is detrimental to the game in Africa.

Those most disappointed about a boycott would be the U/19 players themselves, I'd doubt the "heirarchy" would care sufficiently to make the boycott worthwhile.