• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa had been lambasted as "chokers" by their former opening bowler

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
I just read it on cricinfo that Alan Donald has said that the Saffers are chokers, but nothing in detail. Anyone has the article or news on it?

Its kinda harsh to talk about your own team right before the WC.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
*SHRUG*, its been true. Lately, India has taken over the mantle of being the pre-eminent chokers in cricket though.

With that said, until they beat someone in the final of an important tournament, the tag will stay. They did chase down 434 in the deciding ODI of the Aus-SA series, so I'm sure that counts for something.

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
*SHRUG*, its been true. Lately, India has taken over the mantle of being the pre-eminent chokers in cricket though.

With that said, until they beat someone in the final of an important tournament, the tag will stay. They did chase down 434 in the deciding ODI of the Aus-SA series, so I'm sure that counts for something.

well, SA have been flattering themselves at home, i think they will sit on that throne again very soon.

But in any case i dont think its nice to give comments like these

pup11

International Coach
I think such comments from a former South African player is the last thing The Saffers wanted to hear after their match against Ireland (where they were quite clearly humiliated).

I mean Donald has been the part of the South African team and the "chokers" title has been with The Saffers during his time too, so rather than backing his guys to do well this time around, to come up with such a statement so close to the WC was uncalled for.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Hmmm, can't see what his motives would be here other than simply to sell his article. Seems inappropriate coming from such an important symbol of SA cricket, and whilst I don't want to put blame on him regarding the 99 WC, he's hardly one to talk :ph34r:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
"Choke" and various variants on the word has to be the worst word ever used in sport, ahead in cricket even of "matchwinner".

Johnners

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmmm, can't see what his motives would be here other than simply to sell his article. Seems inappropriate coming from such an important symbol of SA cricket, and whilst I don't want to put blame on him regarding the 99 WC, he's hardly one to talk :ph34r:
Haha, fair point. His motive does seem strange though, hopefully he's not going to join a line of former players who take great delight in tearing apart the current teams at every possible opportunity and then remind us all how good it was in his era etc. etc.

Slow Love™

International Captain
TBH, reading Donald's actual remarks in the link Corli provided, I don't think he bears ill will with the comments at all, and I can't really see why people are acting as if he didn't include himself and the teams he played in as exhibiting that fragility, because he quite clearly does.

He's in a commentating capacity these days, and it looks like he was making a frank comment. Can't see anything wrong with what he said, personally.

SA101

Cricket Spectator
Donald come on bra...

I have not read the comments but if they are true then the immense ignorance that resides in Donald's head embarrases me. What I want to ask is: Why Allan? Why are we "chokers"?

Is it because perhaps out of the possible 3 or 4 times we have chocked, you have been at the helm? - the most famous of which left you standing like a complete tosser, in the 1999 CWC, at the non strikers end after Lance Klusner gave you a loud and clear call "YES". I don't know but in cricket 101, at age 9 level, I was always taught that if the batsmen hit the ball past the bowler it is his call - and being the non batsmen, you shut your mouth and run. You choked fool. The team recovered in that match, from being far behind, and it was character from the team esp.Lance but you, yes you, choked. Not Lance not the team but you!

The other more notable time SA "choked" was when they calculated the DWL runs wrong after a heavy downpour in the last CWC - that was not a "choke", it was poor maths and Boucher stands to his word that he was under the impression the game was won at the time.

I am not saying SA has not had problems in handling big games but they have learnt their lessons and the degree from the University of Hard Knocks sits on the teams change room wall to serve as a reminder. When was the last time they "choked" - we were beaten by a vastly better WI team on the day in India for the champions trophy a while back but that was not a choke that was getting a beating by a better team - we did mount a great score but the WI boys came out guns blazzing and it was their day. We have not choked in a while....

Allan you are a SA boy - be proud and support us.

If you did not make the comments then I apologise.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Is it because perhaps out of the possible 3 or 4 times we have chocked, you have been at the helm? - the most famous of which left you standing like a complete tosser, in the 1999 CWC, at the non strikers end after Lance Klusner gave you a loud and clear call "YES". I don't know but in cricket 101, at age 9 level, I was always taught that if the batsmen hit the ball past the bowler it is his call - and being the non batsmen, you shut your mouth and run. You choked fool. The team recovered in that match, from being far behind, and it was character from the team esp.Lance but you, yes you, choked. Not Lance not the team but you!.

Thats a ridiculous comment, AAD was one of the hardest working players ever to play for us, and you have no idea what went on in the middle that day, whether he heard the call or not, what was going through his mind.. Calling SA's greatest player since re-admission a fool and tosser won't get you very far here..

However I agree with him being out of order saying this stuff.. Not appropriate, considering HE was never in a World cup winning side himself..

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I have not read the comments but if they are true then the immense ignorance that resides in Donald's head embarrases me. What I want to ask is: Why Allan? Why are we "chokers"?

Is it because perhaps out of the possible 3 or 4 times we have chocked, you have been at the helm? - the most famous of which left you standing like a complete tosser, in the 1999 CWC, at the non strikers end after Lance Klusner gave you a loud and clear call "YES". I don't know but in cricket 101, at age 9 level, I was always taught that if the batsmen hit the ball past the bowler it is his call - and being the non batsmen, you shut your mouth and run. You choked fool. The team recovered in that match, from being far behind, and it was character from the team esp.Lance but you, yes you, choked. Not Lance not the team but you!

The other more notable time SA "choked" was when they calculated the DWL runs wrong after a heavy downpour in the last CWC - that was not a "choke", it was poor maths and Boucher stands to his word that he was under the impression the game was won at the time.

I am not saying SA has not had problems in handling big games but they have learnt their lessons and the degree from the University of Hard Knocks sits on the teams change room wall to serve as a reminder. When was the last time they "choked" - we were beaten by a vastly better WI team on the day in India for the champions trophy a while back but that was not a choke that was getting a beating by a better team - we did mount a great score but the WI boys came out guns blazzing and it was their day. We have not choked in a while....

Allan you are a SA boy - be proud and support us.

If you did not make the comments then I apologise.
Haha bit harsh.

Mind you, as good as Lance was that day, and he is one of my favourite players ever, there is no doubt in my mind that he tightened up the minute the scores were level, because there was no run there IMO, and he didn't need to make that call. Its partly Lance's and partly Donald's. One thing that stands out though is the previous ball when Donald was almost run out by Lehmann for backing up too far. That then made Donald not back up when Lance hit the shot. Why Donald was not looking or responding to Lance is another thing mind you, but the famous incident is an amalgamation of various events. The game is probably better for it I reckon, though I don't think a SA fan would agree. :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Personally I think it would've been better for it IF Fleming's underarm roll to Gilchrist had slipped through his gloves and Donald had made his ground...

Why have one unthinkable twist when you can have two? :p

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, reading Donald's actual remarks in the link Corli provided, I don't think he bears ill will with the comments at all, and I can't really see why people are acting as if he didn't include himself and the teams he played in as exhibiting that fragility, because he quite clearly does.

He's in a commentating capacity these days, and it looks like he was making a frank comment. Can't see anything wrong with what he said, personally.
YET AGAIN, as with Kevin "Brett Lee tried to kill me" Pietersen, Jacob "I'll amputate my finger if neccessary" Oram, Graeme "Australia are on the way down" Smith and a whole massive trucket crateload of other blatantly obvious examples, something someone said has been misinterpreted through things being "lost in print".

Well done newspapers. 8-)