• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Glenn McGrath - Batsman

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
"in the World Cup, he has played 28 games and made three runs"

Thats a pretty interesting and funny article, I know he doesn't bat much but why is he so bad?
I guess he spends 99.999% of his time practicing bowling, which is probably sensible.

Fiery

Banned
"in the World Cup, he has played 28 games and made three runs"

Thats a pretty interesting and funny article, I know he doesn't bat much but why is he so bad?
I guess he spends 99.999% of his time practicing bowling, which is probably sensible.
Some people are just born unable to bat. McGrath has spent thousand of hours batting in the nets...but to be fair on him he's nowhere near the worst

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
I would say Pidge has improved his batting a lot compared to his early days in international cricket.

He wants to contribute in any way he can to his team, he thrives on perfection and while batting too its no different and thats why he gets so disappointed when he gets out cheaply.

His 61 against New zealand is his reward for all the determination and dedication that he puts in every time he goes out in the middle to bat.

Fiery

Banned
I would say Pidge has improved his batting a lot compared to his early days in international cricket.

He wants to contribute in any way he can to his team, he thrives on perfection and while batting too its no different and thats why he gets so disappointed when he gets out cheaply.

His 61 against New zealand is his reward for all the determination and dedication that he puts in every time he goes out in the middle to bat.
:laugh: pup goes into bat for him. Good on ya pup...it's probably for the best :thumbsup:

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, pretty good stuff there.

McGrath was much worse when he was new on the scene though. In the Chris Martin league at that stage. He's just an average number 11 these days.

Slow Love™

International Captain
"If he bats, it means Australia are in trouble; if he passes 5, they lose."

"If McGrath bowled to himself, he'd never concede a run."

Haha, starting to sound a bit Chuck Norris/Vin Dieselesque...

Evermind

International Debutant
Haha, pretty good stuff there.

McGrath was much worse when he was new on the scene though. In the Chris Martin league at that stage. He's just an average number 11 these days.
Never seen Martin bat, but he can't be worse than that! Average of 3+? In all honesty I could go out there and bat and probably get a better score.

Natman20

International Debutant
Never seen Martin bat, but he can't be worse than that! Average of 3+? In all honesty I could go out there and bat and probably get a better score.
Martin gets clapped when he edges a run but ussually doesn't last one or two balls on the other hand McGrath can at least defend a few

Martins average is boosted by the amount of not outs he gets (his avg prob below 4)

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Martin is just a shocking batsman. The crowd cheer when he hits the ball, regardless of whether it's an edge or not.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
Interesting to see all the references to Munaf Patel here. I seem to recall Arjun dubbing him one of his 'value added players', giving the reason that he had hit a ton on the Mumbai club scene or something.

McGrath wasn't all that bad by the end of his Test career. I think a lot of people forget that the tailenders in Test cricket, bar the extreme example of Martin, are still very good batsmen, just as most batsmen are still good bowlers. Jimmy Anderson was seen as good enough to bat at six or seven when he was recovering from injury playing for Burnley in the Lancashire League and there are plenty of overseas batsmen who come over here and rip teams apart with spin bowling.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Interesting to see all the references to Munaf Patel here. I seem to recall Arjun dubbing him one of his 'value added players', giving the reason that he had hit a ton on the Mumbai club scene or something.

McGrath wasn't all that bad by the end of his Test career. I think a lot of people forget that the tailenders in Test cricket, bar the extreme example of Martin, are still very good batsmen, just as most batsmen are still good bowlers. Jimmy Anderson was seen as good enough to bat at six or seven when he was recovering from injury playing for Burnley in the Lancashire League and there are plenty of overseas batsmen who come over here and rip teams apart with spin bowling.
Shabbir Ahmed is easily as poor as Martin and there have been a few awful tailenders from West Indies of late but aside from those it's hard to recall anyone quite so bad since... well, Devon Malcolm?

Probably missing someone, mind.

Ntini wasn't crash-hot when he started, either.