• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Worst Aussie ODI 11 EVER

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Recently the Sydney Morning Herald listed every player who has played One Day cricket for Australia - all 163 of them and challenged their readers to list the worst 11.

Sorry if there is a thread on this somewhere else in CW, but does anyone want to have a go at listing their worst 11.

I'll give you the names of the 163 players to refresh your memory.

As selectors usually pick their best player as the Captain, I suggest that the worst of the worst should be the nominated Captain.

http://blogs.smh.com.au/sport/archives/2007/02/pick_australias_worst_alltime.html#comments

My worst Aussie ODI 11 is as follows:

Ian Redpath - 5 matches batting av 9.20 - was obviously batting for a draw
Dav Whatmore - 1 match batting av 2 - Top coach
Jimmy Maher (C)- 26 matches batting av 25.76- Should have stayed in Queensland
Phil Carlson - 4 matches batting av 5.50 - Phil who?
Greg Ritchie - 44 matches batting av 27.4 - wouldn't have coped in today's fitness climate
Trevor Chappell - Right Arm underarm bowling exponent.
Tim Zoehrer - Wicketkeeper - personality cross between Stu MacGill and Kevin Pietersen
Mick Lewis - 7 matches bowling av 55.94 - enough said
John Maguire - 23 matches bowling av 40.47 - played during World Series Cricket
Bob Holland - 2 matches bowling av 49.50 - Greying leggie looked like someone's dad
Brendon Julian - 25 matches bowling av 45.31 - At least he has a good face for TV
Cameron White - 16 matches bowling av 50.25 - The best thing since burnt toast

Last edited:

Fiery

Banned
Very harsh on Greg Ritchie. Fat Cat was a great player to watch. He had all the time in the world to play his shots. I would be finding a spot for Glenn Trimble personally

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Very harsh on Greg Ritchie. Fat Cat was a great player to watch. He had all the time in the world to play his shots. I would be finding a spot for Glenn Trimble personally
You're probably right - Trimble had 2 matches with a batting av 4. Swapping one Queenslander with another.

Arrow

U19 Vice-Captain
I would have also thought Ritchie was pretty crap, but I was recently watching some world series classic matches on Foxtel and got to see more of him and he was actually quite a classy player and stroke maker.

Fiery

Banned
I would have also thought Ritchie was pretty crap, but I was recently watching some world series classic matches on Foxtel and got to see more of him and he was actually quite a classy player and stroke maker.
Too right he was. One of the most attractive batsman of his time...or any time really. Played with exquisite timing

Last edited:

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
That's his strike rate armchair... His ave was 25.76... (just to be pedantic)
So it was - I'd never call you pedantic Fiery, just careful and considered. Maybe I don't like Jimmy Maher and it was my subconscious playing tricks on me.

Josh

International Regular
Bit early to be putting White in that team, tbh. Only there because it's a Sydney publication lol

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Bit early to be putting White in that team, tbh. Only there because it's a Sydney publication lol
you only defend him because your victorian :p

Nah i do agree its abit early, though i dont think he will ever be a quality international bowler.

I was going to suggest Muller but it turns out he never played an ODI.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Very harsh on Maher. He was never given a consistent run in the side, even when he was scoring big ODI runs in S.A. '03.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
They've been doing a smilar XI for NZ on Radio Sport over the last few nights, called the "Mud XI" - pretty humourous actually.

thierry henry

International Coach
hmmm.....I can think of a few...Robert Kennedy? Carl Bulfin? Rod Latham? Matt Horne (assuming we are talking ODIs)?

Fiery

Banned
hmmm.....I can think of a few...Robert Kennedy? Carl Bulfin? Rod Latham? Matt Horne (assuming we are talking ODIs)?
I always liked Chunky Rod. Can't begrudge a guy who played fullback for Canterbury and made the NZ cricket team. I'd say Mark Richardson deserves an opening spot ahead of Matt Horne too

Last edited: