• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

X-Factor ... who would you pick.

TazzX

U19 12th Man
Im trying to settle an arguement with a friend(idiot).

Out of these players who would you guys pick as the ones most capable of turning a game on its head.

Pollock/Boucher/Gibbs vs. Oram/Vincent/McCullum

:ph34r:

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Given that Pollock is by far the best bowler of the 6, I'd choose the South African trio. More room to do so.

Fiery

Banned
The South African guys have done it more often than the kiwi trio so I would say them but both sets of trios are equally dangerous players on their day

oz_fan

International Regular
Definately the South African trio. Pollock is the only quality bowler of the six and Gibbs and Boucher would also be two of the most destructive batsmen on their day (both have ODI scores of around 150). The NZ trio have shown in recent times what they're capable of but they haven't done it for as long or with the consistency of the South African trio.

Natman20

International Debutant
NZ pitches hamper everyones averages here but I think that SA trio are much more consistent although they all have entertainment values.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
We're talking of an X factor here, so the less fancied the player is, the more dangerous they are. While the South Africans are obviously better on reputation, the Kiwi trio can spring up a major surprise. This comparison isn't equal, unless you take everything into consideration, inclding batting, bowling and fielding of all in question.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I assume you're referring to test cricket?

Because if so, SA by a fair bit. ODIs its a little closer, but still SA.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Haha, I just find it weird that people mainly link the term "turn the match on its head" with ODI cricket. It happens in test cricket too.

pup11

International Coach
Yeah in the Odi games you can turn things now and again, but when you have to do it more consistently then thats where talent and skill matters and thats where the South African trio are way ahead of the Kiwi trio

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
In ODI you can turn the games quicky cause all it requires is a little luck and you're back in it. In Tests, the luck factor is mitigated by the fact that even if you get luckly, you still need to peform for a long period to come out ahead.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I might remind you that Bangladesh damn near beat Australia in a "Test", too...

The reason for both is that Bangladesh, incredibly, actually played better than Australia for a short period. Eventually, it had to happen. Luck had little impact on either.