• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England's chances in World cup '03???

CricketGuru

School Boy/Girl Captain
1)Australia
2)South Africa
3)Sri Lanka
4)Pakistan
5)India
6)New Zealand
7)WestIndies
8)England
9)Zimbabwe

This is just a guess so no harsh criticism.. :rolleyes: thanx

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The way I see it, Aus will qualify from our Group and then it's between England, India and Pakistan.

With the leveller of the conditions I think England may sneak through, but it is imperative they beat one of India or Pakistan in the Group games, and preferably both.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by CricketGuru
1)Australia
2)South Africa
3)Sri Lanka
4)Pakistan
5)India
6)New Zealand
7)WestIndies
8)England
9)Zimbabwe

I really doubt England are behind the West Indies, England crushed a similer team when they came over to England, they even had Lara then. England have since drawn with NZ and India and both England and India crushed Sri Lanka in England who you have put as 3rd...England should be at least 5th-6th

Also I know it was a guess but still England arn't that bad!!!

[Edited on 24/11/2002 by Rik]

Originally posted by Rik

I really doubt England are behind the West Indies, England crushed a similer team when they came over to England, they even had Lara then. England have since drawn with NZ and India and both England and India crushed Sri Lanka in England who you have put as 3rd...England should be at least 5th-6th

It doesn't matter at all whether England is better than NZ/SL and Windies or not, this is because those teams are in other group , which is a bit weaker and they will most probably make it to the super six.England will most probably miss the buss from group A while WI will most probably fail to reach the super six from group B!

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
NZ drew the test series with England but we did win the ODI Series 3-2, and it was only close after NZ decided to show little respect to the opposition after the hiding in Wellington.

SRTgrSDB

Cricket Spectator
England might win the WC '03 !

In WC, Favourites are doomed.In '83 Wi was Fav, but India went on to win the cup! In 87 Ind/Pak were fav but a young Aussie team won the cup.In 92 Aus and Eng were fav but Pak surprised everyone.'96 was even more surprising when SL shocked everyone by winning the cup.In '99 SA and Pak were fav's, Aus at one time were nearly out of the tournament, yet it was Aus who won it in the end!
Going by the history, i would say that an outsider like England might surprise eveyone by winning the cup!!

[Edited on 24/11/2002 by SRTgrSDB]

DirtySocks

Cricket Spectator
The final will be b/w Eng and WI

Well since being a fav & a host have gone against the teams in the previous WC's so far, i would say that we might see England and WI in the final of the '03 world cup! Both aren't tipped to win the cup, and are the only team to have reached the finals on three occassions.

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Their games against Australia doesnt prove anything about the style of cricket they will be playing in the Worldcup with a full squad and all hopefully, they will pose problems for teams and like the big score they scored in the Natwest Final their bowling will fire up too for sure

So i will say it will be a good contest and they might reach the super 6

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
This lot will be a thriller no doubt about it

Australia
Pakistan
India
England

tipped to get through in that order. But England could surprise ofcourse, a tight competetion with India and an inconsistent Pakistan might see them getting through. But at the moment it looks improbable. I would love to say that it is between India and England, but cricket is far too unpredictable for that. With Gough out, English chances have received a big blow. It will then largely depend on how the Indian and English bowlers perform on the SA tracks. Their batters are definitely going to be tested by Pakistan and Australia !

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Originally posted by Rik
Originally posted by CricketGuru
1)Australia
2)South Africa
3)Sri Lanka
4)Pakistan
5)India
6)New Zealand
7)WestIndies
8)England
9)Zimbabwe

Why do we dwell in the past? Both England and West Indies are different teams now!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The early part of the Cup will be dominated by the 3 of them trying to squeeze into 2 places - will need a couple of moments of genius from any of the teams to do it (and they all have the players capable of doing it on the day!)

Bazza

International 12th Man
When the draw first came out it was obvious both groups have the appearance of one team certain to make it through, 3 fighting it out for 2 more places, and 2 teams without much chance.
England need to play well against India and Pakistan as was mentioned.

There are now an official set of rankings which are fairly complicated and took alot of time and effort to establish. They place England 7th, which you could contest, but that's not unreasonable.

India's batting didn't fire today and it showed how weak they are. Sehwag was their best bowler and a previously thought to be weak WI side crushed them by well over 100 runs. Both these facts tell a story.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
India's batting didn't fire today and it showed how weak they are. Sehwag was their best bowler and a previously thought to be weak WI side crushed them by well over 100 runs. Both these facts tell a story.
And it doesn't take a genius to figure this out....yet....

Originally posted by Bazzaroodoo
It tells that if a side is without two of its best batsmen, then there is a realistic chnce that it will struggle, no matter how talented the substitute are.

jaspalsinghrana

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I'm amazed to learn that some people actually think that England can win the cup or even reach super six.

This English side is probably going to lose half a dozen players to injuries mid way through the WC.Jones and Gough are already out of the cup and the remaining players are also struggling .Also after the Ashes series England will be down and out, i don't think such a team can play upto its potential(which we all know is not much).Teams like Namibia and Bangladesh might cause some problem for the English side in the WC!

[/quote]

[Edited on 24/11/2002 by Rik] [/quote]

Why do we dwell in the past? Both England and West Indies are different teams now! [/quote]

In the natwest series played in 2000, England won a match against WI and lost one to them! In the last ten onedayers, England have won just 4 and lost 5 matches to WI.
As for the teams, England at that time had Gough,Hicks,Thorpe, while WI used to play with players like Cambell,Rose,Adams,Mclean and King, none of them are selected now, so they are very different teams from that time!

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Are you just voting for "win" so you can take cheap shots?

Yes, we have a chance, but it's very slim as we can't put a streak together unless we're playing weak sides (NatWest Series 2000). WI are a totally different side as shown by their wins over the "favourites" India.

Said it before, I'll say it again...

Australia Favourites, then SA
Then the Rest

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It tells that if a side is without two of its best batsmen, then there is a realistic chnce that it will struggle, no matter how talented the substitute are.
Funny that, when Englishmen mentioned that to discuss recent poor results, we were told not to make excuses!

Originally posted by marc71178
Funny that, when Englishmen mentioned that to discuss recent poor results, we were told not to make excuses!
In England's case its a never ending story, they will have to live with that.Its almost impossible for England to have a completely fit squad, thast not the case with us!