Cricket Player Manager
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 202

Thread: Greg Chappell - just how good do people think he was?

  1. #1
    Global Moderator Matt79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Colll----ingggg---woooooodddd!!!!
    Posts
    17,426

    Greg Chappell - just how good do people think he was?

    In a lot of discussions I've had/seen here, there seems to be an almost consensus that G. Chappell was the best Aussie batsman apart from Bradman. I'm just curious as to how highly or not people rate him compared to the other usual suspects (Lara, Tendulkar, Richards, Compton, Sobers) as one of the all time great batsmen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Irfan
    We may not like you, your filthy rich coffers or your ratbag scum of supporters but by god do we respect you as a football team
    GOOD OLD COLLINGWOOD - PREMIERS IN 2010

    Is Cam White, Is Good.

  2. #2
    Hall of Fame Member FaaipDeOiad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    19,104
    He's right near the very top IMO. After Bradman, he's in the same group as the likes of Sobers and Hobbs. Fair call for a spot in the middle order in an all-time XI.
    I know a place where a royal flush
    Can never beat a pair

  3. #3
    International Coach adharcric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    10,898
    He fits right into the bottom of my Top 10. The top tier has Bradman, Sobers and Hobbs followed by Tendulkar, Richards, Hammond and Lara. Chappell and Gavaskar are next IMO.

  4. #4
    Cricket Web Staff Member archie mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    canberra Australia
    Posts
    10,748
    Almost the perfect batsman to watch, classical with all of the shots, never wore a helmet. Played against great bowlers on lesser pitches and with inferior bats.

    Ponting is yet to finish, but will finish in front of GSC for mine
    You know it makes sense.


  5. #5
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,360
    You wont find many players better off their legs than Chappell.

    I remember his horror spell in 1981 in both tests and ODIs, when he really looked like he would never score a run again, but that was about the only time he looked out of sorts , and he still managed a double hundred!!!

    You can add to his record the success he had in the WSC Supertests.

    I have a hunch though that Ponting will eventually be considered slightly better given Punters sheer productivity
    rave down, hit the ground


    MSN: djjacksono@hotmail.com

  6. #6
    C_C
    C_C is offline
    International Captain C_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    World
    Posts
    6,990
    He's an alltime great in my books but a tad overrated. Have heard several older fans comment that the difference between the two Chappell brothers were Ian was a 'crunch' player and Greg a fairweather batsman. Perhaps his spectacular collapse against sustained quality bowling by the windies was an implicit confirmation. But still in the top 10 alltime for me - but behind Braddles, Tendulkar, Lara, Viv, Sobers, Gavaskar and Border.


    Beauty to watch though- easily the most graceful and 'subcontinental/caribbean-like' Aussie batsman i've ever seen. So that'd compensate for the fairweather part in my books.

  7. #7
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,360
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C View Post
    He's an alltime great in my books but a tad overrated. Have heard several older fans comment that the difference between the two Chappell brothers were Ian was a 'crunch' player and Greg a fairweather batsman. Perhaps his spectacular collapse against sustained quality bowling by the windies was an implicit confirmation. But still in the top 10 alltime for me - but behind Braddles, Tendulkar, Lara, Viv, Sobers, Gavaskar and Border.


    Beauty to watch though- easily the most graceful and 'subcontinental/caribbean-like' Aussie batsman i've ever seen. So that'd compensate for the fairweather part in my books.
    I always feel that the graceful batsmen tend to be classed as the 'fair weather' players...a bit unfair in Chappell case I think.

    His bad run in the 1981/82 series was more down to just bad form really, he also struggled vs Pakistan (apart from the double century) that summer, and it wasnt only in the tests, but the one day series as well.(and really it was an awful run for such a class player, his confidence was shattered, and his technique really suffered for it, and even in his 61 in the Third test wasa real struggle)

    Chappell in fact had played brilliantly only 2 years before that against an arguably better West Indian bowling attack, and also in 1975 as well (and as i say, he scored heavily in the West Indies during the WSC Supertests) so he had ceratinly shown that he could play vs the best the game had to offer

  8. #8
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    As a batsman..one of the best.

    As a leader/coach - One of the worst.

  9. #9
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy View Post
    You can add to his record the success he had in the WSC Supertests.
    No, you can't, they're rightly separate.

    You can add both to his "achievements" but you can't treat the two as the same.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

  10. #10
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    No, you can't, they're rightly separate.

    You can add both to his "achievements" but you can't treat the two as the same.
    well I never said treat them the same...but it is still a part of his record as a cricketer, and the standard of bowling was fierce in those Supertests by most accounts

  11. #11
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    In a lot of discussions I've had/seen here, there seems to be an almost consensus that G. Chappell was the best Aussie batsman apart from Bradman. I'm just curious as to how highly or not people rate him compared to the other usual suspects (Lara, Tendulkar, Richards, Compton, Sobers) as one of the all time great batsmen?
    IMO anyone who seriously attempts to separate Chappell and Richards is crazy.

    The two were near enough exact contemporaries and broadly speaking their achievements were very similar.

    Only difference was Richards was an in-your-face sort of chappie, Chappell much less so.

    And as so often, that can make you look a better player than you are.

    For mine, the top group of batsmen number any large number...

    Bradman, Headley, Weekes, Woodfull, Hutton, etc. etc.

    Chappell and Richards are both in the next tier down.

  12. #12
    Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    2005
    Posts
    80,401
    Quote Originally Posted by Swervy View Post
    well I never said treat them the same...but it is still a part of his record as a cricketer, and the standard of bowling was fierce in those Supertests by most accounts
    But the two were completely different - one was a private enterprise and one was a competition between players reprisenting, by chain, their country.

    As I say - his achievements as a batsman should include those Packer games, but cricket as a whole should look upon them with distaste, as I've said 1,000 times.

  13. #13
    International Debutant Natman20's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Auckland, NZ
    Posts
    2,710
    Was he the one that decided on the under-arm bowl? lets not get into that. Seeing as I never watched him play I can't really judge how great a player he was but going by stats they seem fairly similar to that of Pontings (Averages) and from reading a little bit about him he was certainly a great player and deffinately one of the better ones to play.

  14. #14
    Hall of Fame Member steds's Avatar
    Breakout Champion!
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    ****ing cold and ****ing wet
    Posts
    17,201
    He was alright.

  15. #15
    International Captain Swervy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    An Aussie with a Lancashire accent living in Keighley,West Yorks
    Posts
    7,360
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    But the two were completely different - one was a private enterprise and one was a competition between players reprisenting, by chain, their country.

    As I say - his achievements as a batsman should include those Packer games, but cricket as a whole should look upon them with distaste, as I've said 1,000 times.
    well the standard was high, and the competition was fierce, and I look at those games with a bit more respect than I do some of the official tests that were being played at the time

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Well, It's Time to Go, But first...
    By benchmark00 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 24-10-2006, 05:56 AM
  2. Surrey 2002: A Cricket Captain Diary
    By SIX AND OUT in forum General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 17-02-2005, 09:25 AM
  3. Greg Chappell in line to coach the West Indies
    By Mister Wright in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 06-11-2004, 12:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •