Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should Zimbabwe cricket still recieve funds from ICC

Should Zimbabwe cricket still recieve funds from ICC

It is known that the money given to zimbabwe Cricket is spent on everything besides cricket. In the late 90's they were looking to become a real force, making it to the 2nd round of 2 world cups on the trot. Beating Pakistan away.

But the curroption in the country has taken a toll on the cricket tpp. i have been reading articles during the last series against Bangladesh and i realise that everytime ICC provides them with funds it increases incentives for the curropt administration to interfere in cricket.

It looks more like the UN's oil for food program for Iraq, and i am afriad some ICC officials might be making some bread out this scandal. I think ICC should stop funding zimbabwe until the govt assures that the money is being spent where its suppose to be

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    No, they should not.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Seriously, it's not even something that needs discussion.

Everything about Zimbabwe with Zanu PF is a complete and total farce and the more it's ostracised from everything else in The World the better.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Pinball Champion!
    Seeing as most of the Zimbos are now in South Africa, shouldn't we be getting some extra dough?
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Don't like using my iPod dock. Ruins battery life too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by benchmark00 View Post
    Thanks Dick Smith. Will remember to subscribe to your newsletter for more electronic fun facts.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Langeveldt View Post
    Seeing as most of the Zimbos are now in South Africa, shouldn't we be getting some extra dough?
    Actually, since most South Africans are in England, they should be the ones recieving extra dough.

International Vice-Captain Jungle Jumbo's Avatar
    If we're working on that principle, Canada would be reaping the ICC cash of just about every Test nation.

Quote Originally Posted by rodzilla1010 View Post
    In the late 90's they were looking to become a real force, making it to the 2nd round of 2 world cups on the trot. Beating Pakistan away.

I think ICC should stop funding zimbabwe until the govt assures that the money is being spent where its suppose to be
    Zimbabwe should probably stop receiving ICC money. TBF, the cricketing authority is an embarassment and further funding is just a form of approval, recognition and validation of the current administration.

Where I will disagree with you is that during the successful time you mention, Zimbabwe never had the potential to be a real force. Sure there are black cricketers being developed, but 95% of the cricketers were drawn from 3 schools and a white population of less than 200 000 people. That size of population and small black cricket involvement was and is not capable of producing a long term successfull cricket country.

Literally, 3 schools are the basis of Zimbabwe cricket and as such they will never be capable of competing against the major nations.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Interesting editorial by Alan Jones on Oz tv yesterday

Whilst his nation struggles under 4000% inflation, generally zero employment unless your a cronie and innocents continue to be brutalised for doing no more than trying to survive, Mugabe has just spent USD$1.5 million on a private party celebrating the country's birthday.

To put this into perspective, the average daily wage is the equivalent of 15 cents.

All the while, the world sits back and does nothing.

Whilst I do not pretend to have the answers, surely maintaining the status quo (thereby allowing Mugabe to spin al illusion of international support for his actions) is not the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    All the while, the world sits back and does nothing.

Whilst I do not pretend to have the answers, surely maintaining the status quo (thereby allowing Mugabe to spin al illusion of international support for his actions) is not the way to go.
    Thats national sovereignty for you. You can criticise, withdraw support etc but never interfere.

Unfortunately, Mugabe is still held in high esteme by his 'brothers in arms' across Africa.

Quote Originally Posted by rodzilla1010 View Post
    It is known that the money given to zimbabwe Cricket is spent on everything besides cricket. In the late 90's they were looking to become a real force, making it to the 2nd round of 2 world cups on the trot. Beating Pakistan away.

But the curroption in the country has taken a toll on the cricket tpp. i have been reading articles during the last series against Bangladesh and i realise that everytime ICC provides them with funds it increases incentives for the curropt administration to interfere in cricket.

It looks more like the UN's oil for food program for Iraq, and i am afriad some ICC officials might be making some bread out this scandal. I think ICC should stop funding zimbabwe until the govt assures that the money is being spent where its suppose to be
    Erm it was India

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    Thats national sovereignty for you. You can criticise, withdraw support etc but never interfere.

Unfortunately, Mugabe is still held in high esteme by his 'brothers in arms' across Africa.
    Why is that? Geniune question.
    Beware the lollipop of mediocrity. Lick once and you suck forever...

RIP Fardin Qayyumi, a true legend of CW

Quote Originally Posted by Boobidy View Post
    Bradman never had to face quicks like Sharma and Irfan Pathan. He wouldn't of lasted a ball against those 2, not to mention a spinner like Sehwag.

Sure, plus there is the fact that Zimbabwe, unlike Iraq, does not have a valuable natural resource

In any event, does the small amount of good that ICC funding provides outweigh the mileage that Mugabe et al get from seeing "their team" accepted on the international stage?

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Erm it was India
    They did beat Pakistan too actually, but yeah I believe that was at home.
    RIP Craigos

Where I will disagree with you is that during the successful time you mention, Zimbabwe never had the potential to be a real force. Sure there are black cricketers being developed, but 95% of the cricketers were drawn from 3 schools and a white population of less than 200 000 people. That size of population and small black cricket involvement was and is not capable of producing a long term successfull cricket country.

Literally, 3 schools are the basis of Zimbabwe cricket and as such they will never be capable of competing against the major nations.
    But that might have changed had Zimbabwe been properly Govorned... no?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Why is that? Geniune question.
    African politics is still heavily tribal, even across national boundaries. So Mbeki (SA PM) will never criticise Mugabe due to close tribal links. Infact, if SA is ever going to start criticising Zimbabwe then there needs to be a Zulu Prime Minister.

Also African leaders do not want to be seen to criticise a Black leader that 'brought' independance. There is still (foolishly imo) after decades an unwritten rule that these Black independant countries will support and never attack other similar nations.

It is holding the region back in terms of progressing.

Amen to that, TBH.

(Goughy, not the sentiments he is talking of)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information