• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Should Zimbabwe cricket still recieve funds from ICC

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
It is known that the money given to zimbabwe Cricket is spent on everything besides cricket. In the late 90's they were looking to become a real force, making it to the 2nd round of 2 world cups on the trot. Beating Pakistan away.

But the curroption in the country has taken a toll on the cricket tpp. i have been reading articles during the last series against Bangladesh and i realise that everytime ICC provides them with funds it increases incentives for the curropt administration to interfere in cricket.

It looks more like the UN's oil for food program for Iraq, and i am afriad some ICC officials might be making some bread out this scandal. I think ICC should stop funding zimbabwe until the govt assures that the money is being spent where its suppose to be

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Seriously, it's not even something that needs discussion.

Everything about Zimbabwe with Zanu PF is a complete and total farce and the more it's ostracised from everything else in The World the better.

Jungle Jumbo

International Vice-Captain
If we're working on that principle, Canada would be reaping the ICC cash of just about every Test nation.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
In the late 90's they were looking to become a real force, making it to the 2nd round of 2 world cups on the trot. Beating Pakistan away.

I think ICC should stop funding zimbabwe until the govt assures that the money is being spent where its suppose to be
Zimbabwe should probably stop receiving ICC money. TBF, the cricketing authority is an embarassment and further funding is just a form of approval, recognition and validation of the current administration.

Where I will disagree with you is that during the successful time you mention, Zimbabwe never had the potential to be a real force. Sure there are black cricketers being developed, but 95% of the cricketers were drawn from 3 schools and a white population of less than 200 000 people. That size of population and small black cricket involvement was and is not capable of producing a long term successfull cricket country.

Literally, 3 schools are the basis of Zimbabwe cricket and as such they will never be capable of competing against the major nations.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Interesting editorial by Alan Jones on Oz tv yesterday

Whilst his nation struggles under 4000% inflation, generally zero employment unless your a cronie and innocents continue to be brutalised for doing no more than trying to survive, Mugabe has just spent USD$1.5 million on a private party celebrating the country's birthday.

To put this into perspective, the average daily wage is the equivalent of 15 cents.

All the while, the world sits back and does nothing.

Whilst I do not pretend to have the answers, surely maintaining the status quo (thereby allowing Mugabe to spin al illusion of international support for his actions) is not the way to go.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
All the while, the world sits back and does nothing.

Whilst I do not pretend to have the answers, surely maintaining the status quo (thereby allowing Mugabe to spin al illusion of international support for his actions) is not the way to go.
Thats national sovereignty for you. You can criticise, withdraw support etc but never interfere.

Unfortunately, Mugabe is still held in high esteme by his 'brothers in arms' across Africa.

Craig

World Traveller
It is known that the money given to zimbabwe Cricket is spent on everything besides cricket. In the late 90's they were looking to become a real force, making it to the 2nd round of 2 world cups on the trot. Beating Pakistan away.

But the curroption in the country has taken a toll on the cricket tpp. i have been reading articles during the last series against Bangladesh and i realise that everytime ICC provides them with funds it increases incentives for the curropt administration to interfere in cricket.

It looks more like the UN's oil for food program for Iraq, and i am afriad some ICC officials might be making some bread out this scandal. I think ICC should stop funding zimbabwe until the govt assures that the money is being spent where its suppose to be
Erm it was India :ph34r:

Thats national sovereignty for you. You can criticise, withdraw support etc but never interfere.

Unfortunately, Mugabe is still held in high esteme by his 'brothers in arms' across Africa.
Why is that? Geniune question.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Sure, plus there is the fact that Zimbabwe, unlike Iraq, does not have a valuable natural resource

In any event, does the small amount of good that ICC funding provides outweigh the mileage that Mugabe et al get from seeing "their team" accepted on the international stage?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Where I will disagree with you is that during the successful time you mention, Zimbabwe never had the potential to be a real force. Sure there are black cricketers being developed, but 95% of the cricketers were drawn from 3 schools and a white population of less than 200 000 people. That size of population and small black cricket involvement was and is not capable of producing a long term successfull cricket country.

Literally, 3 schools are the basis of Zimbabwe cricket and as such they will never be capable of competing against the major nations.
But that might have changed had Zimbabwe been properly Govorned... no?

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Why is that? Geniune question.
African politics is still heavily tribal, even across national boundaries. So Mbeki (SA PM) will never criticise Mugabe due to close tribal links. Infact, if SA is ever going to start criticising Zimbabwe then there needs to be a Zulu Prime Minister.

Also African leaders do not want to be seen to criticise a Black leader that 'brought' independance. There is still (foolishly imo) after decades an unwritten rule that these Black independant countries will support and never attack other similar nations.

It is holding the region back in terms of progressing.

Langeveldt

Soutie
African politics is still heavily tribal, even across national boundaries. So Mbeki (SA PM) will never criticise Mugabe due to close tribal links. Infact, if SA is ever going to start criticising Zimbabwe then there needs to be a Zulu Prime Minister.

Also African leaders do not want to be seen to criticise a Black leader that 'brought' independance. There is still (foolishly imo) after decades an unwritten rule that these Black independant countries will support and never attack other similar nations.

It is holding the region back in terms of progressing.
One of my theories, which is probably a load of BS.. looking at the amount of Zimbabwean skilled labour that comes through my university every year, is that SA is in fact benifitting in a way from the situation in Zim.. Assuming the graduates stay contributing to the SA economy, there are a huge amount of them that come here to study..

True, Zim is our biggest trade partner, but that was always going to change with our relations developing with China and Russia.. Not to mention the whole of the rest of the world now opening up to trade.. SA no longer needs Zim as much as Zim now needs SA

Slow Love™

International Captain
In answer to the thread's original question, no, they should give them nothing - zip, nada, zilch. And the OP mentioned ICC members potentially making money out of this, I have sometimes wondered about that in regards to the money the ICC pours into "hopeful" cricket nations in the expectation that it will lead to greater participation - and how easy it would be for funds to get a little slushy, if you know what I mean.

Other than that I am mildly shocked that social's position on this changed (at least, I seem to remember him having a different viewpoint a year or so ago) after watching Alan Jones. It's shocking enough that he was even watching Alan Jones ITFP. Yeah, I know it's only a 5 minute segment, but you must have something better to do, like taking a piss or something. :)