• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Why no Border in allstar team?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Maybe because there are 7 better batsmen in the history of Australian ODI's than him?

NZTailender

Mark Waugh, Adam Gilchrist, Dean Jones, Michael Hussey, Michael Bevan, Damien Martyn, David Boon, Ricky Ponting, Steve Waugh, Andrew Symonds > Allan Border in ODI's.

NZTailender

I disagree.
Wow, thanks for that. Any reason why you disagree? Maybe you think he was more valuable? Was better at ODI's than everyone I mentioned? His captaincy? The fact he just managed to average 30?

Yeah, Border was a great batsman, but IMO, not worthy of a place in the all-time Australian ODI team.

murray

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Well, there isn't much point going into detail over a difference of opinion. Neither of us will convince the other.

NZTailender

Well, there isn't much point going into detail over a difference of opinion. Neither of us will convince the other.
How do you know that? Try me. You may bring up some magnificent points that I've overlooked in concluding that Border isn't in the top 7 ODI batsman in Australia's history.

murray

I was over better player arguments over the internet many years ago. I'm simply happy to state my disagreement and move on.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Tests aren't ODIs.

The presumption that there isn't much of a difference is the only reason for Allan Border and Stephen Waugh being taken remotely seriously as ODI players when the reality is that both were wholly ordinary.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mark Waugh, Adam Gilchrist, Dean Jones, Michael Hussey, Michael Bevan, Damien Martyn, David Boon, Ricky Ponting, Steve Waugh, Andrew Symonds > Allan Border in ODI's.
Not to mention Michael Clarke, Simon Katich, DARREN LEHMANN (shame on you for missing him, Greg), Kepler Wessels, Greg Chappell, hell even Matthew Hayden, and probably quite a few others.

Allan Border in ODIs is massively overrated.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Even though its early days in his career, I'd have Hussey ahead of Steve Waugh and have Ponting as captain.

murray

Tests aren't ODIs.

The presumption that there isn't much of a difference is the only reason for Allan Border and Stephen Waugh being taken remotely seriously as ODI players when the reality is that both were wholly ordinary.
That's nice. IMO in context Border was a great odi player.

murray

Not to mention Michael Clarke, Simon Katich, DARREN LEHMANN (shame on you for missing him, Greg), Kepler Wessels, Greg Chappell, hell even Matthew Hayden, and probably quite a few others.

IMO pretty much every player in your post is even more overrated.

NZTailender

I love you, Richard :cool: