View Poll Results: Ganguly or Gilchrist

Voters
49. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ganguly

    28 57.14%
  • Gilchrist

    21 42.86%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 82

Thread: Gilchrist V Ganguly

  1. #1
    International Coach PhoenixFire's Avatar
    Curveball Champion!
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Bitch please, I'm from West Yorkshire
    Posts
    14,988

    Gilchrist V Ganguly

    Purely as a batsman in ODIs, who would you rather have, Gilchrist or Ganguly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    1) Had double pneumonia as a kid, as did my twin sis. Doctors told my parents to pray that we lived through the night. Dad said **** off, I'm an atheist, you ****s better save my kids, etc. Then prayed anyway.

  2. #2
    The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    37,658
    Ganguly: 286 ODI, average of 41.22, 22 centuries, HS: 183
    Gilchrist: 257 ODI, average of 35.62, 14 centuries, HS: 172

    Ganguly for me. Obviously, Gilchrist would make my all time team due to the keeping but purely as a batsman, I have to go with Ganguly and its not awfully close.

    Also, in Tests, Gilchrist is better as both a batsman and an all time team pick. But not in ODI.
    Last edited by silentstriker; 01-03-2007 at 12:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

    How the Universe came from nothing

  3. #3
    Global Moderator Fusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,395
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Ganguly: 286 ODI, average of 41.22, 22 centuries, HS: 183
    Gilchrist: 257 ODI, average of 35.62, 14 centuries, HS: 172

    Ganguly for me. Obviously, Gilchrist would make my all time team due to the keeping but purely as a batsman, I have to go with Ganguly and its not awfully close.

    Also, in Tests, Gilchrist is better as both a batsman and an all time team pick. But not in ODI.
    What he said.

  4. #4
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    It's a no-brainer.


  5. #5
    Global Moderator Fusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,395
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanz View Post
    It's a no-brainer.
    Purely as batsmen, I would have to agree it's a no-brainer. Do PF or Rodzilla want to offer a reason(s) for chosing Gilchrist?

  6. #6
    U19 Cricketer rodzilla1010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Purely as batsmen, I would have to agree it's a no-brainer. Do PF or Rodzilla want to offer a reason(s) for chosing Gilchrist?
    I DIDNT READ THE ONLY AS BATSMAN PART BEFORE I VOTED

  7. #7
    Global Moderator Prince EWS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    The great state of New South Wales
    Posts
    43,350
    I didn't feel the need to reply when I voted because SS sumed up my thoughts really, but I'd like to hear from one of the guys who voted for Gilchrist.
    ~ Cribbage

    Quote Originally Posted by Riggins View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by simonlee48 View Post
    Sanga has done well but Murali has done better. In my opinion, Murali is simply the best off spinner in history of cricket and I can't make that kind of statement for Sanga.
    Sanga isn't the best off spinner in the history of cricket? News to me.

  8. #8
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,353
    A question for those knowledge of Indian cricket than me - has Ganguly ever performed under pressure?

    Ganguly is a guy I havent taken much notice of for a no. of years (admittedly, the down side of his career) because he always seemed to fail when it mattered

  9. #9
    C_C
    C_C is offline
    International Captain C_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    World
    Posts
    6,990
    Quote Originally Posted by social View Post
    A question for those knowledge of Indian cricket than me - has Ganguly ever performed under pressure?

    Ganguly is a guy I havent taken much notice of for a no. of years (admittedly, the down side of his career) because he always seemed to fail when it mattered
    Ganguly has several knocks of high quality under pressure.
    His century in Brisbane is a classic example. His 124 in Dhaka was another.
    100 against OZ at melbourne.
    183 against SL at Taunton.

    He is a better batsman in ODIs than Gillchrist..though not by that much - Gilly's phenomenal strike rate makes up a bit for his not-so-great average.

    In anycase, if the opening two slots in an ODI were exclusively based on batting skill alone, it'd be a Tendulkar-Haynes lock, no questions asked.

  10. #10
    International Coach social's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    AUSTRALIA
    Posts
    12,353
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C View Post
    Ganguly has several knocks of high quality under pressure.
    His century in Brisbane is a classic example. His 124 in Dhaka was another.
    100 against OZ at melbourne.
    183 against SL at Taunton.

    He is a better batsman in ODIs than Gillchrist..though not by that much - Gilly's phenomenal strike rate makes up a bit for his not-so-great average.

    In anycase, if the opening two slots in an ODI were exclusively based on batting skill alone, it'd be a Tendulkar-Haynes lock, no questions asked.
    The innings at Brisbane was top shelf

    However, my abiding memory of him is constantly fending at rising deliveries outside off-stump to give slips catching practice - probably a measure of his talent that he has such a fine record despite the whole world knowing how to get him out

  11. #11
    International Regular DCC_legend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    3,070
    looked at the stats and went for Ganguly.
    Where's my money?

  12. #12
    Hall of Fame Member Goughy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    All Over
    Posts
    15,072
    I have to go GIlchrist here, though no doubt Ganguly is a quality player.

    Firstly a strike rate of 96.29 compared to 73.94 counts for a lot. Especially when Gilchrist can combine that strike rate with a good average and the ability to score big hundreds. Gilchrist has the ability to regularly take games away from the oppostion before the shine is even off the ball.

    Also, Ganguly has battered the small nations and failed against Australia. He has played 59 ODIs against Zim, Bang, Kenya and the Associates (close to double the number Gilchrist has) and averages over 50 agaisnt them and has 8 tons. This does not compare favourably with his average of 22 in 30 games against Australia.

    If I want to win games against good opposition, Id take Gilchrist.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

    West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

    Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

    Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

  13. #13
    International Captain thierry henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Posts
    5,297
    Ironically, I think there is a good argument for Gilchrist (ironic, since for my entire time at CW I have been bagging Gilchrist and saying how underrated Ganguly is).

    That S/R difference is MASSIVELY significant, and Ganguly has made a lot of his centuries and runs against minnows, bringing the averages closer.

  14. #14
    U19 Cricketer rodzilla1010's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    new york
    Posts
    453
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post
    I have to go GIlchrist here, though no doubt Ganguly is a quality player.

    Firstly a strike rate of 96.29 compared to 73.94 counts for a lot. Especially when Gilchrist can combine that strike rate with a good average and the ability to score big hundreds. Gilchrist has the ability to regularly take games away from the oppostion before the shine is even off the ball.

    Also, Ganguly has battered the small nations and failed against Australia. He has played 59 ODIs against Zim, Bang, Kenya and the Associates (close to double the number Gilchrist has) and averages over 50 agaisnt them and has 8 tons. This does not compare favourably with his average of 22 in 30 games against Australia.

    If I want to win games against good opposition, Id take Gilchrist.
    I knew i voted the right batsman. Ganguly is a minnow basher

  15. #15
    C_C
    C_C is offline
    International Captain C_C's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    World
    Posts
    6,990
    Also, Ganguly has battered the small nations and failed against Australia.
    So ? Gillchrist has never even PLAYED vs Australia !

    One can also say that Gillchrist, especially in Tests has had the luxury to simply go hammer and tongs because of the huge scores posted regularly by the batting side. He knows that even if he fails in each and every test, Australia would still win the series in 9 outta 10 times.
    And if batting ability is in question, Gillchrist is more aggresive, thats a given. But for all the talk of Ganguly's vulnerability to the short one, i find it interesting that nobody comments about the fact that Gillchrist's playin of spin is significantly more inept than Ganguly's playing of pace.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Adam Gilchrist - how good is he?
    By Francis in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 157
    Last Post: 02-04-2006, 12:40 PM
  2. Who's heard of Roy Gilchrist?
    By Richard in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 21-03-2006, 01:22 AM
  3. More shuts door on Ganguly
    By Pratters in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 56
    Last Post: 08-03-2006, 08:02 AM
  4. Gilchrist should retire from ODIs...
    By Mister Wright in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 76
    Last Post: 27-01-2006, 05:19 PM
  5. Ganguly and Asim Kamal are soul mates!!!
    By wahindiawah in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-01-2006, 12:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •