• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist V Ganguly

Ganguly or Gilchrist

• Total voters

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Ganguly: 286 ODI, average of 41.22, 22 centuries, HS: 183
Gilchrist: 257 ODI, average of 35.62, 14 centuries, HS: 172

Ganguly for me. Obviously, Gilchrist would make my all time team due to the keeping but purely as a batsman, I have to go with Ganguly and its not awfully close.

Also, in Tests, Gilchrist is better as both a batsman and an all time team pick. But not in ODI.

Last edited:

Fusion

Global Moderator
Ganguly: 286 ODI, average of 41.22, 22 centuries, HS: 183
Gilchrist: 257 ODI, average of 35.62, 14 centuries, HS: 172

Ganguly for me. Obviously, Gilchrist would make my all time team due to the keeping but purely as a batsman, I have to go with Ganguly and its not awfully close.

Also, in Tests, Gilchrist is better as both a batsman and an all time team pick. But not in ODI.
What he said.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I didn't feel the need to reply when I voted because SS sumed up my thoughts really, but I'd like to hear from one of the guys who voted for Gilchrist.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A question for those knowledge of Indian cricket than me - has Ganguly ever performed under pressure?

Ganguly is a guy I havent taken much notice of for a no. of years (admittedly, the down side of his career) because he always seemed to fail when it mattered

C_C

International Captain
A question for those knowledge of Indian cricket than me - has Ganguly ever performed under pressure?

Ganguly is a guy I havent taken much notice of for a no. of years (admittedly, the down side of his career) because he always seemed to fail when it mattered
Ganguly has several knocks of high quality under pressure.
His century in Brisbane is a classic example. His 124 in Dhaka was another.
100 against OZ at melbourne.
183 against SL at Taunton.

He is a better batsman in ODIs than Gillchrist..though not by that much - Gilly's phenomenal strike rate makes up a bit for his not-so-great average.

In anycase, if the opening two slots in an ODI were exclusively based on batting skill alone, it'd be a Tendulkar-Haynes lock, no questions asked.

social

Ganguly has several knocks of high quality under pressure.
His century in Brisbane is a classic example. His 124 in Dhaka was another.
100 against OZ at melbourne.
183 against SL at Taunton.

He is a better batsman in ODIs than Gillchrist..though not by that much - Gilly's phenomenal strike rate makes up a bit for his not-so-great average.

In anycase, if the opening two slots in an ODI were exclusively based on batting skill alone, it'd be a Tendulkar-Haynes lock, no questions asked.
The innings at Brisbane was top shelf

However, my abiding memory of him is constantly fending at rising deliveries outside off-stump to give slips catching practice - probably a measure of his talent that he has such a fine record despite the whole world knowing how to get him out

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I have to go GIlchrist here, though no doubt Ganguly is a quality player.

Firstly a strike rate of 96.29 compared to 73.94 counts for a lot. Especially when Gilchrist can combine that strike rate with a good average and the ability to score big hundreds. Gilchrist has the ability to regularly take games away from the oppostion before the shine is even off the ball.

Also, Ganguly has battered the small nations and failed against Australia. He has played 59 ODIs against Zim, Bang, Kenya and the Associates (close to double the number Gilchrist has) and averages over 50 agaisnt them and has 8 tons. This does not compare favourably with his average of 22 in 30 games against Australia.

If I want to win games against good opposition, Id take Gilchrist.

thierry henry

International Coach
Ironically, I think there is a good argument for Gilchrist (ironic, since for my entire time at CW I have been bagging Gilchrist and saying how underrated Ganguly is).

That S/R difference is MASSIVELY significant, and Ganguly has made a lot of his centuries and runs against minnows, bringing the averages closer.

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
I have to go GIlchrist here, though no doubt Ganguly is a quality player.

Firstly a strike rate of 96.29 compared to 73.94 counts for a lot. Especially when Gilchrist can combine that strike rate with a good average and the ability to score big hundreds. Gilchrist has the ability to regularly take games away from the oppostion before the shine is even off the ball.

Also, Ganguly has battered the small nations and failed against Australia. He has played 59 ODIs against Zim, Bang, Kenya and the Associates (close to double the number Gilchrist has) and averages over 50 agaisnt them and has 8 tons. This does not compare favourably with his average of 22 in 30 games against Australia.

I knew i voted the right batsman. Ganguly is a minnow basher

C_C

International Captain
Also, Ganguly has battered the small nations and failed against Australia.
So ? Gillchrist has never even PLAYED vs Australia !

One can also say that Gillchrist, especially in Tests has had the luxury to simply go hammer and tongs because of the huge scores posted regularly by the batting side. He knows that even if he fails in each and every test, Australia would still win the series in 9 outta 10 times.
And if batting ability is in question, Gillchrist is more aggresive, thats a given. But for all the talk of Ganguly's vulnerability to the short one, i find it interesting that nobody comments about the fact that Gillchrist's playin of spin is significantly more inept than Ganguly's playing of pace.

thierry henry

International Coach
I dunno. I mainly recall Gilchrist smashing spinners for 6 all over the place. But that might be because he has a particular like for Vettori's bowling (he's hit Vettori alone for something like 14 sixes in tests which I'm pretty sure must be a record).

shankar

International Debutant

Leaving out the weaker nations, Gilchrist's best performances have come against India (42.50) and Sri Lanka (44.33). Ganguly's best have been against South Africa - 53.91 (Gilchrist avg: 28.52) and West Indies - 47.58 (Gilchrist avg: 31.65). Leave you to work out which of the attacks have been better over the course of their careers.

social

But for all the talk of Ganguly's vulnerability to the short one, i find it interesting that nobody comments about the fact that Gillchrist's playin of spin is significantly more inept than Ganguly's playing of pace.
Not true

Gilchrist is vulnerable against quality spin early in his innings. Once set, he slaughters all bowlers.

Ganguly is an extremely poor player on wickets with bounce - he takes his eye off the ball, never gets behind it and plays with an angled bat

C_C

International Captain
Not true

Gilchrist is vulnerable against quality spin early in his innings. Once set, he slaughters all bowlers.

Ganguly is an extremely poor player on wickets with bounce - he takes his eye off the ball, never gets behind it and plays with an angled bat
Err Ganguly is poor on wickets with bounce - Gillchrist is poorer on wickets that are uneven or turn.
Like Gillchrist, Ganguly too is excellent when he gets going.
Gillchrist being an opener in ODIs does get to hide his inept spin-play on turning tracks well enough though.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Not true

Gilchrist's technique is just not suited to playing spin.....and his record in India and ARi Lanka is testament to that.....bar 2-3 high scores he has invariably flopped.....