• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Gilchrist V Ganguly

Ganguly or Gilchrist

• Total voters

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
I voted Ganguly, mainly for his overall average. However, I am not sure if this is a valid comparison, in the sense that both play different roles in the team. This would partly explain the difference in their strike-rates.
Gilchrist was more the dasher when opening either with Waugh or Hayden while Tendulkar or Sehwag performed that role with Ganguly.
Ganguly to M Waugh might be a better comparison. Or Gilchrist to Tendulkar.
is that even a comparison?:) ridiculous to compare them as odi openers....one is the greatest opener ever in one day history, the other would come in at least after haynes, ganguly, anwar, m. waugh and maybe a couple of others as well....

viktor

State Vice-Captain
is that even a comparison?:) ridiculous to compare them as odi openers....one is the greatest opener ever in one day history, the other would come in at least after haynes, ganguly, anwar, m. waugh and maybe a couple of others as well....
Ofcourse..it isn't much of a comparison..then again, has Tendulkar ever delivered under pressure???

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
How is playing international cricket with the weight of the entire country on your shoulders at the young age he started anything but pressure?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
However, my abiding memory of him is constantly fending at rising deliveries outside off-stump to give slips catching practice - probably a measure of his talent that he has such a fine record despite the whole world knowing how to get him out
Haha that sums up Sourav really. He has one of the most obvious weaknesses in world cricket, and has been (and is still) a top class batsman for over a decade. Very few people could really do that you'd think.

Regarding pressure knocks, between 98-2000 he hit many in ODIs. I'll go find them for you, but what i know is that period he scored half his total ODI centuries, which is crazy.

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Gilchrist's technique is just not suited to playing spin.....and his record in India and ARi Lanka is testament to that.....bar 2-3 high scores he has invariably flopped.....
He's flopped in all bar 4 matches where he's scored breathtaking matchwinning 100s

social

Very poor footwork against spinners, almost incapable of dancing down the wicket properly. But since spin-play is secondary to openers, he gets to hide that aspect better than Ganguly hides his less wonky play against top notch pace.
Footwork is not the problem.

It's hard hands (resulting in edges carrying significant distances) and playing across the line early on

social

I have to go GIlchrist here, though no doubt Ganguly is a quality player.

Firstly a strike rate of 96.29 compared to 73.94 counts for a lot. Especially when Gilchrist can combine that strike rate with a good average and the ability to score big hundreds. Gilchrist has the ability to regularly take games away from the oppostion before the shine is even off the ball.

Also, Ganguly has battered the small nations and failed against Australia. He has played 59 ODIs against Zim, Bang, Kenya and the Associates (close to double the number Gilchrist has) and averages over 50 agaisnt them and has 8 tons. This does not compare favourably with his average of 22 in 30 games against Australia.

If I want to win games against good opposition, Id take Gilchrist.
Pretty good summary

Decision would also depend on the structure of your side - should opening partner be similar to Gilchrist, then Ganguly might be preferred, and visa versa.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well Gilchrist never faced Australia, so I don't know how you can make that assessment.

Against other nations, as someone else pointed out, Ganguly's average is still higher.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Footwork is not the problem.

It's hard hands (resulting in edges carrying significant distances) and playing across the line early on
Agreed. One of many Australian players who isn't too bad playing spin if he is already "in", as such, and has been facing pace bowling before the spinners come on. If he comes out to play spin straight up, will struggle a lot more.

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Ofcourse..it isn't much of a comparison..then again, has Tendulkar ever delivered under pressure???
rrright!!!??? you too? how many games has he won for us in odis with the bat(forget for the moment with the ball or as an allrounder or as an at-the-death bowler) as an opener? do you really want a list? i am sure you know...but if you are not convinced after 380 odd games, i guess you will never be....

Anil

Hall of Fame Member
Well Gilchrist never faced Australia, so I don't know how you can make that assessment.

Against other nations, as someone else pointed out, Ganguly's average is still higher.
i did..of course they are conveniently avoiding that....:)

biased indian

International Coach
A question for those knowledge of Indian cricket than me - has Ganguly ever performed under pressure?

Ganguly is a guy I havent taken much notice of for a no. of years (admittedly, the down side of his career) because he always seemed to fail when it mattered
can you name a couple of innings by gilchrist in ODI's ???

in ODI opening batsmen are rarely under pressure as far as i am considered
its only when chaseing big targets rite