Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question

Question

Is it good or bad for the game if the Canadas, Hollands or Irelands of the world defeat Bangladesh, Zimbabwe or Kenya?

Especially with regards to Bangladesh.
    Last edited by vic_orthdox; 28-02-2007 at 04:41 PM.

Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    I need to make an apostrophe patrol picture. Angry angry angry.

Think it would be a huge kick in the the teeth for Bangladesh - but it's needed for Zimbabwe to, as ever, point out just how messed up the place is.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

Haha, I'll edit then.

Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    Is it good or bad for the game if the Canadas, Hollands or Irelands of the world defeat Bangladesh, Zimbabwe or Kenya?

Especially with regards to Bangladesh.
    Given that the former are part of the world cricket "family", I'd view it as a positive if for no other reasons than it justifies their inclusion in major events and encourages further development of the game in those countries.

C_C
    I think it'd do cricket more harm than good if bangladesh/zimbabwe manages to lose to holland or canada. Any other team, i'd say sure- it'd do cricket a whole lot of good in those nations if they beat a decent team.

Hall of Fame Member NZTailender's Avatar
    Beating Zimbabwe, yes. Bangladesh and Kenya, no. Those two teams should be streets ahead of the likes of Canada, Bermuda and Holland.

Zimbabwe needs a regime change but thats OT.

If Bermuda, Canada or Holland were to beat one of the top 8 nations, then it'd be good for cricket.

Davison 145* to lead Canada to victory over England, anyone?
    President of SKAS - Kat is King | Proud member of CVAAS - One of the best | LRPLTAS - Rosco rocks!
    The NZTailender Supporting XI:
    H Rutherford, T Latham, N Broom, M Bracewell, D Brownlie, BJ Watling, D de Boorder+, M Henry, B Wheeler, H Bennett, A Milne
    Go Tigers!
    R.I.P. Fardin & Craig

still scratching around in the same old hole
    For me the answer is quite simple.

If the country in question has a decent domestic structure and produces a high number of home grown players (eg Scotland, Netherlands, Ireland, Bermuda) then it is a very good thing for the growth and global strength of the game.

If the counrty is made up of ex-pat players and have issues producing domestic players (eg Canada and the USA in the Champions Trophy) then it is a negative thing that does little to reward nations for investing in doomestic structures.
    If I only just posted the above post, please wait 5 mins before replying as there is bound to be edits

West Robham Rabid Wolves Caedere lemma quod eat lemma

Happy Birthday! (easier than using Birthday threads)

Email and MSN- Goughy at cricketmail dot net

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post

If the country in question has a decent domestic structure and produces a high number of home grown players (eg Scotland, Netherlands, Ireland, Bermuda) then it is a very good thing for the growth and global strength of the game.

If the counrty is made up of ex-pat players and have issues producing domestic players (eg Canada and the USA in the Champions Trophy) then it is a negative thing that does little to reward nations for investing in doomestic structures.
    Couldn't have said it better myself. BTW, did this question pop up after the near defeat of Bangladesh at the hands of Canada?
    RIP Craigos

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    All I ask is: why would it make any difference?

It'll be forgotten a few months down the line, just like Canada beating Bangladesh was last time.
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

International Captain Pup Clarke's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    All I ask is: why would it make any difference?

It'll be forgotten a few months down the line, just like Canada beating Bangladesh was last time.
    I don't think it will be forgotten Richard.As Goughy said it will defiently help the likes of Scotland and Ireland develop and get more people playing cricket.
    Proud member of the Twenty20 is boring society

E-Mail - liamhowgate@yahoo.co.uk
    MSN - liamhowgate@hotmail.com

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    I have to seriously doubt that, TBH.

Quote Originally Posted by Goughy View Post

Agreed, although it may not be a huge scale victory due to the opposition, it will surely show a sign that these nations are delevoping quickly - although Ireland seem to have a few players from other countries qualifying through residency.

I think Holland could well develop into a strong ODI side, with players like RTD, Van Bunge etc. It's nice to see that there is talent coming through from the Netherlands, and I'm sure that if money was invested into improving grass roots/domestic structure they can really kick on.

Squirrel Soccer Champion!
    Interesting point, I think it would actually be good, showing that they can compete at a decent(ish) level of competetiveness
    This Weeks Samit Patel Fact - Has been mentioned in 32 of my posts

The Rifles - Whats your verdict? www.myspace.com/therifles

Winner of Cricket Webs Shane Warne Award - 4-11th Feb

RIP Mr Woolmer, We are all poorer for your loss.

Locked up inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    It would be a slap in the ICC's face if Bangladesh come unstuck against Bermuda, but that clearly will not happen. Obviously the theory that playing the strongest nations will help them grow as a cricketing nation will be proved to be so much cant if, by some miracle, they actually did contrive to lose. It'd be bad news for the ICC, but good news for cricket's pretensions of spreading the gospel outside the traditional countries.

Zimbabwe are really only a test nation in name now & Kenya have had their own issues too. Of all the possible upsets Ireland turning Zimabawe over would've looked the most likely before the World League, but yer Micks hardly covered themselves with glory. Canada have a puncher's chance aganist Kenya, but as Goughy & others observe, their squad's make up is primarily ex-pats. There are only three native-born Canucks &, of those, Davison & Billcliff were Australasian-raised, leaving Kevin Sandher as the sole real McCoy born-and-raised Canadian.

This being so, I do wonder how they're allowed to get away with it. I thought after the UAE's team in 1996 regulations were introduced to make sure teams had to have a certain number of local players?
    Cricket Web's 2013/14 Premier League Tipping Champion

- As featured in The Independent.

"I don't believe a word of Pietersen's book, but then I don't believe a word anyone else has said either."
    - Simon Barnes renders further comment on KP's autobiography superfluous in a sentence

Well, really, it depends if having a higher number of elite teams is better for cricket, or having a higher overall number of somewhat competitive teams is better for cricket.

Personally, I'd much rather see Bangladesh make themselves test quality and justify thier status than have another almost-there-but-not-quite Bangladesh-esque team that the other teams can batter around regularly.

But really, I don't see one victory doing a great deal in either case - only domestic competition growth will do that.
    ~ Cribbertarian ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information