• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Will Oram consider amputation or Gilchrist miss the birth of his kid for test Series

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
Although I love test ccricket more than any other version, but i also believe that the World Cup is the grand daddy of all cricketing events.

Many people here said that they would give up the World cup for a decent series win but i think when things like these comes from the horse's mouth itself we shoul realise that eventually World Cup is the only real recognition avaiable in the Cricketing world and it is the ultimate glory.

Steulen

International Regular
Well... I've finally met one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Add me to that list.

But I'm not from a Test playing country, let alone a country where Tests are more important than ODI's.

Not that I agree with his argumentation, mind.

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
One of those famed subcontinental cricket fans for whom ODIs > Tests.
I never said that
I said WC > any test series win not ODI>test

But am i the only one looking at players doing something they would never do in normal circumstances?

Does that mean that Gilchrist and Oram arnt purist either?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well IMO the WC is the only thing about ODIs where winning actually matters. In other ODIs you play to prepare for the WC for me.

Steulen

International Regular
Well IMO the WC is the only thing about ODIs where winning actually matters. In other ODIs you play to prepare for the WC for me.
Meh. England sees all Tests as Ashes training. Australia currently doesn't care too much about playing West Indies, New Zealand, Pakistan or Sri Lanka let alone Bangladesh or Zimbabwe. NZ doesn't care about any Tests it seems.

So "It doesn't really matter" isn't exclusive to ODI's imo.

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
agreed.
But a World cup victory is the biggest recognition in Cricket arena, One can stay on the top of the rankings for months but thier will be disputes but the WC i any sport makes a team the undisputed best in the sport.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Not so in Cricket. I'd rather be the best Test team.

Andrew Flintoff missed the birth of his kid for a Test series in India btw, and he did his ankle in bowling 51 overs against Sri Lanka, to try and help England win a Test series. So these sort of things, not exclusive to Tests, in all honesty.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He just said its the biggest event, he never implied that its a more important format of the game nor that winning it was a bigger achievement than winning an away test series to Australia for example.

Its hard to deny that the WC is the biggest cricketing event around. Every country prepares for it for at the very least, 18 months to 2 years, and for around 3-4 months, all cricketing news and events surround it. Every country is involved. I never understand why people try to downplay the event on the grounds of claiming to be a 'purist' or some other term used in a snobbish way. You can appreciate the greatness of test cricket, and yet still fall into the wave of WC excitement when it comes around. I know I can't wait for it to begin, and have been waiting for it for ages.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
agreed.
But a World cup victory is the biggest recognition in Cricket arena, One can stay on the top of the rankings for months but thier will be disputes but the WC i any sport makes a team the undisputed best in the sport.
He just said its the biggest event, he never implied that its a more important format of the game nor that winning it was a bigger achievement than winning an away test series to Australia for example.

Its hard to deny that the WC is the biggest cricketing event around. Every country prepares for it for at the very least, 18 months to 2 years, and for around 3-4 months, all cricketing news and events surround it. Every country is involved. I never understand why people try to downplay the event on the grounds of claiming to be a 'purist' or some other term used in a snobbish way. You can appreciate the greatness of test cricket, and yet still fall into the wave of WC excitement when it comes around. I know I can't wait for it to begin, and have been waiting for it for ages.
He did say that winning the WC is the greatest honour tbh. Nonetheless, I agree with the rest of your post. I don't have the same enthusiasm for ODIs as I do Tests, generally (I mean when England aren't playing, so I wouldn't attribute this to apathy at our poor form) but lately I have tried to watch all the ODIs that have been on to attempt to gauge some WC form. And I go to the WC forum before I go to any other when I log on to CW.

The World Cup = ace

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
He did say that winning the WC is the greatest honour tbh. Nonetheless, I agree with the rest of your post. I don't have the same enthusiasm for ODIs as I do Tests, generally (I mean when England aren't playing, so I wouldn't attribute this to apathy at our poor form) but lately I have tried to watch all the ODIs that have been on to attempt to gauge some WC form. And I go to the WC forum before I go to any other when I log on to CW.

The World Cup = ace
well the only thing i can imagine bigger than a world cup is like winning 10-15 tests in a row...making a champion team of Aus of the 00's or the WI of the 70's....but that happens once in 30 years.

But staying on top of the ranking for 10 months or beating Aus wont even finish the argument about being the best team....look what happened to Eng, they won the Ashes and everyone was blowing the #1 team trumpet, next thing you know they got trashed 2-0 to Pakistan (ranked 7th at that time)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Meh. England sees all Tests as Ashes training. Australia currently doesn't care too much about playing West Indies, New Zealand, Pakistan or Sri Lanka let alone Bangladesh or Zimbabwe. NZ doesn't care about any Tests it seems.

So "It doesn't really matter" isn't exclusive to ODI's imo.
That might be an attitude you'd be forgiven for getting the impession we English hold, but in truth it isn't. That's one of the few reasons Andrew Miller has annoyed me, by implying that The Ashes is basically all that matters to everyone in the team, never mind the whole of the fans. He's basically using his position to project his prejudices onto many, many others. To suggest that there's a single Test (even dead games) that don't really matter to most English fans (never mind the players) is as far as I can see utterly ludicrous. And that's before we even get to the fact that "it doesn't matter to him and him and him" is IMO nothing more than a get-out clause for the underperformance of those the writer has attained mistakenly inflated opinions of the ability of... but that's a different story.

Anyway... not caring for Bangladesh\Zimbabwe series is another thing altogether. No-one needs to care about them, you'll steamroller them even without doing so. And it's an admirable sentiment, too - Ban and Zim aren't Test-standard, so why the blazes should anyone outside Bangladesh (and the few hundred in Zimbabwe) care about these non-contents against them?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)

The World Cup = ace
True, but one thing the WC has, that any other test series doesn't is universal and timeless consistency.

By that I mean, if you beat Australia now in an away series, you have achieved the best possible result in cricket (IMO anyway). However 25 years from now, a team may again beat Aus in Aus, yet they may not be the best team. Beating Australia in Australia may not be such a big deal (hypothetically speaking of course), yet what the team has achieved, on paper at least, is win away in Australia just like the team did before. Series vs. WI are a perfect example, as has the Ashes etc. Tradition always matters of course, but in the end you've just beat one team who may or may not be the best in the world.

Winning a WC, even if it is only ODIs, is obviously always the same achievement despite the different formats. One team has conquered all other teams and won. In theory being on top of the test table rankings is a bigger achievement of course, but thats totally in a different mould to winning the final of a WC. Its achieved through points on a system which not everyone follows anyway.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
True, but one thing the WC has, that any other test series doesn't is universal and timeless consistency.

By that I mean, if you beat Australia now in an away series, you have achieved the best possible result in cricket (IMO anyway). However 25 years from now, a team may again beat Aus in Aus, yet they may not be the best team. Beating Australia in Australia may not be such a big deal (hypothetically speaking of course), yet what the team has achieved, on paper at least, is win away in Australia just like the team did before. Series vs. WI are a perfect example, as has the Ashes etc. Tradition always matters of course, but in the end you've just beat one team who may or may not be the best in the world.

Winning a WC, even if it is only ODIs, is obviously always the same achievement despite the different formats. One team has conquered all other teams and won. In theory being on top of the test table rankings is a bigger achievement of course, but thats totally in a different mould to winning the final of a WC. Its achieved through points on a system which not everyone follows anyway.
A very good point, especially with regards The Ashes and English cricket.

One of the reasons, IMO, that England's utterly shocking form of the 2nd half of the 1980s barely registers these days while being buried under the "we were the worst team in history in the 1990s" crap, is because of 1986\87, it's a case of "but we beat Australia, how can we have been the worst team in The World?!?!"

Hindsight is usually a wonderful thing, but in some cases it can be a terrible one.

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer

very valid. Pakistan drew a series i 1987 in WI against WI at a time when no one could have even come close to WI even at home, but its still recorded as a draw and on the record books India's win over WI in 2006 looks better than the herculian effort by Pak in 1987