Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aussie Death Bowling Problems.

Aussie Death Bowling Problems.

Stuart clark, Nathan bracken, and Brett lee all have their economy rates around 7.5 rpo since 2006 bowling in the death overs. The most successfull bowler at the death in world cricket since 2006 are Muralitharan and Harbhajan Singh with economy rates of around 4.5 rpo.

So would it be a good idea if aussies too use spin options right at the death in combination with McGrath and Tait.

Cricket Web Staff Member Richard's Avatar
    Harbhajan Singh????????????????

How on Earth often has he bowled at the death?
    RD
    Appreciating cricket's greatest legend ever - HD Bird...............Funniest post (intentionally) ever.....Runner-up.....Third.....Fourth
    (Accidental) founder of Twenty20 Is Boring Society. Click and post to sign-up.
    chris.hinton: h
    FRAZ: Arshad's are a long gone stories
    RIP Fardin Qayyumi (AKA "cricket player"; "Bob"), 1/11/1990-15/4/2006

Harbhajan bowls a lot of times in the last 10 overs nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Harbhajan Singh????????????????

How on Earth often has he bowled at the death?
    Better than bowling Sree and AA who generally always ruin their early good figures at the death. Zaheer has a habit of doing that as well.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    Stuart clark, Nathan bracken, and Brett lee all have their economy rates around 7.5 rpo since 2006 bowling in the death overs. .
    I think the Aussies would give anything to have the death bowlers concede 'just' 7.5 runs per death over in this World Cup. Anyway, for mine, I'd give the job to Bracken and McGrath and stop horsing around by giving all the bowlers a turn (like in kiddies cricket). hehe
    - Winner of the 2011 and 2012 CricketWeb AFL tipping competition

- Winner of the 2011, 2012 and 2013 CricketWeb NRL tipping competition

Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Better than bowling Sree and AA who generally always ruin their early good figures at the death. Zaheer has a habit of doing that as well.
    Harbhajan in my experience has more likelihood than all 3 of having good figures to ruin at the death...

And added to that, he strikes me (unlike the man he emulated, Saqlain) as being someone who will have his figures badly ruined at the death, and I'm amazed if he's actually been effective bowling there.

I think most spinners tend to operate no later than over 43-44, which does not have the all or nothing death belting yet. That might explain their relatively good figures in cases where the last 10 overs are considered death bowling.

There is some merit in the idea of playing spinners right through until the end of the innings. Their lack of pace on the ball means batsmen will have to force the ball more, which imo should lead to more outfield catching chances. Of course you'd need spinners with lots of control to avoid giving up easy 4-balls.
    Contrast this with someone like Shaun Tait, who might produce a few lethal yorkers, but is equally or even more likely of seeing a bouncer top-edged 10 rows back due to the ferocious pace he puts on the ball.

Another issue is the variations a bowler is capable of. Stuart Clark and his McGrath-line of consistently hitting top of off may take a number of wickets of the you miss I hit variety, but will also be belted for 6 by batsmen prepared to take a few risks late on. A high-class spinner who mixes his deliveries well should definitely be more successful, imo.

Who knows, maybe death spin bowling is the innovation of this year's WC, just like the Sri Lankan attack from the start batting in '96 and the NZ spin bowler opening in '92.
    President of RTDAS - Ryan ten Doeschate - The Freddie Flintoff of Associate Cricket
    Member of DNAS, ESAS - Dirk Nannes, Edgar Schiferli. Dutchmen can bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Delgado
    Steulen, are you half-Welsh? Cheer up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79
    God, I just worked out Steulen's avatar is a hedgehog, not a brain...
    Not sure how to feel now tbh...

Spinners who can fire the ball in the blockhole (eg Jayasuriya, Gayle, who I'm astounded aren't used more often) are generally as successful as anyone. TBH I'd much prefer have them bowling in the last 10 than line-and-length merchants.

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    I cost myself a one-day match on ICC by bowling a spinner at the death tbh. Mind you, he was a wicketkeeper.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    I cost myself a one-day match on ICC by bowling a spinner at the death tbh. Mind you, he was a wicketkeeper.
    I do that so often. I get carried away with the dominance of my main fast bowlers, and before I know it I've miscalculated the overs and the last 2-4 overs have to be bowled by a spinner, or even worse a part timer. Lost count of the amount of times I've let a 39 from 22 balls equation result in a loss for my team.

That being said, I do get the odd Katich 4-fer or Pietersen 3/5 off 2 which is always hilarious.

I think Tait, McGrath, and bracken should be used in the death over by the aussies.

howardj, "7.5 rpo" are the average economy rates of clark,lee and bracken that they have been giving through all odi games bowling at the death in 06-07. Here you got to take into account that in a lot of games in 06-07 aussies bowled out the batting side pretty cheaply, hence they didn't have to bowl any death overs in those games otherwise their economy rates at the death would have been a lot worse.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Mr Mxyzptlk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Spinners who can fire the ball in the blockhole (eg Jayasuriya, Gayle, who I'm astounded aren't used more often) are generally as successful as anyone. TBH I'd much prefer have them bowling in the last 10 than line-and-length merchants.
    ...?

Chris Gayle is used at the death very often.
    Sreesanth said, "Next ball he was beaten and I said, 'is this the King Charles Lara? Who is this impostor, moving around nervously? I should have kept my mouth shut for the next ball - mind you, it was a length ball - Lara just pulled it over the church beyond the boundary! He is a true legend."

Using spinners at the death can allow you to control where the batsman is hitting the ball, and put men out where they're most likely to hit, as it's harder generate pace to hit the ball over fieldsmen's heads. However, the one shot that is very difficult to cover is the reverse sweep / anything backward of point on the off-side. Although you often have two men behind point in that position, if it gets past them it will usually be 4.

Also, you can control where they hit the ball, but you can't always control whether it will land inside the rope.

For Australia, Clarke or Symonds would be much better suited to the death than Hogg.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mxyzptlk View Post
    ...?

Chris Gayle is used at the death very often.
    ... but not invariably.

And such a thing astounds me.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information