• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can you name an ODI team to beat the All-Time Australian XI?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You'd bat Viv at 3, Lara 4 and Inzy 5 in that line-up Deeps. Inzy is used to batting down at 5 and 6, and is better at it IMO than Lara in ODIs, and Viv demands slot no. 3 really.

Craig

World Traveller
I think Pollock has been slightly under-rated with his hitting ability. I suppose when you know who is uncle is, I guess he has to have some batting ability.

whitedazzler

School Boy/Girl Captain
based on their record against australia in my memory

1 joyce
2 jayasuriya
3 pietersen
4 lara
5 collingwood
6 mcmillan
7 pollock
8 mccullum
9 vettori
10 malinga
11 bond

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing

1 joyce
2 jayasuriya
3 pietersen
4 lara
5 collingwood
6 mcmillan
7 pollock
8 mccullum
9 vettori
10 malinga
11 bond
Vettori's record isn't that good. Averages about 37 with the ball. He does keep it tight, though.

haroon510

International 12th Man
This was the Australian all time team as picked by them:

1. Adam Gilchrist
  2. Mark Waugh
  3. Ricky Ponting
  4. Dean Jones
  5. Steve Waugh (captain)
  6. Michael Bevan
  7. Andrew Symonds
  8. Shane Warne
  9. Brett Lee
  10. Dennis Lillee
  11. Glenn McGrath

Compared to a non-Aussie team:

1. Tendulkar
  2. Haynes
  3. Richards
  4. Kallis
  5. Lara
  6. Sanggakara
  7. Kapil Dev
  8. Kluesner
  9. Wasim Akram
  10. Murali
  11. Garner

Lets go position by position:

Batting

Openers: Tendulkar and Haynes vs Gilchrist and Waugh. Gilly and Waugh are quality but it has to be Tendy and Haynes in an easy win.

Middle Order: Ponting, Jones, Waugh and Bevan vs. Richards, Kallis, Lara and Sangakkara.

This one is close: Richards and Bevan cancel each other out, even though I'd put Viv ahead by a little. Ponting, Jones and Waugh are all quality, but so are Kallis, Lara and Sangakkarra. This is a touchy but I'll give the slight edge to ROW.

Late Middle and Lower order: Dev, Kluesner,Akram and Murali vs. Warne, Lee, Lillee and Garner. An easy victory for the Rest of World here (remember, this is batting only).

Wicketkeeping: Gilchrist vs Sangakarra...Gilly as an underrated keeper comes through.

Fast Bowling: Garner, Wasim, Dev and Kluesner vs. Lillee, McGrath, Lee and Lillee. I'll give it to the rest of the world as in ODI's Garner and Wasim were pretty much peerless, and the second tier is also good in Dev and even Kluesner.

Spin Bowling: Murali vs Warne and Symonds....Rest of world here again.

OVERALL: ROW takes it.
it is a fairly good side but it doesn't make sense the selection of kallies over inzi or gangualy or k. peiterson. against the side of Aus that u have named we need some agrassive cricket and i don't think kallies fits that discribtion. he might face 50 delivers to get of the mark in test which is good but against aggrasive side of Aus in one day we need some big hitters. so i would probably go with k.p or gangully or inzi for kallies. the rest look good.

haroon510

International 12th Man
Ok guys, step aside. This is how things work

Sachin Tendulkar
Saeed Anwar
Brian Lara
Inzamam Ul Haq
Viv Richards
Kumar Sangakarra
Kapil Dev
Shaun Pollock
Wasim Akram
Waqar Younis
Muttiah Muralitharan

The top order is brilliant. Top three are absolute superstars. Four and 5 are as well.

Now 7,8,9 are all very handy batsman and explosive hitters when they want to be. Sure, Sangakarra isn't ideal at 6 and would be much better up the order, but he can't knock anyone else off that perch. The reason i picked Sangakarra instead of Boucher is that he can be a very solid bat. There is enough lower order power hitting at 7,8 and 9. If quick runs are needed, a quick change in order is sufficient. But if quick wickets fall, i'd prefer Sangi over Boucher there. He also balances out all the explosiveness in the side.

The bowling picks itself really, the two W's, Murali, Pollock and Dev are all very good bowlers. Tendulkar is a severely under rated spinner as a 6th option if necessary.

I don't think there would be many sides ever that could topplie this team. It has everything, solidity, class, explosiveness, flair, and good balance.

that is an ideal team.

Craig

World Traveller
Depending on how you want it really, I wanted a 'keeper to bat at 7 and figured that Boucher would be perfect for that role over Sangakkara and has been in some explosive hitting form, but if you wanted him to bat in the top 5 or 6 then Sangakkara is ideal, and would have better experience in 'keeping to Murali, but Boucher would probably just get it over in 'keeping to quick bowlers, there wasn't much in it and I found it to be very hard to pick.

In hindsight perhaps Sangakkara was the better selection and Klusener at 6 is a shade too high.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

1 joyce
2 jayasuriya
3 pietersen
4 lara
5 collingwood
6 mcmillan
7 pollock
8 mccullum
9 vettori
10 malinga
11 bond
:lol: Edmund Joyce, Paul Collingwood, Brian McMillan, Brendon McCullum and Laaaasith Maaaaalinga!