• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next in line for NZ

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I've been looking through a few new faces this season and one of them kinda surprised me. He's been scoring alot of runs without really catching my attention until now, which might have been a good thing.

I have noticed that Greg Hay averages 44.85 in FC, 71.66 in OD and 37 in Twenty20...lol, not bad for a debut season! He hasn't got a hundred in any form yet but it sounds as though he's a difficult man to dislodge.

The other player who I think is really starting to come back into the frame is Rob Nicol. Very very good middle order batsman and has averaged 69 in FC this season with 2 hundreds.

Bradley John Watling has been scoring alot of runs as an opener too recently.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Would be better if this was in the NZ Black Caps or Domestic Season thread really, but nevertheless. Greg Hay needs to continue improving himself and scoring runs for Central Districts before being even remotely considered for the Black Caps or NZ A side. Nicol is a different story, he was in the NZ A team that went to Australia for the Top End series, I can't remember how well he batted but I think he should be in the NZ middle order in the future at some point.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
sorry I couldn't find the domestic thread. If a moderator could help me out there that would be kewl.

Yeah, obviously Greg Hay has got to do his time but let's hope he doesn't get the 2nd season jitters like Nicol did.

Fiery

Banned
I've been looking through a few new faces this season and one of them kinda surprised me. He's been scoring alot of runs without really catching my attention until now, which might have been a good thing.

I have noticed that Greg Hay averages 44.85 in FC, 71.66 in OD and 37 in Twenty20...lol, not bad for a debut season! He hasn't got a hundred in any form yet but it sounds as though he's a difficult man to dislodge.

The other player who I think is really starting to come back into the frame is Rob Nicol. Very very good middle order batsman and has averaged 69 in FC this season with 2 hundreds.

Bradley John Watling has been scoring alot of runs as an opener too recently.
Yep, I've thought Hay looks a very good prospect from what I've seen of him in the small number of televised games he has played in. I would be very surprised if both he and BJ Watling don't end up with black caps in a few years. Dave Houpapa is another but he will be called up sooner than both those too I reckon. Rob Nicol will definitely get his chance at some stage too. It's up to him whether he grabs it with two hands.

Last edited:

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
If i've heard correctly, Colin de Grandhomme could be a future player to watch as well. He'll have another 2 years to go yet because of residency before he can make the BC's but he'll probably need that amount of time anyway, he's still only 20 or 21 I think.

Natman20

International Debutant
I like the looks of some of the new players coming through. I hope they can continue with their form and someday make it big. I would like to see Nicol in the squad sometime in the future after the world cup most probably.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
It feels like Nicol has been around for ages and yet he's only 23. He started playing for Auckland as a 19 year old. He's got a very good record of 6 hundreds and 15 half centuries. Definately one of the better FC players around in NZ.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Nicol, Broom and Gillespie should all make their test debuts within 2 years IMO.

Not sure about Mcintosh, though. His boat may have sailed.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Nicol looked pretty poor from what I saw of him this week at the Basin. Was fishing around outside his off-stump a lot - but then again, a lot of Auckland batsmen were having problems with O'Brien.

Natman20

International Debutant
O'brian is on a rampage this season. One of the best performers. It wouldn't suprise me if O'brian got a recall. MArtin would probably be picked ahead of him. (Tests by the way, neither would make it in ODIs)

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
O'Brien was just an average New Zealand seamer and looked out of his depth when he has played for the Black Caps. It's quite hard to judge seamers from NZ because all they have to do is get it in the right area and they will get plenty of scalps with the assistance of our conditions and poor techniques in regards to batsman, and they will take plenty of wickets. Yet pick them at international level and they will probably be quite ineffective beacuse they don't have any pace and can be exposed too easily.

Natman20

International Debutant
Definately a fine prospect. I don't think too many players have started as well as he has. Lets just hope he can carry on and maybe make it big someday.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
Cliches of NZ cricket

O'Brien was just an average New Zealand seamer and looked out of his depth when he has played for the Black Caps. It's quite hard to judge seamers from NZ because all they have to do is get it in the right area and they will get plenty of scalps with the assistance of our conditions and poor techniques in regards to batsman, and they will take plenty of wickets. Yet pick them at international level and they will probably be quite ineffective beacuse they don't have any pace and can be exposed too easily.
That has to be one of the most over-used statements about NZ bowlers. There are a few decent pitches in NZ these days that don't seam much, and the quicks struggle after the ball gets old. That's why so many centuries have been scored in this and recent seasons. And is O'Brien's 10 wicket bag the first of the season? If the wickets were so conducive to seam bowling these stats would be reversed.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Speaking of up and coming bowlers, did everyone see the results of the high school fast bowling challenge?

thierry henry

International Coach
O'Brien isn't even a typical NZ seamer anyway imo. He bowls around 140 and is a bit more aggressive in his approach. When he played internationals though, he seemed to lack accuracy.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah, from what I saw of O'Brien, he was far from your typical NZ seamer. He was a bustling, quickish bowler who liked to hit the deck, but bowled all over the shop and didn't get an iota of movement. Like an out-of-form Shane Watson.

thierry henry

International Coach
Having said that, I'd like to know exactly who the "typical NZ seamer" is anyway. It seems to be a devastating put down for any occasion but I'm still not sure exactly who embodies it. I imagine it to be a tall, rather ungainly guy who bowls at about 130kph and is ineffective on flat tracks? But this rather overlooks the fact that imo guys like Daryl Tuffey, James Franklin, Jacob Oram, who I would guess fit the stereotype, have been effective international bowlers (Oram in ODIs only of course...)