• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next in line for NZ

The Big Cheese

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Michael Mason could be considered as a 'typical NZ seamer,' bowls line and length at 130ish kph, and gets absolutely cremed if the batsman can hit good balls for six, eg. Jayasuriya in the recent NZ vs. Sri Lanka series

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Well its on a bbc messageboard, im not convinced about the credibility. It would be a disaster if NZ lost Ryder though...but I think it would highlight yet again that Ryder thinks he is bigger than the game if you hear about his previous history.

The fact that the poster has also mentioned Ryder as an all-rounder in the same mould as Flintoff also makes me suspicious!

The Big Cheese

I think most bowlers would struggle if batsmen made a habit of hitting good balls for 6
Not if they have decent pace, bounce, or variations.

By a good ball i mean not short not full, just outside off-stump, not some inswinging yorker at 155kph, that would be fairly dificult to hit for six.

thierry henry

International Coach
Not if they have decent pace, bounce, or variations.

By a good ball i mean not short not full, just outside off-stump, not some inswinging yorker at 155kph, that would be fairly dificult to hit for six.
Well, Mason gets good bounce imo. Do Glenn McGrath or Shaun Pollock get smashed for 6s every time they hit a length?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Michael Mason could be considered as a 'typical NZ seamer,' bowls line and length at 130ish kph, and gets absolutely cremed if the batsman can hit good balls for six, eg. Jayasuriya in the recent NZ vs. Sri Lanka series
He seemed to me to be hitting rather a lot of bad balls for six in said series...

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
He seemed to me to be hitting rather a lot of bad balls for six in said series...
Yeah, they definitely were BAD balls. I was at the 1st game in Napier when Jayasuriya went beserko on the horrible bowling of Mason/Franklin/Gillespie/Adams. I gotta say, when i showed up at the ground and saw that bowling line-up i sorta predicted the outcome.

On the whole Ryder issue, i think its a load of bull**** tbh

The Big Cheese

At least some of the time, jayasuriya was swinging across the line and hitting reasonably pitched balls for six. I agree that he was also hitting bad balls for boundaries, particularly off Adams.