• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Next in line for NZ

thierry henry

International Coach
Well - more a very specific type. One who relies heavily on seam with less high-calibre use of swing, particularly of the reverse variety.
Yes, but coming from any other country, a bowler who bowls with no swing or express pace and simply hopes the ball will move off the pitch would merely be regarded as "rubbish" imo. I think that's really the point people are trying to make about NZ bowlers, because to me, there really isn't such a great deal of similarity between the various bowlers we have used over the years.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And equally there are bowlers (fingerspinners in Sri Lanka being the most obvious example) who'd be regarded as "rubbish" anywhere else (including New Zealand).

I don't think it's fair to say that one country > than another in terms of standard, because if everyone was complately dissimilar no-one would have a chance going into another's backyard.

England is currently very poor domestically because there are virtually no successful bowlers. You've got to travel far-and-wide to find someone consistently taking wickets at a good economy-rate while remaining injury-free.

In no small part because anyone remotely promising is often catapulted straight into the National side...

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
Err, what? I've already admitted my mistake on the Morrison case. How exactly are you so sure how much I know about them.
If you thought he was tall, that gives me a fair idea how much you know about Morrison.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I don't know a lot about him, other than that he was a NZer who was far more effective in NZ than elsewhere.

I do know a bit about Collinge and Motz, as they were two of NZ's first top-class bowlers. And I've even seen their bowling-actions.

What I was objecting to was more the wider-ranging sweepingness of your statement.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Colin de Grandhomme looks extremely promising in my opinion - with a bit more consistency could be lethal.

thierry henry

International Coach
re De Grandhomme, call it short sighted, but I struggle to rate someone who didn't even make runs in the Zimbabwean domestic competition.

Fiery

Banned
Is anyone else's Sky Sport down? Arrgh. Their 0800 is engaged and I want to watch the rugby

Natman20

International Debutant
Is anyone else's Sky Sport down? Arrgh. Their 0800 is engaged and I want to watch the rugby
Poor you. Personally i wouldnt care less if there wasnt another match of rugby played ever again which is odd for a kiwi.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
re De Grandhomme, call it short sighted, but I struggle to rate someone who didn't even make runs in the Zimbabwean domestic competition.
AFAIK, his Dad didn't want him to play any further so he brought him to NZ.

Obviously if he scores his runs it NZ, it'll mean more than scoring anything in Zimbabwe.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Was unaware of his previous contributions over there, but basing my comment on what I've seen of him throughout the summer. ;)

Natman20

International Debutant
High hopes for Mcintosh after his double century earlier this season has deminished a bit because now overall his average has been around 27 this season and hasnt shown consistent performances.

Natman20

International Debutant
Another note on O'brien. His average with the ball is 22 in first-class cricket and he obviously is a fairly decent bowler. (never let him near ODIs though). He is 30 so he may have a few years to offer if he in-fact is picked which is probably unlikely unless there are some injuries. Martin & Franklin would be a good combination to open the bowling (Bond of course if he is still going) and maybe O'Brien as the 3rd seemer. Why am I talking tests so much all of a sudden on the verge of a world cup?