• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which player had the best farewell from cricket?

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
Well we will see many careers ending after next month's tournament Kumble has already announced it as his last odi stint. Mcgrath is in line to bi farewell. Gilchrist, Ponting,Inzi,Tendulkar,polluck,Kallis all are playing thier last World cup.

It will be Lara's final limited over show too. Which brings me to the question that which player took the best exit from International cricket? Test or ODI or both?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Stewie probably enjoyed his almost as much, even if it wasn't quite such a fairytale. But he did have his home ground to offset the lack of a big score and the winning stroke... although Lord's was Nasser's home-from-home ATC, TBH...

I was really pretty astounded by the scenes at The SCG in January, though. Can't believe we'll ever see anything quite like that again. So Buchanan, Langer, Warne and McGrath (and hopefully Gilchrist, you never know) for me.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I thought his English farewell was pretty good, too... but that was only because I saw it and didn't see his Jamaican one.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I was struck by Darren Bicknell's last game, i thought it was such a powerfull portrayl of a county cricketer.

It was his last innings and got a bad LBW decision on 31 and the camera followed him all the way up the stairs inside and you could see he was pretty annoyed.

It was just so off key, the crowd hardly noticed, and his whole career had just ended with a bad LBW decision in front of 100 or so people in a match his team were destined to loose.

That's it, his career gone, i just thought it was very moving.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I was struck by Darren Bicknell's last game, i thought it was such a powerfull portrayl of a county cricketer.

It was his last innings and got a bad LBW decision on 31 and the camera followed him all the way up the stairs inside and you could see he was pretty annoyed.

It was just so off key, the crowd hardly noticed, and his whole career had just ended with a bad LBW decision in front of 100 or so people in a match his team were destined to loose.

That's it, his career gone, i just thought it was very moving.
Dominic Cork's Test career ended with the fateful ball of a 7-ball over going for four.

And I thought at the time... "that could be his last act in Test-cricket"... and I was right. :(

Every bit as sad as the Dazza Bicknell case IMO.

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
1 wicket.

I guess that is pretty awesome, but Test Cricket has the real relevance imo.
A single test win or even a series victory cannot match the glory of winning the world cup...Alhtough i am a purist too...but i cant imagine a more perfect exit....no 2 opinions about leaving the team when it was at tis pinnacle

Fusion

Global Moderator
And accused by his team mates of not giving them their due respect for the WC win. Last subcontinent player that retired gracefully was 'Sunny Gavaskar'..
To be fair, that was really much ado about nothing. Even Javed Miandad, who doesn't exactly adore Imran, said in his autobiography that it was no big deal and that Imran got nervous and lost in the moment. Imran has never been a great public speaker, a fact that makes his involvement into politics that much perplexing.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A single test win or even a series victory cannot match the glory of winning the world cup...Alhtough i am a purist too...but i cant imagine a more perfect exit....no 2 opinions about leaving the team when it was at tis pinnacle
A Test series win (against a proper side) >>>>>>> World Cup.