• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which player had the best farewell from cricket?

FRAZ

International Captain
And accused by his team mates of not giving them their due respect for the WC win. Last subcontinent player that retired gracefully was 'Sunny Gavaskar'..
So Imran just jerked around or De silva did not go smoothly . I have no problems with Sunny Gawaskar but your rant is incomplete cuz Imran is still as in news with grace as he was prior to WC 92 !!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
A Test series win (against a proper side) >>>>>>> World Cup.
TBH, give me a World Cup win over the first series of this coming summer.

*hides*

Nah, only joking, really. I'm not your typical deride-ODIs-without-fail Englishmen, but I do place more importance on Test performance. If only a bit.

Fiery

Banned
Chris Cairn's bowl-off in the tied Twenty20 game was an entertaining end to one of the great entertainers.

Hadlee took a wicket on his last ball of test cricket.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
One that hasn't been mentioned is Alec Stewart's in 2003. OK, he didn't contribute much, but to end a career on your home ground winning a Test that it seemed you had no chance of winning after Day 1 to square a series...That's a pretty good ending....

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
And accused by his team mates of not giving them their due respect for the WC win. Last subcontinent player that retired gracefully was 'Sunny Gavaskar'..
Even today his team mates give the whole credit of the WC victory to Imran Khan and he used that platform for a much more Important purpose..to start his campaign for a cancer hospital, which today offers free medical help to the poor.

He is by far the Biggest cricket Icon alive in subcontinent today if not the world

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
One that hasn't been mentioned is Alec Stewart's in 2003. OK, he didn't contribute much, but to end a career on your home ground winning a Test that it seemed you had no chance of winning after Day 1 to square a series...That's a pretty good ending....
Ho-hum.................
Stewie probably enjoyed his almost as much, even if it wasn't quite such a fairytale. But he did have his home ground to offset the lack of a big score and the winning stroke... although Lord's was Nasser's home-from-home ATC, TBH...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
A Test series win (against a proper side) >>>>>>> World Cup.
A Test series draw against a top two-three test side >>>>>>>>>> World Cup. I desperately want to win in England, and I'd trade away a bunch of WC wins for that TBH. And not to even get started on Australia (no one except England and WI have ever won there, except NZ for one series). That's astonishing in the 100 year history. Especially considering how pretty much everyone has won in England.

Last edited:

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
A Test series draw against a top two-three test side >>>>>>>>>> World Cup. I desperately want to win in England, and I'd trade away a bunch of WC wins for that TBH. And not to even get started on Australia (no one except England and WI have ever won there, except NZ for one series). That's astonishing in the 100 year history.
SO can anyone actually tell me how Arjuna and Gavakar retired?

Waugh retired after drawing a home series against India..nothing to beat your chest about

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
Waugh deserved to stick around for the '05 series win in India tbh.
Ausies were very harsh in the treatment of the waugh brothers...actually i think he should have lead Aus to the WC 2003...but anayway....with a career like wuagh, there wasnt much left to achieve

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Ausies were very harsh in the treatment of the waugh brothers...actually i think he should have lead Aus to the WC 2003...but anayway....with a career like wuagh, there wasnt much left to achieve
Mark in ODIs and Stephen in Tests, yes.

But Mark in Tests, no, and Stephen in ODIs... only maybe.