• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Most important player for Australia.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well... IMO you can't really say most important player, you have to go MI batsman and bowler...

And with bat in Tests and ODIs I'd go Ponting and with ball Clark in Tests and (post-WC) Bracken in ODIs.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I think it all comes down to who would be the hardest to replace when coming up with most important player for Australia. In ODIs, I think that player is Andrew Symonds, his batting and bowling are very crucial to the success of the side, but more importantly his fielding is the thing that is most missed.

In tests, it used to be McGrath as shown in the Ashes. However, now I think without doubt it will be Ponting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I think it all comes down to who would be the hardest to replace when coming up with most important player for Australia. In ODIs, I think that player is Andrew Symonds, his batting and bowling are very crucial to the success of the side, but more importantly his fielding is the thing that is most missed.
The fact that the side's crashed and burned the second he's been lost does lend some weight to that argument!

FRAZ

International Captain
I consider Symonds as a very important ODI player and not fully because of his batting but also because of his variety packed bowling too !

Last edited:

pup11

International Coach
I think its mike hussey in odi's and ricky ponting in tests. Hussey is the best finisher in the game and he gives great depth to the aussie odi side. As for ponting in tests from no.3 he sets up the tone for the innings with a good or a bad knock.

Natman20

International Debutant
I think the most valuable for ODIs is Symonds and in Tests it would have been McGrath but has to be Ponting now I think.