• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Salamuddin's All Time Test Match X1

Salamuddin

International Debutant
1. Sunny G
2. Hobbs
3. Lara
4. Bradman
5. Sobers
6. Imran Khan
7, Andrew Flower
8. Wasim AKram
9. Murali
10. Malcolm Marshall
11. Glenn Mcgrath

Reserves:

Waqar Younis
Rahul Dravid
Shane Warne

Last edited:

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
1. Sunny G
2. Hobbs
3. Lara
4. Bradman

5. Sobers
6. Imran Khan
7, Andrew Flower
8. Wasim AKram
9. Murali
10. Malcolm Marshall
11. Glenn Mcgrath

Reserves:

Waqar Younis
Rahul Dravid
Shane Warne
Given that he was no mug, I'd endeavour to have Bradman at his favourite position.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Interestingly, Flower's average could well end up ahead of Gilchrist's, couldn't it? Is it currently above that level?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
By a considerable distance.

Gilchrist, all things considered, has had an incredibly strage career.

Averaged 59 in his first 43 Tests (61 innings) over 3-and-a-half years, and has averaged 37 in his next 40 (61 innings). Substandard sides excluded, obviously. And in that 2nd period 37 doesn't tell an accurate story - there was one 8-Test (8 innings) streak where he averaged 107, and in the other 53 he's actually averaged 26.67.

A really, really odd career.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
1. Sunny G
2. Hobbs
3. Lara
4. Bradman
5. Sobers
6. Imran Khan
7, Andrew Flower
8. Wasim AKram
9. Murali
10. Malcolm Marshall
11. Glenn Mcgrath

Reserves:

Waqar Younis
Rahul Dravid
Shane Warne
This is the one and only time I've ever heard mention of Hobbs and Gavaskar opening together. :wacko:

Seriously - if you transported Sir John Berry forward 60 years he'd probably barely recognise the thing - and same if you transported Sunny back that time.

Comparing the 1920s to the 1970s just isn't really on IMO.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
  1. Gavaskar
  2. Hobbs
  3. Bradman
  4. Hammond/Tendulkar/Lara
  5. Chappell/Sir Viv
  6. Sobers
  7. Gilchrist
  8. Imran
  9. Marshall
  10. McGrath
  11. Murali

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
And it's quite possible that I could beat that with...

Hutton (Leonard, not Richard)
Fredericks
Headley (George, not Ron or Dean)
Weekes (Everton, not Bam Bam)
Tendulkar of 1990-2002
Stephen Waugh of 1993-2001
Walcott (Clyde, not Theo)
Botham of 1977-1981
Hadlee (Richard, not Dayle or Dad)
Lindwall
Underwood if we were playing on uncovered wickets

IOW, there are a million all-time XIs you could pick that are about as good as each other.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Exactly, which is why you could pick 15 World All Time XIs and they'd all have a pretty good chance against each other.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But did you not have extreme doubts over all bar Bradman, Sobers and Marshall?

I would have.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
But did you not have extreme doubts over all bar Bradman, Sobers and Marshall?

I would have.
Bar Bradman, Sobers, Mcgrath and Marshall, I did. Just because its not completely evident, doesn't mean its still not the side I personally think would do the best job. A lot of the players were close and could have gone another way,obviously, but this is obviously opinion and I would say these eleven players would make the best team in the history of cricket. Other person's XI could be just as valid (assuming no ludicrous choices like exclusion of Bradman).