• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Salamuddin's All Time Test Match X1

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
is it an ODI XI?
i am sorry i was mking the test side...sachin and wasim are all timers in the limited over game..in test they would crack the top 20 not the 11..IMO
Tendulkar who averaged 60 over a period of about 90 Tests and 12 years? :blink:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Tendulkar who averaged 60 over a period of about 90 Tests and 12 years? :blink:
I think Tendulkar's stock is down a bit right now based on his performances post-2002. After he retires and people remember his halcyon days again, it'll come back up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Oh, indeed, that's usually the way, but that was just the point I was making (and re-ramming) when I said "short-term memory is a terrible thing".

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I've read much of similar stuff and and I'll never, ever agree that Lara's better than Tendulkar.

My alltime XI:

Jack Hobbs
Sunil Gavaskar
Don Bradman
Brian Lara
+Andy Flower
Vivian Richards
*Imran Khan
Richard Hadlee
Wasim Akram
Shane Warne
Muttiah Muralitharan

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
I've read much of similar stuff and and I'll never, ever agree that Lara's better than Tendulkar.
then its a matter of opinion...and i would rate the opinon of tony greg,ravi shastri and sanjay manjrekar higher than a bloke with 25000 posts to his name

I think Lara is a millimeter ahead of Tendulkar because of his ability to perform consistently in critical situations(which Tendulkar lacks).Otherwise,there's hardly anything which separated these two legends.

then its a matter of opinion...and i would rate the opinon of tony greg,ravi shastri and sanjay manjrekar higher than a bloke with 25000 posts to his name
I've lost respect for Tony Greig because of his constant bashing of great West Indian side without any reason.Sanjay Manjeraker is a nice bloke though.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well you wouldn't be in an all-inclusive club, there.

Many will tell you that there are plenty out there who don't have a clue (Ravi Shastri is first-rate, undoubtedly, the other two are more middle-ground) and that CW posters are much more astute observers.

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
Well you wouldn't be in an all-inclusive club, there.

Many will tell you that there are plenty out there who don't have a clue (Ravi Shastri is first-rate, undoubtedly, the other two are more middle-ground) and that CW posters are much more astute observers.
Yeah, who cares what test cricketers have to say about batting anyway

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I would take Tendulkar for his consistency over Lara's big scores. Lara is very inconsistent (as can be witnessed from a lower average, despite numerous very high scores, as well as an article written by cricinfo which measured their consistency mathematically). Lara has the ability to be more dominating when on song, and can definitely score higher than Tendulkar, but Tendulkar can give you consistency which Lara cannot (and we are speaking of both of them in their primes, of course).

In any case, its one of those things that people will never agree on.

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
Sachin lacks finishing, he has left the team on the doorstep of victory so many times. On the other hand lara finshes what he starts...matchwinner

PhoenixFire

International Coach
1) Hobbs
2) Hutton
3) Bradman
4) Hammond
5) Sobers
6) Miller
7) Flower
8) Marshall
9) Trueman
10) McGrath
11) Muralitharan

open365

International Vice-Captain
Tony Grieg is a complete idiot when it comes to cricket, his column in the wisden cricketer is astoundingly crap.

Just because they've played the game professionaly doesn't mean they have better cricketing knowledge, imo it generaly makes them have worse.

I's take Richard's opinion far more seriously than any of those mentioned, and most other people's on this site for that matter.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, who cares what test cricketers have to say about batting anyway
Did any of them acctualy play a lot of cricket with Lara?

And even if they did, what difference would it make? His stats don't change because they've played test cricket, and unless he's scored another 1000 runs that only previous test cricketers know about i don't really count their opinion as being any more valid than most people's on CW.