• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Afridi Overated?

pup11

International Coach
He is for sure a lucky slogger, and though as Barney said he has shown signs of growing a brain but i think it would take more time for him to mature since he is still 26( its hard to realize that he is playing international cricket for the last 10 odd years).

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
No one rates Afridi highly enough as a batsman for him to be over-rated. And certainly no one rates him as a great player. This thread likely won't last very long.

Fiery

Banned
One of cricket's real characters (would be nice if there were more). An unashamed ball-1 slogger and crowd-thriller when on song. I like him

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dislike him, definitely over-rated. Quite enjoy watching him bat though.

FRAZ

International Captain
He is a good ODI bowler and he may have some test level potential too (bowling) . He is an ok batsman to have and he has his own way of hitting and slogging so he is a pack of entertainment . I want such guys to play and to provide some color to the game . I mean isn't it extra boring some times when there are batsmen with conservative approach to the game and he does some fun with the bat and the ball . No problems with Afridi !

corza_nz

School Boy/Girl Captain
he is definitely entertaining thats for sure...its unbelievable that he starts swinging from ball one but i definitely like watching him and hes valuable to pakistan coz when hes on song they are most likely to win. and hes a handy bowler also. and u definitely CANT call him a lucky slogger, some1 whos scored 4 odi centuries and 27 fifties thats not luck u have 2 be a clean hitter and a good eye to do that. a lucky slogger is some1 like cam white...all in all there shud be more shahid afridis good entertaining stuff.

gunner

U19 Cricketer
very under rated in test matches

he won pakistan the bangalore test match single handedly in a way

RolledOver

U19 Debutant
He could have only played for Pakistan for so long, for most other teams he wouldn't have been picked in first place, or would have been dropped after less than ten matches.

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Afridi - One of the biggest wastes of talent I've seen along with Razzaq and to a lesser extent, Sachin Tendulkar.

pasag

RTDAS
He could have only played for Pakistan for so long, for most other teams he wouldn't have been picked in first place, or would have been dropped after less than ten matches.
These posts are very interesting if you are in fact PakPowered etc.

corza_nz

School Boy/Girl Captain
thats an interesting call considering he has won pakistan at least a dozen games single handedly.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
A very handy ODI player in my opinion, doesn't really have the aptitude yet for the test arena (which begs the question that at 26 will he ever have it?).

Although I look at his test record, he averages 37.40 with 5 100's and 8 50's from 26 tests and with a bowling average of 34.89 you could say he warrants his place.

Last edited:

IndianByHeart

U19 Vice-Captain
just want peoples veiw on whethere they think hes a great player or just a lucky slogger

How can Afridi be great? his stats are anything but mediocre.Haven't heard even a single fan of Afridi saying that he's great, yes they say that he can change the complexion of match in 2 overs, but they have the intelligence not to label him as great.

As for being lucky, well you make ur own luck in cricket.Afridi was the best Pakistan bowler in the OD series in SA, based on that performance then even as just a bowler he deserve a place in OD team.

Xuhaib

International Coach
His bowling is quite competent for ODI cricket and if he fires with the bat is surely ends up as a match winning performance majority of the times.