• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Afridi Overated?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He could have only played for Pakistan for so long, for most other teams he wouldn't have been picked in first place, or would have been dropped after less than ten matches.

If he'd been from any other country apart from Australia then he'd have probably played more consistently, which would mean his record would be better than it is (which is good anyway for ODIs and Tests). If you ignore the rabid fans and look at the general opinion I think Afridi is generally underrated actually. I mean god Mohammed Sami has played more Tests than him. Then you look at the last Test Pakistan played, 3rd Test v SA.

This is the top three...

Mohammed Hafeez averages 35.66 from 10 Tests, his Test bowling is near useless.
Imran Farhat averages 33.10 from 27 Tests, his Test bowling is near useless.
Yasir Hameed averages 35.88 from 20 Tests, his Test bowling is useless.

Pretty obvious to me that Shahid Afridi should have played a lot more Tests than he has.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mohammed Hafeez averages 35.66 from 10 Tests, his Test bowling is near useless.
I think Hafeez is a bit better bowler than you give him credit for. If he got the sort of investment in his bowling that Afridi has, I'm sure he'd be as viable an option. He's a better bowler than batsman IMO.

Woodster

International Captain
Think he has obvious talent for hitting a big ball, but too often he tries to hit absolutey everything. You can not do that in international cricket and have any kind of consistency, thus his place will always be questioned. For what he is capable of he has wasted so many innings in ODI's (and Tests) when just a hint of cricket brain has been required. His bowling is useful in one-dayers and tricky to get away. Not sure he has the wicket-taking capabilities for Test cricket.

Fantastic when he does come off, but not frequent enough by a long shot.

open365

International Vice-Captain
I don't think he's that great, but i don't understand what reasoning people have for calling him a lucky slogger.

How is he lucky?

Nishant

International 12th Man
he is lucky in the sense that sometimes he gets away with a few swings! But...in general, he has the ability to hit the ball hard and can score quickly! The diffrenece bt him and the sehwags or dhonis is that, he is not expected to score big scores...like 100s or good 50s...it is almost expected, by the team, fans and by himself...to get a qucik 30 odd!

Therefore, he never has a cool head when he comes out to bat! Hence, he is referred to as a slogger...and most sloggers are lucky!

open365

Should be averaging more than he does, with his talent.
Not really.

Look at his career, he's been playing international cricket since he was 16, that's longer than any player i can think of, added to that he plays for cricket mad India and has to play a lot more ODIs.

All of it takes it's toll, when rating Tendulkar i think everyone should take that into account, even if he doesn't average as much as some other people, his technique puts him ahead of everyone else for mine.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Not really.

Look at his career, he's been playing international cricket since he was 16, that's longer than any player i can think of, added to that he plays for cricket mad India and has to play a lot more ODIs.

All of it takes it's toll, when rating Tendulkar i think everyone should take that into account, even if he doesn't average as much as some other people, his technique puts him ahead of everyone else for mine.
Well, I'll rephrase that. He's a better batsman than his average gives him credit for.

open365

he is lucky in the sense that sometimes he gets away with a few swings! But...in general, he has the ability to hit the ball hard and can score quickly! The diffrenece bt him and the sehwags or dhonis is that, he is not expected to score big scores...like 100s or good 50s...it is almost expected, by the team, fans and by himself...to get a qucik 30 odd!

Therefore, he never has a cool head when he comes out to bat! Hence, he is referred to as a slogger...and most sloggers are lucky!
Well that's just not true, if everyone batted like Afridi i'm sure they'd get exactly the same amount of 'lucky' edges not cannoning onto the stumps et all as Afridi does, it's just because he's attacking that it shows up whenever he plays.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yes, it's a disgrace that he hasn't managed to average 60 for ever and ever more... ?:huh:
It's amazing how many people discredit Tendulkar's achievements. Even given his recent slump he is undoubtedly, in my mind, alongside Lara as the leading batsmen of the modern era (ie since 1990).

More than 90% of cricketers will never achieve what Tendulkar has.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
It's amazing how many people discredit Tendulkar's achievements. Even given his recent slump he is undoubtedly, in my mind, alongside Lara as the leading batsmen of the modern era (ie since 1990).

More than 90% of cricketers will never achieve what Tendulkar has.
Totally agree. Had he retired in 2001, he would have been 2nd only to Bradman, in some people's eyes.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Or 2002, too...

Amazing how such people who were calling him "best since Bradman" (no one case can be so IMO) are now decrying his every move. :(

haroon510

International 12th Man
well as a batsman if someone claim that he is one of the great batsman of all time that is what i call overrating. but no one has said that. he is a good all rounder. a good bowler, a bit inconsistance but useful batsman and a wonderful fielder. considering the fact that his test record is better than his one day record i think he should play more test matches than one day. basically u can't just rate afridi for his batting or bowling. he is a team's man. he does everything. that doesn't make him overrated or underrated.
his batting has always been entertaining for me becuase i don't like watching batsman who play very slow. who spend alot of time to play shots (likes of killes, dravid and so on have always made me bore). but i think he shouldn't be opening the inngs in both form of the game. number 6 or 7 is always a good spot of him to come and bat.

Last edited: