• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Did Brian lara waste is oneday cricket talent?

dass

Banned
Brian lara arguably is one of the top Test batsmen in history. But what about oneday cricket?. In his early career from 1990 to 1997 he served his potencial talent fully, he was averaging almost 47 at one point, but since 1997 his average in oneday matches just keeps dropping and now in 2007 its just over 40. so in the second half of his career has he wasted his talent?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I think its more about focusing on Tests. He has admitted that he would much rather play Tests. His test play has also gotten more inconsistent since the late nineties, but he has been able to score big ones when he gets in (unlike Sachin) to keep his average up in tests.

Lara peaked in the early-mid nineties as a batsman in both forms (Sachin in mid-late nineties).

open365

International Vice-Captain
No. Any one-day average over 40 is top notch, IMO.
But he used to be at 47, i think Lara is a good enough player on ability to be in the Sachin/Kallis bracket.

His game especialy should be suited to ODIs because of his suppleness and ability to find the gaps and score singles coupled with all round strokeplay and boundary hitting.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Lara obviously hasn't been as good since his average started coming down from 47.

But he's still had spells of prolific scoring in Tests. Just like always.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Lara has been shuffling up and down the West Indies batting order for some time now, especially when he's been captain. It's pretty clear that this has affected his batting. In 2006 in particular he came to the crease on several occasions without much time to build a big score. That said, it's not the sole reason for the decline in batting average, but it is a notable one. He's always been at his best batting in the top four, and had he not had the stress of captaincy and been allowed to settle in the role, I'm convinced he'd have been one of the great ODI openers.

I'm really hoping he has a moderate World Cup at the very least, so that his average is over 40 when he retires.

Dick Rockett

International Vice-Captain
But he used to be at 47, i think Lara is a good enough player on ability to be in the Sachin/Kallis bracket.
It's not uncommon for a player to initially have a high average, then for it to subside. The more one plays, the better the opposition can prepare for you. Obviously as a marquee player, Brian Lara attracts perhaps more than his share of analysis and preparation. One could also argue that 47 is extremely difficult to maintain anyway.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I think it is his shuffling up and down the order all the time that is the main reason. He has never really settled into a certain spot in the batting line up and that has affected him. That, and the fact that he himself has admitted that he is more comfortable playing a test match than an ODI.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If Tendulkar can, Lara certainly can \ could.

IMO it's a shame that Tendulkar did and Lara didn't.

Personally I always thought both were best off for their teams at four, myself, but there we go. I just wish that the two had done the same thing.

C_C

International Captain
Well he did squander his talent (there was a period when Lara came at #5 and just wanted to hit a quickfire 30) but he's still done enough to be in my alltime ODI XI.

My top four in ODIs would be Tendulkar-Gillchrist-Richards-Lara.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It'd depend.

If my World XI was on usual criterion, then he might miss out.

If it were to play against the Mars XI upon which the fate of the universe was decided, would have to put him in my side.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well he did squander his talent (there was a period when Lara came at #5 and just wanted to hit a quickfire 30) but he's still done enough to be in my alltime ODI XI.

My top four in ODIs would be Tendulkar-Gillchrist-Richards-Lara.
Ganguly & Anwar > Gilchrist IMO.

pup11

International Coach
Even if gilly scores a quickfire 50 then more or less his team wins, so therefore it underlines his ability to destroy an attack. IMO, You can't say the same thing about either Ganguly or anwar.