• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Indian 15 outside the World Cup 15

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Gautham Gambhir
Swapnil Asnodkar/Barrington Rowland
VVS Laxman
C Raghu
Hemang Badani
Cheteswar Pujara
S Badrinath
Joginder Sharma
Ramesh Powar
JP Yadav/Praveen Kumar
P Ohja
VRV Singh
RP Singh
Abid Nabi
Rakesh Patel

pup11

International Coach
Suprising to see no Mohd. kaif, dinesh mongia, piyush chawla, v.rao, ranadeep bose, s.raina on that list.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Asnodkar? Rowland? Raghu? Nabi? Patel? Not now.
Asnodkar's a quota player and nothing more. That he's been in the runs is just a freak event. Rowland is just one too many, too old and nothing special. Given the so-called spin options, who are not options at all, Raghu has a chance. The Indians still have a problem putting together a pace attack, so Nabi isn't out. Rakesh Patel is also an interesting choice.

As for the rest of the squad, I'd say Joginder Sharma is a good choice. JP Yadav is now past it, and won't make the next World Cup probables list, and Praveen Kumar is outperforming him. Powar is one in this 15 who should have been in the first 15. Ojha hasn't had any major success, and is on par with Nadeem and SS Singh. Laxman and Badani are past it. Kaif, Raina and Chawla miss out here.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Suprising to see no Mohd. kaif, dinesh mongia, piyush chawla, v.rao, ranadeep bose, s.raina on that list.
Not really, Rao and Raina were given umpteen chances and blew most of 'em (Raina at least will almost certainly be back, obviously), Mongia is just rubbish in ODIs and always has been, Chawla's, what, 18, and Kaif's been given almost as many chances as Mongia and done almost as badly.

And I haven't even heard of Ranadeep Bose... who wasn't on that list.

adharcric

International Coach
Arjun said:
The Indians still have a problem putting together a pace attack, so Nabi isn't out.
Abid Nabi hasn't exactly set the domestic scene on fire in recent times, not even the Plate League. Hopefully that changes soon.

adharcric

International Coach
Not really, Rao and Raina were given umpteen chances and blew most of 'em (Raina at least will almost certainly be back, obviously), Mongia is just rubbish in ODIs and always has been, Chawla's, what, 18, and Kaif's been given almost as many chances as Mongia and done almost as badly.

And I haven't even heard of Ranadeep Bose... who wasn't on that list.
Kaif is truly an enigma. For years, he didn't really do much coming down the order apart from the rare success (ie Natwest). As soon as Chappell took over, Kaif was promoted to #3 for a short period and did quite well. Unfortunately, the management blew it and pushed him back down the order. Since then, he has wasted the rare opportunity, done well only to get dropped and been recalled only to fail. He still has a role to play IMO.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Certainly in the post-Ganguly\Dravid\Tendulkar era he has a role IMO, it's just a question of whether he can take his chances.

I mean, it makes perfect sense that he'd be better at three or four, but for some reason his two most notable innings have come at seven!

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
Gautham Gambhir
Swapnil Asnodkar/Barrington Rowland
VVS Laxman
C Raghu
Hemang Badani
Cheteswar Pujara
S Badrinath
Joginder Sharma
Ramesh Powar
JP Yadav/Praveen Kumar
P Ohja
VRV Singh
RP Singh
Abid Nabi
Rakesh Patel
Certainly Mongia, Kaif and Raina have had their times and do not deserve another chance.
May be Raina down the line if he puts up good shows in the domestic front. But i dont find him in the Deodhar matches? Is he injured.

Refined list would be

Gautham Gambhir
Yusuf Pathan (seems to be playing well as a hitter, good and useful bowler)
VVS Laxman
C Raghu
Hemang Badani (certainly not past it, can play a big role if selected)
Cheteswar Pujara/Rohit Sharma( But Pujara has played some vital and of course big knocks in the Ranji)
S Badrinath
Joginder Sharma
Ramesh Powar
JP Yadav/Praveen Kumar
P Ohja/S Nadeem
VRV Singh
RP Singh
Abid Nabi
Rakesh Patel/K.S.Shahabuddin (He is a long serving player and he can also bat)

adharcric

International Coach
Even a year of two of consistent performances would be adequate considering he has already had two or three good seasons. I'd rather see him excel for India A abroad.

adharcric

International Coach
Certainly Mongia, Kaif and Raina have had their times and do not deserve another chance.
May be Raina down the line if he puts up good shows in the domestic front. But i dont find him in the Deodhar matches? Is he injured.

Refined list would be

Gautham Gambhir
Yusuf Pathan (seems to be playing well as a hitter, good and useful bowler)
VVS Laxman
C Raghu
Hemang Badani (certainly not past it, can play a big role if selected)
Cheteswar Pujara/Rohit Sharma( But Pujara has played some vital and of course big knocks in the Ranji)
S Badrinath
Joginder Sharma
Ramesh Powar
JP Yadav/Praveen Kumar
P Ohja/S Nadeem
VRV Singh
RP Singh
Abid Nabi
Rakesh Patel/K.S.Shahabuddin (He is a long serving player and he can also bat)
JP Yadav is finished. Badani is finished. Ojha and Nadeem haven't taken wickets for long enough. Nabi has potential but he's behind others who have taken plenty of Elite League wickets. Raghu is a prospect but I don't see how he's anything special at this point. Sahabuddin, according to Arjun IIRC, bowls at 120 kph.
Here's what my India A (excluding WC selections) side would look like right now.
First-class
G Gambhir, C Pujara, M Kaif*, S Badrinath, S Raina, R Sharma, P Shah+, J Sharma, R Powar, P Chawla, G Singh, VRV Singh, I Sharma, R Bose
Limited Overs
G Gambhir, S Dhawan, M Kaif*, S Badrinath, S Raina, R Sharma/M Tiwary, P Patel+, Y Pathan, R Powar, P Chawla, RP Singh, VRV Singh, I Sharma, R Patel

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well... I kinda think maybe he could... dunno what it is, there was just always something about him that I really liked, for some completely inexplicable reason...

He was one player I wanted to do well more than most, and it makes me a bit sad that he never did.

Maybe I just liked the name Hemang... :confused:

adharcric

International Coach
Hmm yeah, I still remember wanting the newly selected Yuvraj and Badani to do really well as middle-order batsmen and superb fielders. Yet another wasted talent in India ... (?)

ramkumar_gr

U19 Vice-Captain
JP Yadav is finished. Badani is finished. Ojha and Nadeem haven't taken wickets for long enough. Nabi has potential but he's behind others who have taken plenty of Elite League wickets. Raghu is a prospect but I don't see how he's anything special at this point. Sahabuddin, according to Arjun IIRC, bowls at 120 kph.
Here's what my India A (excluding WC selections) side would look like right now.
First-class
G Gambhir, C Pujara, M Kaif*, S Badrinath, S Raina, R Sharma, P Shah+, J Sharma, R Powar, P Chawla, G Singh, VRV Singh, I Sharma, R Bose
Limited Overs
G Gambhir, S Dhawan, M Kaif*, S Badrinath, S Raina, R Sharma/M Tiwary, P Patel+, Y Pathan, R Powar, P Chawla, RP Singh, VRV Singh, I Sharma, R Patel

P Shah as the keeper. I would go with Deep Das Gupta or Pankaj Dharmani or even Thilak Naidu instead. Though Dharmani would be my favourite for both versions.Instead of Parthiv i would have a make shift keeper on anyday. Please remember we tied one series and lost one series against australia because of Parthiv where we should have won both.

I dont know why you rate Kaif and Raina so highly. Let him come with substantial knocks in the domestic cirtuite. Getting dropped from the Indian team does not mean a guaranteed place in the next immediate team in the hierarchy i.e. India 'A' or the XI we are discussing.
Same holds good for Raina. They have not done anything of note after being dropped.

I feel Bahutule or Amit Mishra is a better spinner than P Chawla, who does not have flight or any special balls in his repetoire. I wont pick him for his batting though.

If you say Badani is a spent force, the same thing should hold good for Gagandeep Singh.
Let us not follow the same logic what the indian selectors follow. I mean let us not consider the age factor at all.

On the batting front Yashpal Singh or Rajat Bhatia would make a better choice.