• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Simon Jones

Do England Need Simon Jones

• Yes

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • No

Votes: 9 23.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes England definately need him, an attack consisting of Flintoff, Jones, Hoggard and Panesar is good enough that they don't need an extra bowler and Flintoff can bat at #7.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
The way they played in the tests out here, they need Indiana Jones.

I would have loved to have seen Jones out here this tour to see if he could have swung the ball to some extent, as the other bowlers mostly failed to do. But I don't think he's the answer to England's woes (not that anyone here is saying he's the be-all and end-all). He bowled beautifully in '05, no doubt, but I'm still not usre he is consistent enough at test level away from home. That's not really his fault either, as his career has been punctuated with so many injuries. Good bowler, though and they could use him for sure. How he'd go without those mints is another question hat needs to be answered.....
A question hat needs to be answered...?

Woss a question hat, then? ;)

Seriously - what does it matter what methods are used to get the ball into condition? How on Earth do you suggest regulating the banning of methods of saliva-manufacturing?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yes England definately need him, an attack consisting of Flintoff, Jones, Hoggard and Panesar is good enough that they don't need an extra bowler and Flintoff can bat at #7.
Would be the best line up for mine. That said, Jones strikes me as one of those bowlers who'll never really be fit again. What's the latest word on his injury status though?

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
England would still need the extra bowler as that would leave Flintoff and Jones with too high a workload imo. I'd like to see how Harmison goes early season, if not Anderson, Plunkett or Saj.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Do you think England need him we all agree that England havn't played well since the 2005 Ashes could that have something to do with Jone's not being in the team.
I'll cut you some slack for your liberal use of apostrophes every time there's a plural, because you're only young. But that is just unacceptable! Does your alphabet go a b c d...q r 's t... ???

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Yes - but it will be interesting if /when he comes back he can bowl as well as in 2005. What people forget is that pre the 2005 Ashes people thought he was the weak link of the pace attack and remember they dropped him earlier that year (in Jo'burg) prefering a guy who hadn't bowled in a FC match on tour (Anderson). Even if he gets fit, he could turn out to be the 2005 answer to Richard Elison.

pup11

International Coach
How bad is his injury that it has taken more than 500 days to recover and still counting(he hasn't played since the trent bridge test in ashes 05)? Would he be making a comeback this season?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yes - but it will be interesting if /when he comes back he can bowl as well as in 2005. What people forget is that pre the 2005 Ashes people thought he was the weak link of the pace attack and remember they dropped him earlier that year (in Jo'burg) prefering a guy who hadn't bowled in a FC match on tour (Anderson). Even if he gets fit, he could turn out to be the 2005 answer to Richard Elison.
TBF Ellison was more than a two-match wonder. If only a bit.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
SEVEN pratts who voted no?!?!?!?!?

I mean, there's having an opinion and there's thinking that Saj and Liam are better bets in our Test team than Simon Jones... :eek: