• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Ashok Thakur

PY

International Coach
Ask Dickinson why the numbers 3, 0 and 49 make him laugh (I think), and you'll probably know the answer to the question you just asked.
I don't even know the story yet I can guess.

I admire Neil for carrying in the face of severe adversity sometimes.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
You guys are cruel. What Pickup needs is a good old pep talk session with SilentStriker on how crap Indian fast bowlers are.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Good luck mate. He's Indian so he probably can't bowl faster than 35mph, and will spray 3-4 wides for every delivery on good line. Generally, its safe to leave every ball in the vicinity of off stump because its never actually going to hit the stumps anyway. Best plan is to play forward, like you would a spinner, and use sweeps and reverse sweeps. Don't worry about back foot play, it won't be needed as he can't bowl short even if he wanted to.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
All a bit anticlimactic. Chudleigh sent their 2nd XI.

Even so, when I came out to bat in the 33rd over of 40, we had stuttered to 87 for 6 (although that was far better than 20 for 4 had been).

I hit my first ball for four behind square leg, added another boundary later in the over, and two overs on I lost the ball in a neighbouring field. Which felt good. Unfortunately a couple of overs on, I lost my off stump attempting to hit the same bowler straight down the ground - nonetheless, at 108 for 7 with 3.5 overs left, I thought we could push on. Wrong! All out, 112.

Chudleigh knocked them off without really breaking sweat, recording a six-wicket win with five overs to spare. I managed to shell one catch that got bludgeoned at me very hard and flat at wide mid-on, but held on to one skier - which went right up between about five fielders, who all just stood still and left me, as the only one to have actually taken a step forward, to it. Straight in, no problems...

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I hit my first ball for four behind square leg, added another boundary later in the over, and two overs on I lost the ball in a neighbouring field. Which felt good. Unfortunately a couple of overs on, I lost my off stump attempting to hit the same bowler straight down the ground - nonetheless, at 108 for 7 with 3.5 overs left, I thought we could push on. Wrong! All out, 112.
Good effort! Well played. Also, can't blame a tailender.. ooops number 8 batsman.. if the top order doesn't put enough runs on the board.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
All a bit anticlimactic. Chudleigh sent their 2nd XI.

Even so, when I came out to bat in the 33rd over of 40, we had stuttered to 87 for 6 (although that was far better than 20 for 4 had been).

Chudleigh knocked them off without really breaking sweat, recording a six-wicket win with five overs to spare. I managed to shell one catch that got bludgeoned at me very hard and flat at wide mid-on, but held on to one skier - which went right up between about five fielders, who all just stood still and left me, as the only one to have actually taken a step forward, to it. Straight in, no problems...

Ah top stuff Neil. The big question: Did you hit a 6?

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Well played Neil, glad to hear you didn't have to go up against Thakur.