• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who will the first to break Anwar's 194?

Trigger_Tiger

U19 Captain

Until Sannath Jayasuriya retires, my money would be on him.

After him it would have to be Ricky Ponting, Herchelle Gibbs, Rahul Dravid, Kumar Sangakara (I just don't know why, but he might be able to do so!!!!!)

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Ponting for obvious reasons, Jayasuriya, Smith, Ganguly and Hayden may get it. Maybe Pietersen if he can get past 120 odd.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Would have to be someone who could bat the full 50 without having to play defensively early on, so it'd be someone in the top three. I'd say Gilchrist is still the best bet if he has a lucky day on a small ground. He's looked like doing it a couple of times before, and with plenty of time to spare as well. Actually, he looked like he might manage it in a domestic one dayer this season too.

Jayasuria will always be a chance until he retires as well. Other than those two, Ponting and Gayle are both plausible.

Poker Boy

State Vice-Captain
Its probably going to be an opener which narrows the field down a bit. So I'd say Gilchrist, Jayusaria, Gayle, Ganguly , Schewag or Gibbs (if SA ever have him opening again). fFunniy enough it might be broken when you least expect it - who'd have thought the first score of over 400 would come in a SA v A match at the Wanderers - never mind the second one - and I reckon the minnows will prove more competent at bowling (apart from at the death) than battting - that was certinaly the case in 2003. Remember Namimba conceded less against the Aussies than Pakistan, SL or India but the batsmen didn't have a clue - and that night be the case with the likes of Bermuda this time.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You missed the point. Someone said he hadn't hit 100 since SA, 91 is only 7 off that.
I'm sorry, but that post must collect the Inzy at the last minute. I got it once for mentioning an "eleventh wicket stand" so surely PF can have it for 100-7 = 91.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
You missed the point. Someone said he hadn't hit 100 since SA, 91 is only 7 off that.
You're too touchy over Pietersen. In no way was I criticising him, nor was dontcloseyoureyes.

The fact that he struggles to get to triple figures, which has been shown over the last 24 months, is proof that whilst he's a great ODI agressive batsman who scores very quickly, he rarely reaches a century for various reasons. Why he gets not outs in the 70s and 80s is obvious, he bats low. Add that with the fact he's lost his head a few times in ODIs, and its simple why he doesn't get to 100 very often. The same probably goes for Dhoni atm, even though he has a 183* to his name.

So, despite what many think, unless he bats higher, there are better candidates to break the 200 record. Gilly, Ponting, Jayasuriya, Ganguly, Smith, Gibbs, Gayle are all more likely.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, I reckon Jono's right. KP would obviously be most likely to get a 200 against Canada, but there's (hopefully) not much chance of them getting two wickets in quick enough time for KP to be out there long enough.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
You're too touchy over Pietersen. In no way was I criticising him, nor was dontcloseyoureyes.

The fact that he struggles to get to triple figures, which has been shown over the last 24 months, is proof that whilst he's a great ODI agressive batsman who scores very quickly, he rarely reaches a century for various reasons. Why he gets not outs in the 70s and 80s is obvious, he bats low. Add that with the fact he's lost his head a few times in ODIs, and its simple why he doesn't get to 100 very often. The same probably goes for Dhoni atm, even though he has a 183* to his name.

So, despite what many think, unless he bats higher, there are better candidates to break the 200 record. Gilly, Ponting, Jayasuriya, Ganguly, Smith, Gibbs, Gayle are all more likely.
I apologise for sounding rude, it wasn't intended.

I was careful to put that if he gets past 120/30 odd. Right now, he does have trouble getting to that mark, but with a player of his talent, I don't really see any reason why he shouldn't be able to overcome it. Despite what many people think, he is a very focussed individual, who spends hours practicing and so on.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah I have no doubt that if given the right situation, he may be able to do it. However its quite hard to hit 200 runs yourself coming out to bat in the 18th over. Much more likely doing it opening, or coming out in the 3rd over or something.