• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best and worst cricket journalists

pasag

RTDAS
I think Richard gave me the idea to start this thread. I read a fair amount of cricket articles and off the top if my head, I can't stand Brendan McArdle (****s me) and Peter Roebuck ( who has his good days sometimes, very rare though), Trevor Marshallsea at The Age is particularly dire as well and I think Greg Baum should stick to the football.

Gideon Haigh and Osman Samiuddin are both great. (I'll think of some more later).

Thoughts?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I certainly like Gideon Haigh and Osman, too. Simon Barnes (usually) is right up there, even if he let himself down badly of late. CMJ and Aggers are rightly very, very well respected as both coms and journos.

Matthew Engel is my personal favourite, though.

I often think the likes of Michael Henderson go OTT but they undoubtedly know their stuff.

There are many, many cricket journos out there, though, who don't have a clue IMO - the top posters on this forum could take 'em to the cleaners. Clapo's "lefty Shaun Tait" guy probably takes the biscuit, though.

open365

International Vice-Captain
Aggers is my favourite, his radio comentary as well is superb.

He always gives a fair view point on any subject and never gets worked up about anything.

I agree with the line of thought that lesser cricketers make for better journalists.

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Big fan of Gideon Haigh and I don't mind Tim de Lisle, Kamran Abbasi isn't my favourite though.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Richard Boock's my favourite.

As far as columnists go, Adam Parore's the worst in the world IMO.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Gideon Haigh is quality, and you can't go wrong with Aggers.

On a note more close to home, I always enjoy reading anything by Camps or Pickup.

Jungle Jumbo

I'd add Rahul Bhattachrya (sp) to those mentioned above.

Worst: Rabeed Imam, the only Bangladeshi correspondant I can name. His writing is fairly terrible.

open365

I'd add Rahul Bhattachrya (sp) to those mentioned above.

Worst: Rabeed Imam, the only Bangladeshi correspondant I can name. His writing is fairly terrible.
Ahhhh i forgot about Rahul, i love his writing, have you read "You must like cricket?" by him? I love that book.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I like Miller.
Hmm... I'm never completely convinced about him. He's good, certainly, but... it's hard to pin down exactly what it is. Just a bit too loving of the spontaneity, is the nearest I can get to an accurate description, for me.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
Engel is so dire, I can't believe it, he takes the piss out of Minnows aswell oh so dire

Voltman ofcourse!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Engel is so dire, I can't believe it, he takes the piss out of Minnows aswell oh so dire
He doesn't take the piss out of them, that's what's so good about him - but he does keep things in perspective, which many people do not. In fact, many people have utter delusions about how far the game of cricket can expand.

Matthew Engel does not.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Osman, Rahul Bhattacharya, Guys @ The Hindu, Rohit Brijnath

Worst - Sclyd berry, Sanjay Jha, Anand Vasu, Dileep Premchandran