• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best and worst cricket journalists

armchairumpire

U19 Cricketer
Ian Smith wouldn't be far off either, I read an article of his today and he said "McCullum is the second best wicket-keeper batsman in ODI's, second only to Gilchrist. His glovework is already better than the Australians" Felt like yelling at somebody.
Well someone has to say nice things about NZ cricket! I think Gideon Haigh writes really well.

Fiery

Banned
I wasn't dencouning Smith's lack of knowledge about wicket keeping but the fact he completely forgot about Dhoni and Sangakarra, two wicket keeper-batsman who are better than McCullum in ODI's by a fair way.
Yeah, fair enough mate. Most people would agree with you on that

Slow Love™

International Captain
I wish he would write more on cricket...has pretty much stopped I think... Of the others, I used to like Manthorp, but his last few articles, the one on Gibbs didn't really impress me much..Lawrence Booth, is quite funny as The Spin...

Craddock is definitely the worst..
Yeah, I really liked Varma's 23 Yards blog, and the stuff he was doing in Wicket to Wicket. He seems to be relegated to audio domestic reports at cricinfo now, is he still the Indian managing editor? Either way, most of his writing time these days seems to be spent at his general blog, India Uncut, with the odd piece at the Guardian.

And funny that I forgot Lawrence Booth's column, I seeing as I have an email subscription to it. :shy:

FRAZ

International Captain
Yeah, I really liked Varma's 23 Yards blog, and the stuff he was doing in Wicket to Wicket. He seems to be relegated to audio domestic reports at cricinfo now, is he still the Indian managing editor? Either way, most of his writing time these days seems to be spent at his general blog, India Uncut, with the odd piece at the Guardian.

And funny that I forgot Lawrence Booth's column, I seeing as I have an email subscription to it. :shy:
Varma creats relatively digestable stuff outta sub-continental lot .

thierry henry

International Coach
Everyone from NZ is terrible. I used to not mind Richard Boock but have realised he is actually a first class knob. Seems to think he is a comedy writer or something, and never seems to be able to give anyone genuine praise.

thierry henry

International Coach
I imagine him being dire too. I can just see him either (a) trying too hard to be "hard hitting" and "pull no punches", or (b) being funny and sarcastic about everything. These are the downfalls of the NZ sports journalist imo.

Fiery

Banned
I imagine him being dire too. I can just see him either (a) trying too hard to be "hard hitting" and "pull no punches", or (b) being funny and sarcastic about everything. These are the downfalls of the NZ sports journalist imo.
Give me an example of a writer you do like from somewhere else. IMO a good journalist IS hard-hitting and pulls no punches, and injects some humour which is why I like guys like Chris Rattue and Richard Boock, although I do get the sense sometimes that some of Boock's writing can be slightly vindictive and is probably influenced by personal dealings at times. I would rather read that sort of thing than a colourless description of the events of a game when I've usually already watched it myself.

Last edited:

thierry henry

International Coach
Hard-hitting is a euphemism for bull****. Reality is rarely "hard-hitting". To be consistently "hard hitting" you have to consistently exaggerate. Someone like Boock for instance, makes everything out to be a major drama, and it's very transparent.

ftr, and tbh, I don't know what journalist I like. Mostly I just read the NZ newspapers and as I say, I don't rate any of them. Apart from that I read articles on cricinfo based mostly on subject matter, and I post on forums.

Fiery

Banned
Hard-hitting is a euphemism for bull****. Reality is rarely "hard-hitting". To be consistently "hard hitting" you have to consistently exaggerate. Someone like Boock for instance, makes everything out to be a major drama, and it's very transparent.

ftr, and tbh, I don't know what journalist I like. Mostly I just read the NZ newspapers and as I say, I don't rate any of them. Apart from that I read articles on cricinfo based mostly on subject matter, and I post on forums.
Fair enough. Not sure I agree entirely that hard-hitting is a euphemism for bull**** but can see where you are coming from. Stating the obvious I know but Boock's job is to write stories that will help his bosses sell more papers, so of course he will dramatise and sensationalise things. I like having the best of both worlds...I would be just as happy reading The Sun as I would one of the conservative broadsheets on the tube when I was living in London and also enjoy the opinions of people all over the world on this website...(except when people are singing the praises of players like Shane Watson :dry:)

burr

State Vice-Captain
Definitely Gideon Haigh. He stands out like a beacon amongst cricket writers. And he is that. A writer. As opposed to a journalist. Reading his blog during the Ashes was so much fun.

I have major issues with Peter Roebuck. He tries to be a writer, and perhaps thinks because he studied at Cambridge he is one. The man has no talent. It’s a sad fact. Those painful, painful analogies and metaphors. The over-wrought style stuffed with pseudo literary references. It’s, well…painful.

Good topic by the way.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member

I'll wait until you read something of mine. Until then, I couldn't give two ****s what you think.