Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Batting Wicketkeepers

Batting Wicketkeepers

I have noticed this lately, that Wicketkeepers who can bat are never like real defensive, just aggressive and big hitters. I'm not sure what's the go with with that, has anyone else got any clue?? Because all the Wicketkkepers i know personally aren't really agreesive, and open the batting.

Is it, like some kind of trend??

Perhaps they are aggressive with the bat because they have another skill to fall back on if things go wrong. Then again, Gilchrist is Gilchrist and Dhoni is a once-in-a-lifetime freak of nature. Sangakarra isn't too aggressive and Boucher/McCullum usually come late in the innings so it makes sense. I'm not sure if it's much of a trend.

International Debutant Natman20's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post
    I have noticed this lately, that Wicketkeepers who can bat are never like real defensive, just aggressive and big hitters. I'm not sure what's the go with with that, has anyone else got any clue?? Because all the Wicketkkepers i know personally aren't really agreesive, and open the batting.

Wicket keepers roles have generally been to help the tail-enders finish off the innings so it is common for them to be taught to play aggressively from the start. We have seen the likes of Sangakkara really work on their batting skills and become more defensive. A wicket keeper is there to help out with the bat but really to perform a great job with the gloves. If the player focus's on batting rather than wicket keeping all the time it is likely that their wicket keeping skills will decrease and vice versa IMO. I think Gilchrist is one of those victims and of course Sangakkara was replaced with Jayawardena for a bit to let him focus on batting.
    Last edited by Natman20; 23-02-2007 at 11:32 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by luffy View Post

Yeah, the wicket-keeper in my team is a stone-waller and usually anchors our innings. In general I think keepers are expected to score quickly at international level and are generally smaller, athletic and naturally aggressive sort of players

We have 3 keepers in our Juniors team, and we are all moderate batters who score quick enough without being big hitters.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Perm's Avatar
    I suppose being an "aggressive batsman" is almost a requirement of becoming a top class wicket keeper-batsman. Gilchrist, Dhoni, McCullum and Boucher are all fairly aggresive but guys like Read, Sangakarra/Jayawardene and Ramdin are all pretty limited in their shot play, causing them to be more defensive and being able to "graft" an innings rather than explode.
    The Future of International Cricket - Rohit Sharma, Suresh Raina, Ravi Bopara, Tim Southee, Ross Taylor, Shahriar Nafees, Raqibul Hasan, Salman Butt, JP Duminy
    Proud Supporter of the Bangladeshi Tigers
    Ryan ten Doeschate - A Legend in the Making
    MSN: zacattack90@hotmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Romance can be dealt with elsewhere - I just don't enjoy it in cricket.

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Perm View Post
    I suppose being an "aggressive batsman" is almost a requirement of becoming a top class wicket keeper-batsman. Gilchrist, Dhoni, McCullum and Boucher are all fairly aggresive but guys like Read, Sangakarra/Jayawardene and Ramdin are all pretty limited in their shot play, causing them to be more defensive and being able to "graft" an innings rather than explode.
    Just a year ago Akmal would've featured in that post
    RIP Craigos

Banned
    Gilchrist, Dhoni, McCullum and Boucher are all fairly aggresive but guys like Read, Sangakarra/Jayawardene and Ramdin are all pretty limited in their shot play.
    I would have put Sangakarra in the former category. He's certainly not limited in his shot-play and scores his runs at a good speed. He's class

C_C
    Eh ? Sangakkara limited in shotplay ?!?

Global Moderator nightprowler10's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by C_C View Post
    He's saying he's not limited in his shot-play.

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10 View Post
    Just a year ago Akmal would've featured in that post
    Unfortunately I haven't seen him bat enough to judge on how aggressive he is, I know he is a shot player who can be very aggressive but his current form doesn't really warrant judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
    I would have put Sangakarra in the former category. He's certainly not limited in his shot-play and scores his runs at a good speed. He's class
    My mistake, I wasn't meant to put Sangakarra in that category, he isn't as aggressive as Gilchrist, Dhoni, McCullum and Boucher but he is more classical and does have all the shots. In saying that, it's not fair comparing him to the other wicket-keepers because Jayawardene keeps in most of the Test's thesedays.

Quote Originally Posted by C_C View Post
    See above, my mistake.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    Um Sangakarra is anything but limited in his shot play, his got every shot in the book. In general his a very aggressive batsmen, but due to the responsibility he has to his wicket he bats more defensive then he would like, cus of how important his wicket is.

Read and Jayawardene are both very aggressive batsmen, but don't have many shot, which means that seem defensive cus they play and miss a lot.

Ramdin on the other hand is quite defensive and is probably the most defensive keeper/batsmen in the game ATM. But his not really a stone waller.

When it comes down to it all the keepers generally bat to their natural game, but due to the position they play in the middle order. A lot of times they have to slog in ODIs or hit out in Tests when the tail is in. Also its another aspect of the Gilly influence with all side looking for the next Gilchrist, aggressive keeper/batsmen who can bat in the top six.
    The man, the mountain, the Mathews. The greatest all rounder since Keith Miller. (Y)

Jaffna Jets CC (Battrick & FTP)

RIP WCC and CW Cricket

Member of the MSC, JMAS and CVAAS

Quote Originally Posted by chaminda_00 View Post
    Um Sangakarra is anything but limited in his shot play, his got every shot in the book. In general his a very aggressive batsmen, but due to the responsibility he has to his wicket he bats more defensive then he would like, cus of how important his wicket is.
    I made a mistake and corrected that in my last post. I wouldn't classify him as "aggressive" but he is definately a shot player.

Read and Jayawardene are both very aggressive batsmen, but don't have many shot, which means that seem defensive cus they play and miss a lot.
    I find it hard to beleive that both are "aggressive" batsman at international level considering they have both been poor for their respective nations. I've seen both of them bat and they look pretty limited, and because of that they don't come across as aggressive.

When it comes down to it all the keepers generally bat to their natural game, but due to the position they play in the middle order. A lot of times they have to slog in ODIs or hit out in Tests when the tail is in. Also its another aspect of the Gilly influence with all side looking for the next Gilchrist, aggressive keeper/batsmen who can bat in the top six.
    I agree with that comment, teams are looking for the aggressive wicket keeper-batsman who adds balance to the lower order and makes the tail seem stronger due to the fact he could well put on century partnerships with those bowlers.

Hall of Fame Member chaminda_00's Avatar
    I find it hard to beleive that both are "aggressive" batsman at international level considering they have both been poor for their respective nations. I've seen both of them bat and they look pretty limited, and because of that they don't come across as aggressive.
    Just beacause someone is limited in their shot play or poor technique doesn't mean they are not aggressive batsmen. The biggest flaw in Jayawardene game, is that he trys to play too many shots to balls that aren't there to play those shots. I doubt you'll will ever see him come out and try and block the ball.

Read has been known to play more conversitive innings, but in general his an aggressive. On of the arguments to get him in the ODI side infront Jones a year ago, was his ability to slog at the end. His only half decent innings at international level was when he slogged England to victory against Windies, a couple years back.

Both are aggressive batsmen, but lack the ability to show their aggression as anything more then a poor technique

Just beacause someone is limited in their shot play or poor technique doesn't mean they are not aggressive batsmen. The biggest flaw in Jayawardene game, is that he trys to play too many shots to balls that aren't there to play those shots. I doubt you'll will ever see him come out and try and block the ball.

Read has been known to play more conversitive innings, but in general his an aggressive. On of the arguments to get him in the ODI side infront Jones a year ago, was his ability to slog at the end. His only half decent innings at international level was when he slogged England to victory against Windies, a couple years back.

Both are aggressive batsmen, but lack the ability to show their aggression as anything more then a poor technique
    If they do not possess the technique or shot selection to show their aggression then I don't think they can really be considered aggressive batsman, because although they have an aggressive mindset they can't really show it on the international stage. Same could be said of Chris Martin (random example), he may have a very aggressive mind set when he comes into bat but because of his limitations he is unable to show that aggression and merely looks like an idiot.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information