• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What would you rather have??

open365

International Vice-Captain
That's nonsense, everyone who knows anything about sport knows Nandrolone is banned.

Obviously they're not going to dispute that they took the stuff, because it's there in their body. That's not up for dispute.

Their claim was that they took supplements which were contaminated with Nandrolone - a claim I find perfectly plausible.
Untill any of you can be bothered to read the report they released, i don't see the point in arguing over it because your all speculating.

pup11

International Coach
Akthar's claim that he took Nandrolone unknowingly through his supplements is as dumb as warney's claim that the pill he took which contained some banned substances was given to him by his mum.

open365

Akthar's claim that he took Nandrolone unknowingly through his supplements is as dumb as warney's claim that the pill he took which contained some banned substances was given to him by his mum.
Warney's claim was perfectly reasonable(i think it was his Grandma though) and Akthar's is too imo, i know he's not the most law abiding person in the world but i can't imagine knowingly taking a substance that could get him banned for the rest of his career.

I think it was more down to ignorance than any deliberate attempt to take illegal drugs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Personally I think both (and Asif too) are extremely unlikely to have deliberately taken banned substances - the trouble then, as I say, is that you can't "make an example" without a gross injustice to those concerned.

pup11

International Coach
My point then is when a player of warne's stature said that he didn't deliberately take the banned substance, he was not given any chance like asif and akthar have been given and was banned for 1 whole year. So why have different yardsticks for different players?

FRAZ

International Captain
Noone needs to prove anything in akthar's case, when PCB called him for a dope test he refused to come and said"I need to get my knee problem fixed first then i would turn up for the dope test". All he is trying to do here is give his body some extra time so that residues of the banned substance don't show in his body by then.
Link please !
Assumptions and flyers some time become the reality in the tender minds . And thats what today' s journalism is all about .
I want proof but all are assumptions, I am afraid !!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
My point then is when a player of warne's stature said that he didn't deliberately take the banned substance, he was not given any chance like asif and akthar have been given and was banned for 1 whole year. So why have different yardsticks for different players?
Because the different Boards have different rules.

Right or wrong, that's the way it is.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Personally I think both (and Asif too) are extremely unlikely to have deliberately taken banned substances - the trouble then, as I say, is that you can't "make an example" without a gross injustice to those concerned.
If you're playing professional sport, you have to make sure you know what you're putting into your body. If you're not willing to accept the consequences of a mistake as far as that is concerned, you shouldn't be playing professionally. 'Ignorance' is not a viable plea in this instance.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
So you should have every single thing that goes into your body tested for contamination?

Including the milk on the daily bowl of cereal?

open365

So you should have every single thing that goes into your body tested for contamination?

Including the milk on the daily bowl of cereal?
Richard, will you give up on this assumption that they took contaminated substances when you acctualy don't have a bloody clue what they took.

I read most of the report when they published it, i'm pretty sure contamination was not mentioned.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I'm making the point that if you get paranoid about what's going into your body, where do you stop?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It's not about paranoia. It's about professionalism. When taking any sort of mineral or supplement of any kind, an athlete should know exactly what is in it. It's the reason Shane Warne's "my mom gave me them" excuse was so pathetic.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
He should.

But the only way to do such a thing is to have everything tested. You can't rely on what it says on the packaging, because contamination is a fact of life. Believe me, I've suffered from such a thing very recently.