• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Performance Analysis from 03-07 in ODI's

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
Well, its time to look back. Which team made the best progress or which tam regressed since the last World Cup...here is my mini analysis

Australia- Did great to kep the bar on top of everyone's head untill last month when they lost 2 consective ODI series.......9 Points

Bangladesh- Besides a few upsets here and there, nothing really consistent. Beating the new zimbabwe barley counts.....negative 2 points

India- After reaching the grand finale last time, they showed unprecedented progress in 2003 however it followed a fall in performance and then again a good run while chasing totals in 2005 and a dissapointing CT and a fall in the rankings to #6 right before te WC....6 points

South Africa The only team which chased the aussies in the limited over race, and finally eclipsed them in the last month before the World Cup...8 Points

Newzealand Performed a little above average throughout the 4 yaer period. Did nt do anything noticable in multi nation tournaments.5 points

Pakistan Knocked down in the 2003 WC in the first round, the reitrments of Wasim,Waqar,Saqlain and Anwar in one blow. From 2003-2005 it marked the worst passge in the nation's cricket history. But a revival brought them back in the Top 3 for the most part of the next 2 years. They lost only 2 ODI series in the past 2 years...6 points

England They gave Bangladesh good company in bottom of the rankings for the most part of those 4 years. Besides winning a few games at home against the aussies, they were most in denail about thier performance in the ODI until now, when they gave Aus its first loss in a fianl in 13 years....1 point

West Indies The most bumpy road between the 2 WC's was taken by this team, 13 consective losses followed by a Champion's trophy victory followed by another 4 straight series loss followed by a 4-1 series win over India and then reaching the finals of 2 multi nation series only to lose to Aus in the finals both times...4 points

Sri Lanka In the past 4 years they have found a few very good young prospects and in the past 4 years some old horses are running if they were 4 old fillies. A very consistent building up process, with some losses and some victories. Marked by victories against Aus in Aus and againt Eng in Eng followed by a 6-0 thumping against India and 3-0 by Pakistan and a dissappointing CT.5 points

Kenya The semifinalist of the last episodes never got any decent oppourtunities in the past 4 years. Winning the World league is the silver linning since surprsing the whole world 4 years ago. Didnt get a chance to live up to the hype, but did well whenever the opportunity came up.2 points

Zimbabwe Well they are barely playing serios cricket, the crisis in the country have surfaced. All the big names ended thier career with the last WC and things look very dark in the future-100 to roberto mugabe

Please add your comments or something i missed

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
How does winning the World League give Kenya more points than England winning the CBS away from home against 2 very good teams? :blink:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's a subjective system.

A worded article outlining each team's progress would be more informative IMO.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
TBH, I understand its subjective but it seems pretty fair for most teams. England are a bit too low, West Indies are a bit too high.

Since the last World Cup, WI have the lowest winning percentage of any of the 8 major nations.

West Indies, since the last World Cup, are the only country of the major 8 that have a team bowling average higher than their team batting average AND conceed more runs per over than they score.

Its the trifecta of bottom rankings.

England a little higher, WI a little lower and the rest look ok.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Maybe the poster doesn't like England?

There are, after all, more than a few English posters who've made clear of late their contempt for Pakistan. 8-)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Maybe the poster doesn't like England?

There are, after all, more than a few English posters who've made clear of late their contempt for Pakistan. 8-)
And what has liking a nation got to do with making a balanced analysis of a situation?

Looks like you are just trying to stir things up.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well... someone who doesn't like England is likely to give them a lower rating than they deserve.

Someone (like EXD) who likes them too much is likely to give them a higher rating than they deserve (for cretinous reasons like "they don't choke, and I can give at least 1 example of when everyone else has").

I'm not trying to stir anything - just to suggest possible reasons for a rather bizarre system that's been posted.

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
How does winning the World League give Kenya more points than England winning the CBS away from home against 2 very good teams? :blink:
I am not saying that Kenya is better than England, but i think Kenya made more progress than England. England besides winning a big one lately havnt done anything serios in ODI's. While Kenya have played well when the opp prsented itself. And just like Australia they havnt let thier standard drop in thier league

WI, i have given them more points because they have done well in big tournaments, From where they were in 2003, they could have easily dropped to number 8 even 9 however they won the champion's trophy in 2004 and then reached the finals again in 2006. so despite the overall downward slope they have some major blips.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I am not saying that Kenya is better than England, but i think Kenya made more progress than England. England besides winning a big one lately havnt done anything serios in ODI's.

WI, i have given them more points because they have done well in big tournaments, From where they were in 2003, they could have easily dropped to number 8 even 9 however they won the champion's trophy in 2004 and then reached the finals again in 2006. so despite the overall downward slope they have some major blips.
Both England and WI missed out on The Super 6 in the last World Cup. Both started at a low level.

And if the points are given on progress rather than how good they are then South Africa must be a 10 as they missed out on a Super 6 place at home in the last World Cup (disaster) and they have therefore come by far the furthest. Following the progress theory, Australia dont deserve a 9 as they have regressed since the last World Cup and certainly cant get quite the same level of players on the field.

As I said, if it was being judged on form and performance, then I agree with most apart from Eng and WI. If it is on progress since the last WC then a number are wrong.

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
Both England and WI missed out on The Super 6 in the last World Cup.

And if the points are given on progress rather than how good they are then South Africa must be a 10 as they missed out on a SUper 6 place at home in the last World Cup (disaster) and Australia dont deserve a 9 as they have regressed since the last World Cup and certainly cant get quite the same level of players on the field.

As I said, if it was being judged on form and performance, then I agree with most apart from Eng and WI. If it is on progress since the last WC then a number are wrong.
Goughy the numbers are on progress...but not the progress from the result of the world cup...ENG is a very good test side and it is dissappointing that they cant convert thier performance in the smaller version. WI has an over all young team with a mis-managed cricket board and things were looking bad for them in 2003 but somehow every now and then they turn it around
South Africa-though got knocked out in the first round, they were still one of the best sides in the world at that time, so was Pakistan...that why i havnt given kenya negative points, even though they made it to the semi finals they were still minows.
Aus, well they won the cup and they were the best team in the world for most of thsoe 4 years, and for maintain that high bench mark i gave them the highest ranking. Lets see how long SA can stay at the top?

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Aus, well they won the cup and they were the best team in the world for most of thsoe 4 years, and for maintain that high bench mark i gave them the highest ranking. Lets see how long SA can stay at the top?
Australia has not made very much progress, if any, since the last World Cup. Maintaining a top ranking is not necessarily an indication of progress.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Goughy the numbers are on progress...but not the progress from the result of the world cup...ENG is a very good test side and it is dissappointing that they cant convert thier performance in the smaller version. WI has an over all young team with a mis-managed cricket board and things were looking bad for them in 2003 but somehow every now and then they turn it around
South Africa-though got knocked out in the first round, they were still one of the best sides in the world at that time, so was Pakistan...that why i havnt given kenya negative points, even though they made it to the semi finals they were still minows.
But still, how is Kenya making the Semis and then being a probable non-event this time round be more progress than an England team that missed out on the Super Sixes last time around?

I just dont see progress in Kenyan cricket. If the World League had have been played 5 years ago with ODI status, Kenya would have destroyed teams. If anything the other Associates have gone a long way to catching them up whilst the gap between Kenya and the Test nations has grown larger.

Since the last World Cup, Kenya have played 11 ODIs against Test playing nation (Bang, Pak, Sri, Ind) and lost them all and it is generally accepted that Kenyan cricket has declined dramatically over the past few years.

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
But still, how is Kenya making the Semis and then being a probable non-event this time round be more progress than an England team that missed out on the Super Sixes last time around?

I just dont see progress in Kenyan cricket. If the World League had have been played 5 years ago with ODI status, Kenya would have destroyed teams. If anything the other Associates have gone a long way to catching them up whilst the gap between Kenya and the Test nations has grown larger.

Since the last World Cup, Kenya have played 11 ODIs against Test playing nation (Bang, Pak, Sri, Ind) and lost them all and it is generally accepted that Kenyan cricket has declined dramatically over the past few years.
Well i think the answer to both question is that i give maintain the top position more credit than you guys do..i think a team which stays at the top for 3 years regardles of the fact that it was #1 for 5 years before that deserves a pat on the back....same thing goes for winning the World league in a row, there are many tems which showed promise like UAE but they just went down the drain. Kenya is still a contender for becoming a test side soon and i think maintaining that status for 4 years without any rewards deserves some rocognition. (all i gave them is 2 points guys)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Australia has not made very much progress, if any, since the last World Cup. Maintaining a top ranking is not necessarily an indication of progress.

Why wouldn't it?, if they hadn't mainted that ranking & had dropped down a great deal in the last 4 years, all would have said they Australia had declined since the last World Cup.

Natman20

International Debutant
I dont believe that. Australia have been nothing less than dominant. They have conqoured every team and outplayed every one during this time period with the only blemishes being the Ashes 2005 and the recent ODI series's. I think that there has been exaggerated hype that Australia have lost their mantle at the top every time they lose a match when really their win ratio has probably been double that of any other team for the last four years. I think they are as consistent as in 2003 and I think the world cup will be a chance for them to rectify recent performances.

rodzilla1010

U19 Cricketer
if i disregard the progress the average ranking for this 4 year period would be
1) Australia
2) South Africa
3) Pakistan
4) India
5)Newzealand/Sri Lanka
7)West Indies
8)England
9)Bang
10)Thud

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I hardly see how that matters.

If you have a score of 9 out of 10 it's rather hard to make any further progress. Just repeating that score is a hell of an achievement.

pup11

International Coach
Mr Mxyzpltk, your post is really baseless, aussies have beaten every team in their own backyard(barring england), they have also won the CT which they never had in their trophy cabinet, they also did beat India in India after 35 years in a test series. They have many other achievements during 03-07 so i can't understand what you are talking about?

FRAZ

International Captain
Well some what agree now , otherwise Australians have been pretty damn good !!!!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mr Mxyzpltk, your post is really baseless, aussies have beaten every team in their own backyard(barring england), they have also won the CT which they never had in their trophy cabinet, they also did beat India in India after 35 years in a test series. They have many other achievements during 03-07 so i can't understand what you are talking about?
Australia beat England 3-2 in our own backyard... :huh: