• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Ashes Series Thread

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Let all us non-Australians pray that England survive this test match without breaking any world-records in the process for biggest defeat or the like.

chris.hinton

International Captain
I think that Australia have been brilliant on the Opening day, England have been ok but Ponting, Hayden are Awesome at the minute. Only Hoggard and Jones bowled Well, Jones is now out for 6 mouths, We do not have luck do we, Australia dont have that many Injures

We will lose this Test but Hopefully we will fight until the final day our Stengths is batting and if Trescotick and Vaughan get a 150 partnership who kmnows we might draw, we cannot win the Test

I think it time for Giles to go and Bring in Scofield who training with England at the minute, Giles may have got Ponting but Giles Bowled some Dross.

All in All we Expected this to happen, Australia are pole apart from England, they are simply the best team in sport

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by chris.hinton
I think it time for Giles to go and Bring in Scofield who training with England at the minute, Giles may have got Ponting but Giles Bowled some Dross.

All in All we Expected this to happen, Australia are pole apart from England, they are simply the best team in sport
What??? From all aoc****s Giles seemed to be the only bowler that did ok today. All the comm' I listen to last night (up to 1/2 after Tea) they were all praising the guy for a job well done as he bowled tight and had an attempted catches put down.

Like I have said before I didn't actually see the game, so can comment any more... but unless Giles fell apart in the final hour which I missed then he seemed to do ok.

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by marc71178
Originally posted by Rik
This guy makes things happen though you need someone like him in a team
Well, we're doomed then!
What do you mean Marc we still have ummm.....ummmm

Oh yeah Harmison and yours and Neil's best mate A.Tudor (And Saggers is waitting at the airport for the call :D ) :P :D

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by marc71178
Originally posted by Tim
I think considering that Robert Key was in quite attacking form during the warm-ups that he should come in for John Crawley in the next test, its the only way England have a hope of beating Australia..you can't have batsmen who bat all day for 40 or 50 odd runs.

That was the secret to success for NZ, they played the likes of Astle, Cairns & McMillan. England must do the same.
Problem is his lack of experience batting in the middle order.
That's true, but the guy has a good head and I feel he could do it, plus Key is in fine form both with Kent last season and England on this tour.... All Key played with the academy last year and hit loads of runs out here in Australia so he has the advantage of being used to the pitches...

Oh well the guys have gone for JC and lets hope his form chances and he does well..... mind you not the best team to face if your looking for form.

As for the match... I can't see why England can't draw this Test... afterall the Aussies will bat to at least Tea tommorow leaving 3 days to bat.... and even less if England can advoid the follow-on.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
I saw the catch and I feel it was a fair catch...if a bit of a hard desision to make really but I would have gone with Jones.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
I was expecting some bashing from the aussies on the forum.....nothing !! :wow:
Things have changed :D

The start to the series that England were not hoping for and which Australia were anticipating.....

How do things look for England now with Jones out ? (real hard luck for England and himself BTW, nothing could have gone worse for him)

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by Rik
Why did we pick White Why Why Why? *Hits head on wall repeatedly*
Umm has a Test batting avg of 43, hit 94* against India @ Trent Bridge before getting an injury. Will get good bounce etc on the Aussie pitches and finally what other All-Rounder are there Corky, Ealham

Who would you have taken????

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by Gotchya
I was expecting some bashing from the aussies on the forum.....nothing !! :wow:
Things have changed :D

The start to the series that England were not hoping for and which Australia were anticipating.....

How do things look for England now with Jones out ? (real hard luck for England and himself BTW, nothing could have gone worse for him)
Well I think the aussies know that they have got a good start but it's only 1 day's play so far... until the English bat nobody really knows just how competive the series will be. And had England taken their catches the whole situation could have been a whole lot better/closer.

As for Jones, it could have been worse....he might not have taken a wicket :P :D

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain
Hussain committed a blunder by not batting first....he was talking about all the aggressive cricket etc. in this Ashes and when the opportunity showed up for England to take the initiative by batting first and trying to pile up a big enough score, he chickened out at the mere thought of facing McGrath and Co. in the morning.....

This sucks.... I hate to see the Aussies steamroller someone but that's what is gonna happen here, I guess :(!:(!

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by aussie_beater
Hussain committed a blunder by not batting first....he was talking about all the aggressive cricket etc. in this Ashes and when the opportunity showed up for England to take the initiative by batting first and trying to pile up a big enough score, he chickened out at the mere thought of facing McGrath and Co. in the morning.....

This sucks.... I hate to see the Aussies steamroller someone but that's what is gonna happen here, I guess :(!:(!
Yeah, but surley with a in-experianced side you need to give them the best possible conditions, and as many of you have said the morning of the first day can be quite spicy and Nasser was hoping that if he could get a couple of early wickets and get into the Aussie middle order quickly.

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
Well I think the aussies know that they have got a good start but it's only 1 day's play so far... until the English bat nobody really knows just how competive the series will be. And had England taken their catches the whole situation could have been a whole lot better/closer.
hehe you missed the point....I said Aussies.....crow crow :bird:

PS. They have every right to.....

As for Jones, it could have been worse....he might not have taken a wicket
Nope. Wicket or no wicket....he needed to be out there. Its shattering to go out this way, he may have expected a not so succesful run in the game but now he'll never know until next time ?

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Originally posted by Rich2001
Originally posted by Rik
Umm has a Test batting avg of 43, hit 94* against India @ Trent Bridge before getting an injury. Will get good bounce etc on the Aussie pitches and finally what other All-Rounder are there Corky, Ealham

Someone who can bowl maybe?

aussie_beater

State Vice-Captain

Yeah, but surley with a in-experianced side you need to give them the best possible conditions, and as many of you have said the morning of the first day can be quite spicy and Nasser was hoping that if he could get a couple of early wickets and get into the Aussie middle order quickly.
Yes, the Gabba can offer good movement etc. in the first day morning, only if the conditions are a bit muggy and overcast.But yesterday it was as dry as it can be...that's what the reports say from Brisbane.

And let's face it....England doesn't have the best of attacks to make a serious enough dent on the awesome Aussie batting lineup.No one in his sane mind can expect that this English bowling will run through the Aussie lineup in favourable batting conditions.And that is reason enough to give the batsman a chance to make the runs and then maybe put some pressure on the opposition.

We'll see how England bats second.....

Gotchya

State Vice-Captain
I agree there with you, before the test Nasser wanted to put the pressure on the aussies this time around, this was their chance to put up a decent score on the board and see how Australia responded but not to be. Needless to say, It will be hard work for england, its exactly the opposite of Nassers commitment earlier.

Rich2001

International Captain
Originally posted by Rik
Originally posted by Rik

Someone who can bowl maybe?
Again the question is WHO????